There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2023, 10:36 AM)sundarbans Wrote: Any idea which of the 3 Mhangeni lionesses have given birth to the cubs mentioned in the report?

Apperantly 3 younger ones, Tinya and 2 Majingilane daughters.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

LONDOLOZI BLOG WEEK IN PICTURES #595

The Tsalala Lioness has also been vocalizing in the Manyeleti River as we suspect she begins her quest for advertising her presence and trying to find a mate.

1. After spotting fresh tracks of the Tsalala Lioness as we crossed the Manyeleti River, tracker Equalizer Ndlovu radioed me not three minutes after following the tracks on foot to say he had spotted her further upstream in the riverbed. We sat with her for a while as she let off a few loud calls. Could she be coming into oestrus and looking to find a mate?

2. Full-bellied, the Tsalala Lioness gazed up the bank of the riverbed. She could probably hear something in the distance in that direction that was too far for us to hear.

Photos and captions by Kate Arthur

Attached Files Image(s)

12 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(05-07-2023, 03:29 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: LONDOLOZI BLOG WEEK IN PICTURES #595

The Tsalala Lioness has also been vocalizing in the Manyeleti River as we suspect she begins her quest for advertising her presence and trying to find a mate.

1. After spotting fresh tracks of the Tsalala Lioness as we crossed the Manyeleti River, tracker Equalizer Ndlovu radioed me not three minutes after following the tracks on foot to say he had spotted her further upstream in the riverbed. We sat with her for a while as she let off a few loud calls. Could she be coming into oestrus and looking to find a mate?

2. Full-bellied, the Tsalala Lioness gazed up the bank of the riverbed. She could probably hear something in the distance in that direction that was too far for us to hear.

Photos and captions by Kate Arthur

I love princess Tsalala!!
5 users Like afortich's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The two Black Dam Male Lions have been making a bit of a name on Londolozi of late. After spending the morning deep in the Ndzhenga Males' territory, they walk towards the Sand River in response to the calls of a lioness who they had been trailing all morning.

8 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-07-2023, 03:54 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-07-2023, 03:00 PM)Potato Wrote: The two Black Dam Male Lions have been making a bit of a name on Londolozi of late. After spending the morning deep in the Ndzhenga Males' territory, they walk towards the Sand River in response to the calls of a lioness who they had been trailing all morning

This boys are still trying to "carve" their territory in between S8, Ndhzengas and PC males terriories and see which pride/females they can acquire.

With them and Talamatis hanging around western/central Londolozi atm, there is a chance they meet.

BDM's acquiring Talamatis in this territory between this 3 coalition would be the best outcome, as Talamatis are free for taking and settling down.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

NLAL11 Offline

(05-07-2023, 03:00 PM)Potato Wrote: The two Black Dam Male Lions have been making a bit of a name on Londolozi of late. After spending the morning deep in the Ndzhenga Males' territory, they walk towards the Sand River in response to the calls of a lioness who they had been trailing all morning.

Sean said that it was possibly a Talamati lioness the Black Dam boys were responding to, but it could very likely be the Tsalala girl, as we know she tends to hang around the Sand River and has been seen/heard vocalising recently. Would be much better for her to mate with these boys than the Kambulas, some of which will be her half-brothers. As long as they stick around and don't abandon her too early into raising the cubs.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

Contributor

Looks like members of the Torchwood Pride w two males suspected to be Matinmahle sons. Woweee.

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-07-2023, 08:23 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Looks like members of the Torchwood Pride w two males suspected to be Matinmahle sons.   Woweee.  

That is a nice twist in the dynamics in the region. I though Torchwood pride could potentially be an opportunity for the Black Dam males, but it seems this spot is already taken.
4 users Like Potato's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-07-2023, 09:28 PM)Potato Wrote:
(05-07-2023, 08:23 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Looks like members of the Torchwood Pride w two males suspected to be Matinmahle sons.   Woweee.  

That is a nice twist in the dynamics in the region. I though Torchwood pride could potentially be an opportunity for the Black Dam males, but it seems this spot is already taken.

so happy for these males they finally are kings are they there cubs ? i feel in that area there alot lone males that can  be easily defeated
2 users Like kobe8jf1234's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Throwback to Big Black, the Londolozi male lion from the 70s:

*This image is copyright of its original author

He sure lives up to the "Big" part of his name.
10 users Like Mapokser's post

1999gc8 Offline

At the start of this clip it mentions the Nkhulu males in Sabi Sands. Pics and video footage taken yesterday.

8 users Like 1999gc8's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

2/2 Southern Black Dam males seen in Londolozi last week. The were seen with Chela Nkuhuma and Clipped Ear Talamati female separately recently. 
Credit: Velt_like_it

10 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor

Ximunghwe ladies 

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

And so it begins.  Looks like the Nkhulu males indeed are going to test out Sabi Sands.  I guess the question is if Dreadlocks is with them.  I would imagine they are more dangerous with him on board.  Lots and lots of cubs in Sabi right now.  Not a good time for a large coalition takeover.

9 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(05-08-2023, 08:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: And so it begins.  Looks like the Nkhulu males indeed are going to test out Sabi Sands.  I guess the question is if Dreadlocks is with them.  I would imagine they are more dangerous with him on board.  Lots and lots of cubs in Sabi right now.  Not a good time for a large coalition takeover.

The 6 younger boys I didn’t see dreadlocks but I could be wrong
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post