There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(05-15-2023, 06:22 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @NLAL11 Idk of any litter she has ever had. The earliest I know about her adult life is when her fathers were ousted ( she and her sisters were less than 4,5yo ) and Selatis took over the pride.

Flashforward a few months and her 2 sisters had a bunch of cubs but she didn't, however she was seen happily playing with her nephews in the first sighting of all the cubs ( which can be seen on Rob the Ranger's video at the time ).

I'm not entirely sure if the Othawa pride had cubs before the Selatis took over, much less if she specifically had cubs. I think I recall some talk about her having a litter once but I honestly have never seen any evidence of that.

I had always that rumor about a litter but like you’ve said, I have never seen evidence.

Rob documented quite extensively the litters of the Othowas w the selati and always remarked about one being cubless.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

On this episode: 
Ximhungwe Pride
Ottawa Pride
Ntsevu Coalition
Plains Camp males

12 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

2/2 Black Dam males seen on Wildearth Sunrise Drive today

*This image is copyright of its original author

11 users Like lionuk's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

As daybreak fell, we followed up on the Talamati Pride. Knowing they had made a warthog kill the night before, we headed straight in the direction of the closest waterhole and found the females around the waterhole and soon after the male appeared out of the treeline making his way to the water. With lions being known as opportunistic hunters they chased after zebra and Blue wildebeest in the vicinity before settling down to drink water and relax as they overlooked the open plain ahead of them.
Photo credit: Ruan Mey and Dieter Lategan

11 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@lionuk holy cow Ximhungwe has a very very bad limp, I wonder what happened to her, but it's very worrisome.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United States KNPLimper Offline
New Join

(05-16-2023, 12:50 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @lionuk holy cow Ximhungwe has a very very bad limp, I wonder what happened to her, but it's very worrisome.

Did Ginger sire the two Othawa pride females?

Who sired the two Southern pride females?

RookiePundit Offline

(05-16-2023, 04:11 PM)KNPLimper Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 12:50 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @lionuk holy cow Ximhungwe has a very very bad limp, I wonder what happened to her, but it's very worrisome.

Did Ginger sire the two Othawa pride females?

Who sired the two Southern pride females?

Tumbela coalition (Skorro being most probable)

Ndzhenga coalition (Ubuso probable based on appearance of one of them as cubs, notably wide head with wider nose, prominent Ubuso feature, could be just coincidence thpugh)
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-16-2023, 07:30 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: Ndzhenga coalition (Ubuso probable based on appearance of one of them as cubs, notably wide head with wider nose, prominent Ubuso feature, could be just coincidence thpugh)

Prob Amahle or OE based of subs look and mating hierarcy ( OE seen first mating with SP female), but WN did hang with them the most.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@KNPLimper Ginger sired the adult Othawa female ( now in the Ximhungwe pride ), Tumbelas sired Othawas subadults.

@RookiePundit people on FB seems to believe the subs look like Skorro's brothers but I hope Skorro is the one to have sired them because the other 2 weren't healthy.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-16-2023, 12:50 AM)Mapokser Wrote: holy cow Ximhungwe has a very very bad limp, I wonder what happened to her, but it's very worrisome.
I think it's likely due to hunting. She didn't have a limp last month, and hopefully she will make a full recovery soon.
3 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I dont think the ailments that the Tumbella brothers had were genetic. So it wouldn't matter much who sired the cubs. 
Besides. We shouldn't underestimate Limper. That guy was a fighter. His illness unfortunately got the best of him in the end.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 12:44 AM by Mapokser )

@Duco Ndona didn't they had TB? Didn't the Nkuhuma male who sired them also had TB? Skorro's father Skorro didn't have TB and was also unrelated to the NK male.

I don't know if vulnerability to TB has anything to do with genetics but I'd rather have a father and grandfather who didn't got it than a father and grandfather who did.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-17-2023, 12:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Duco Ndona didn't they had TB? Didn't the Nkuhuma male who sired them also had TB? Skorro's father Skorro didn't have TB and was also unrelated to the NK male.

I don't know if vulnerability to TB has anything to do with genetics but I'd rather have a father and grandfather who didn't got it than a father and grandfather who did.

Its not know which disease they had, is it TB or not, as they also had that "black spot".

Also those bacteria diseases are not genetical from what i understand, you get infected by consuming them from the wild.

Its far more likely they consumed same infected carcass when they where young.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its a bacterial pathogen. So not something you can easily evolve out off. 
It could have been just down to luck that Skorro never contracted it or his overall health could have been well enough to beat it. 

I dont think we can compare the genetic legacy of individual lions on just this specific trait. There have been plenty of great lions that weren't immune to the pathogen.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 03:58 AM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 

Lots of lions have that black spot and are perfectly healthy. NK male has it, was a nomad basically his entire life, lost multiples partners and got beaten up multiple times and is still in foperfect condition, meanwhile Tumbelas as young dominant males quickly died. Another example of an older lion is Imbali, also has it and is also in great shape.