There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States T_Ferguson Online

(05-09-2023, 12:39 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 08:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: And so it begins.  Looks like the Nkhulu males indeed are going to test out Sabi Sands.  I guess the question is if Dreadlocks is with them.  I would imagine they are more dangerous with him on board.  Lots and lots of cubs in Sabi right now.  Not a good time for a large coalition takeover.

The 6 younger boys I didn’t see dreadlocks but I could be wrong

Yeah.. that was the part that wasn't clear.  If it's the 6 younger, then maybe it'll be fine, but if Dreadlocks is with them, things could begin.  Southern Avocas would be first in the line of fire, but they've already fended them off once if reports are to be believed.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(05-09-2023, 03:08 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 12:39 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 08:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: And so it begins.  Looks like the Nkhulu males indeed are going to test out Sabi Sands.  I guess the question is if Dreadlocks is with them.  I would imagine they are more dangerous with him on board.  Lots and lots of cubs in Sabi right now.  Not a good time for a large coalition takeover.

The 6 younger boys I didn’t see dreadlocks but I could be wrong

Yeah.. that was the part that wasn't clear.  If it's the 6 younger, then maybe it'll be fine, but if Dreadlocks is with them, things could begin.  Southern Avocas would be first in the line of fire, but they've already fended them off once if reports are to be believed.

I’ll try to post the recent video but all 6 males looked like they had smaller manes

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Mohawk with his subadults, Talamati boy, Ottawa youngsters and more.

5 users Like afortich's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

There’s a thought that Dreadlocks would lead Nkhulus in the takeovers. Fair to see it that way as Dreadlocks was territorial before. But not sure it will work out like that in reality. Nkhulus are not his original partners. If they run away from territorial males, Dreadlocks can do nothing. I suspect a takeover would happen once Nkhulu males feel they have strength in the coalition. 

There were 5 to 6 Birmingham Breakway Boys that roamed in Timbavati (Still likely there albeit in lesser numbers). Those males looked a bit stronger than Nkhulus and a few of them were well over 5 years of age. They knew the existence of two Skorro males but nothing happened. So, Nkhulus might push out dominant males or might take time, we don’t know.. If these boys encounter Talamatis, it would be easier. (If that happens, it would draw a parallel to 6 young Bila Shakas taking over Topi Pride).
5 users Like Horizon's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

SINGITA SABI SAND MONTHLY WILDLIFE REPORT - April 2023

Lions

• In the north an interesting development is taking place as six male lions consisting of a few...from the Nkuhuma Pride [and Talamati Pride] and their [male relative], the northern Avoca male lion, are spending time together. For now, it is too early to say what will happen, but we will be keeping an eye on them and their movements as they look to settle out of the way of bigger males. The Plains Camp lions have a firm grip on territory to the south, but the north is largely unoccupied.

• The three Ntsevu Breakaway males and their lone sister have been a regular occurrence in the south, often near buffalo which graze daily in the grasslands. These young lions are still learning their abilities and provide great viewing. Earlier in the month Andries and his guests watched as they successfully took down a buffalo calf close to Castleton Camp. A crucial meal for their development and confidence as young hunters.
10 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Some of Nkuhlus in a standoff with Gijimas at Sabi Sabi :

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Summary May 10, 2023

5 users Like afortich's post

United States Saint Offline

(05-09-2023, 06:03 PM)Horizon Wrote: There’s a thought that Dreadlocks would lead Nkhulus in the takeovers. Fair to see it that way as Dreadlocks was territorial before. But not sure it will work out like that in reality. Nkhulus are not his original partners. If they run away from territorial males, Dreadlocks can do nothing. I suspect a takeover would happen once Nkhulu males feel they have strength in the coalition. 

There were 5 to 6 Birmingham Breakway Boys that roamed in Timbavati (Still likely there albeit in lesser numbers). Those males looked a bit stronger than Nkhulus and a few of them were well over 5 years of age. They knew the existence of two Skorro males but nothing happened. So, Nkhulus might push out dominant males or might take time, we don’t know.. If these boys encounter Talamatis, it would be easier. (If that happens, it would draw a parallel to 6 young Bila Shakas taking over Topi Pride).

They might move on or more likely make small inroads back into Gijima territory then all of a sudden all it might take is 1 of the young Nkhulus to decide to engage and if his brothers and DL are motivated by his aggressive behavior and follow it could end with the Gijima males being overthrown or killed. We all know how with lions things can change in an instant.

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-10-2023, 11:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Some of Nkuhlus in a standoff with Gijimas at Sabi Sabi :

They need to be careful. Its basically impossible for  them to hold their territory if the Nkulus ever decide to challenge as they massively outnumber.
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-11-2023, 07:18 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: They need to be careful. Its basically impossible for  them to hold their territory if the Nkulus ever decide to challenge as they massively outnumber.

Well yea, i hope it doesnt come to that, it would be shame that such young coalition like Gijimas gets ousted or even worse at this point.

Also that would bring another instability to whole Sabi Sands, as Gijimas would prob he pushed further north towards Ndhzengas and Kambulas.

It looks like Nkuhlus are without Dreadlocks here atm, and 6th, youngest male is limping and not in great condition, so its basically 5 vs 2, still massively outnumbered tho.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It would be best if the Gijimas did a bit more than chasing and reduced their opponents numbers a bit. Becouse this is otherwise going to be messy if those two clash later. 

That being said. Do the Avocas still have any cubs in the danger zone? Otherwise they would be a good candidate for a take over.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-11-2023, 02:02 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That being said. Do the Avocas still have any cubs in the danger zone? Otherwise they would be a good candidate for a take over.

They have around 1 year old cubs in Plains Camp pride.

Also, their subs in Sand River pride are also quite young.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Moderators

(05-11-2023, 02:02 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: It would be best if the Gijimas did a bit more than chasing and reduced their opponents numbers a bit.
Come on, man. That is so risky, they did the best they could to keep them away for now. Recently, 2 Shishangenis were slightly outnumbered by Gomondwanes but pressed on aggressively and got into huge trouble. If they find any of them alone,  Gijimas would by instinct attack them. I think there is a reason why they didn’t overpress and left the trouble for another day.

Btw, anyone know the age of Nkuhlus? Going by the latest pics of the two here, they must be around 5 years at least.

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

“ The lion dynamics are possibly undergoing changes - or are they? On one side of the Sabie River, the presence of new life can be seen as cubs from the Sand River and Southern pride bring joy. However, on the other side, seven male lions currently reside, believed to be one Delaporte male and six Nkuhlu males.⁠

These lions have been seen fairly regularly on the Kruger Park side of the river. Recently, one of the @MOREFieldGuideCollege career course students, on an internship at Tinga and Narina Lodges, was fortunate enough to witness these males on patrol. Interestingly, there were only six of them this time.⁠

It is only a matter of time before they venture across the Sabie River in search of territory and potential mates among the different prides.⁠

? Aaron Pincus - @aaron_pincus⁠
? Lion Sands part of @morefamilycollection⁠”

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Moderators

(05-11-2023, 12:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 6th, youngest male is limping and not in great condition

Tr1x24, I see it now in the above video (back ranks, closer to the camera). Injury doesn’t seem to be serious, his condition is ok.