There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-11-2023, 03:24 PM)Horizon Wrote: Btw, anyone know the age of Nkuhlus? Going by the latest pics of the two here, they must be around 5 years at least.

They are Kambula young males generation, born from around mid to late 2018, some maybe even in 2019, like the youngest/injured male.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-11-2023, 04:13 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-11-2023, 03:49 PM)Horizon Wrote: Tr1x24, I see it now in the above video (back ranks, closer to the camera). Injury doesn’t seem to be serious, his condition is ok.

Thats not that one, youngest/injured male is not on the video, he is not with them there atm, as it says 6 males in total, and Dreadlocks is there.

Thats another brother who is slightly limping recently, but nothing too serious for now.

Injured male prob has hard time following them, he also is not ready for any serious clash/chasing scenarios, given his state.

This boys already look bigger then Dreadlocks, Snip Tailed male looks to be one of the more dominant and confident ones, always leading the way, alongside Smudge Nosed male, who is biggest and oldest, with biggest mane of all (first 2 males on the video).

I dont think Dreadlocks is in any leading role there, as some people say that he will lead them in war with his experience, i think he is more of a supportive cast.

Overall very scary company once they get full confidence against territorial males, which will be soon looks like.

If they chose Sabi Sands, years of warfare are ahead of us.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

‘6 Nkuhlus’ is what we are hearing of late. So could this be 5 Nkuhlus + Dreadlocks rather than 6 Nkuhlus? Any info on when this boy last linked up with their brothers?

(05-11-2023, 03:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I dont think Dreadlocks is in any leading role there, as some people say that he will lead them in war with his experience, i think he is more of a supportive 

Think so too. It’s looking that way. The 6 boys took their own time at the end of the last year and early this year as they were passing through different territories. Now, they are feeling and testing the strength of territorial males. There is no way Dreadlock can accelerate this progress by leading or pushing them into wars by saying, “come on, we got this”. If they are not ready, they will simply run away.
Yes, that pic of Snip tailed boy and his brother there looks scary.
1 user Likes Horizon's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Well, it would appear that Dreadlocks is around.  And they are going to keep wandering in Sabie.

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Cath2020 Offline

(05-11-2023, 02:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-11-2023, 02:02 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That being said. Do the Avocas still have any cubs in the danger zone? Otherwise they would be a good candidate for a take over.

They have around 1 year old cubs in Plains Camp pride.

Also, their subs in Sand River pride are also quite young.

They have plenty already 2+ years old, too.  There are at least 4 Sand River subs well over 2 and I'm not sure about the Plains Camp Pride, but there must be at least one litter much older by the S. Avocas since one of their sons killed a female Styx Sub.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-11-2023, 07:21 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: They have plenty already 2+ years old, too.  There are at least 4 Sand River subs well over 2 and I'm not sure about the Plains Camp Pride, but there must be at least one litter much older by the S. Avocas since one of their sons killed a female Styx Sub.

Subs in Sand River pride vary in age, theres even newborn cubs there.

Yes, this is 2nd gen of offspring in Plains Camp pride, out of first, i only know of 1 male and 1 female who where recently in Sabi Sands.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@criollo2mil 

Isn't Lions Sand close to the the heart of Gijimas territory? I'm very worried now, things are looking very ugly.

And holy cow all the Nkhulus totally dwarf the prime DeLaporte male, they completely surpassed him since the first time they were in SS, I'm dumbfounded by how small Dreadlocks looks in comparison. Mantimahle blood is no joke.

Though it's interesting that one Nkhulu is not with them, still it hardly makes a difference.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(05-11-2023, 10:48 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @criollo2mil 

Isn't Lions Sand close to the the heart of Gijimas territory? I'm very worried now, things are looking very ugly.

And holy cow all the Nkhulus totally dwarf the prime DeLaporte male, they completely surpassed him since the first time they were in SS, I'm dumbfounded by how small Dreadlocks looks in comparison. Mantimahle blood is no joke.

Though it's interesting that one Nkhulu is not with them, still it hardly makes a difference.

Id consider LS their southern most portion.   They do spend lots of time in the Sabi Sabi and unkumbe reserves.   

And the Nkuhulus look to be straddling the LS and KK region.   So they’re in both GIjima and S Avoca lands.  

Styx, Sand River, and SP are in the danger zone and should be on alert.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-11-2023, 10:48 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Isn't Lions Sand close to the the heart of Gijimas territory? I'm very worried now, things are looking very ugly.

This was filmed over the river, in Lion Sands KNP, which is not territory of Gijimas.

In this area, around northern Skukuza , Nkuhlus hang for quite some time now, this is "empty" area, without constant presence of territorial males, or prides, one of the reasons why they hang there in the first place.

But recent encounter between Gijimas and Nkuhlus happened in Gijimas territory, where they managed to chase them south.

Week or so ago they ventured into S.Avocas territory, also where chased.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-11-2023, 10:48 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @criollo2mil 

i hope the injured boy is alright

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

There's a video of 4 Nkhulus loudly roaring. They'll make their move at any time now IMO, be it against Gijimas, Avocas or somebody else but I don't see them not trying in one or two months from now.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 06:45 AM by criollo2mil )

(05-12-2023, 05:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: There's a video of 4 Nkhulus loudly roaring. They'll make their move at any time now IMO, be it against Gijimas, Avocas or somebody else but I don't see them not trying in one or two months from now.

Here’s the video

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2185162988...tid=0NULKw
7 users Like criollo2mil's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 12:19 PM by lionuk )

5 Nkhula young males
Credit: Lion Sands

5 users Like lionuk's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Summary May 12, 2023.

5 users Like afortich's post

1999gc8 Offline

Latest update from Scar.

6 users Like 1999gc8's post