There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-12-2023, 12:18 PM)lionuk Wrote: 5 Nkhula young males
Credit: Lion Sands

quick question from my understanding there was total of 9 didnt 2 them got lost did they ever have updates of the other 2 brothers who never got back to the group ?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-13-2023, 05:37 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: quick question from my understanding there was total of 9 didnt 2 them got lost did they ever have updates of the other 2 brothers who never got back to the group ?

No idea were 2 remaining are, if they are alive even.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Extended footage of the events that transpired when the Styx female sub adult was killed last week

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-13-2023, 05:41 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-13-2023, 05:37 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: quick question from my understanding there was total of 9 didnt 2 them got lost did they ever have updates of the other 2 brothers who never got back to the group ?

Didnt they split into a group of 7 and 2? The split 2 dissapeared and and remaining 7 joined Dreadlocks, and now 5/7 remain with him
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-14-2023, 02:42 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:

Didnt they split into a group of 7 and 2? The split 2 dissapeared and and remaining 7 joined Dreadlocks, and now 5/7 remain with him

you mean 6 remain with dreadlock total 7 but what was story with other 2 didnt they escape kruger and got relocated ?

Ttimemarti Offline

(05-14-2023, 04:01 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 02:42 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:

you mean 6 remain with dreadlock total 7 but what was story with other 2 didnt they escape kruger and got relocated ?

I think the story said 3 males escaped but I’d think they’re still with their pride I mean they’re younger than the oldest 5 boys but idk
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

NLAL11 Offline

Kambula lioness (most likely K6) got too aggressive with some cubs and the other lioness put her in her place. An Ndzenga/N'Waswitshaka male steps in to calm things down.

About bloody time! I'm fairly certain she's the Kambula lioness that has killed cubs in the pride before, so this is a serious matter for the other lionesses. As she's never had cubs, she's probably lacking in certain brain chemistry that makes her softer towards the cubs.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-14-2023, 04:17 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think the story said 3 males escaped but I’d think they’re still with their pride I mean they’re younger than the oldest 5 boys but idk

3 males that escaped where not Nkuhlus.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-14-2023, 05:56 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: About bloody time! I'm fairly certain she's the Kambula lioness that has killed cubs in the pride before, so this is a serious matter for the other lionesses. As she's never had cubs, she's probably lacking in certain brain chemistry that makes her softer towards the cubs.

Well, i dont think she killed cubs of her own pride, but yea, she is very feisty and often fights with other girls, especially young females, who dont tolerate her being bossy.

NLAL11 Offline

(05-14-2023, 06:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 05:56 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: About bloody time! I'm fairly certain she's the Kambula lioness that has killed cubs in the pride before, so this is a serious matter for the other lionesses. As she's never had cubs, she's probably lacking in certain brain chemistry that makes her softer towards the cubs.

Well, i dont think she killed cubs of her own pride, but yea, she is very feisty and often fights with other girls, especially young females, who dont tolerate her being bossy.

In a Mala Mala video from ages ago, one of the rangers said that a Kambula lioness killed the cubs of a less dominant lioness in her own pride. It was a video where a lioness and her quite young cubs are on a carcass, and another lioness arrives and is very aggressive. Ranger then mentioned it to a guest. So it definitely happened in the Kambula pride, and I've always suspected it was K6.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-14-2023, 06:26 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: In a Mala Mala video from ages ago, one of the rangers said that a Kambula lioness killed the cubs of a less dominant lioness in her own pride. It was a video where a lioness and her quite young cubs are on a carcass, and another lioness arrives and is very aggressive. Ranger then mentioned it to a guest. So it definitely happened in the Kambula pride, and I've always suspected it was K6.

Oh, yes i remember, i forgot about that.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I'd say K6 is like this for the obvious reason she's not a mother but her own aunt from the Othawa pride was also sterile but treated the pride's cubs as her own and risked her life many times for them, ending up dying for them, so it's probably just a personality thing.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The differences between her and auntie are indeed day and night. Though her infertility and aggression may be related if its a hormonal issue. 
We will know if she starts growing a mane.

NLAL11 Offline

(05-15-2023, 12:21 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'd say K6 is like this for the obvious reason she's not a mother but her own aunt from the Othawa pride was also sterile but treated the pride's cubs as her own and risked her life many times for them, ending up dying for them, so it's probably just a personality thing.

I was thinking about Aunty Othawa as I wrote the post. Isn't she supposed to have had one litter fairly early in life that she lost? And then never had any other litters? If that's true, then she would have gone through the neuro chemical changes, and then had no cubs (of her own) to care for, hence why she was such a great aunt. Or if she didn't, then you're right in it's most likely just personality.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 06:23 AM by Mapokser )

@NLAL11 Idk of any litter she has ever had. The earliest I know about her adult life is when her fathers were ousted ( she and her sisters were less than 4,5yo ) and Selatis took over the pride.

Flashforward a few months and her 2 sisters had a bunch of cubs but she didn't, however she was seen happily playing with her nephews in the first sighting of all the cubs ( which can be seen on Rob the Ranger's video at the time ).

I'm not entirely sure if the Othawa pride had cubs before the Selatis took over, much less if she specifically had cubs. I think I recall some talk about her having a litter once but I honestly have never seen any evidence of that.