There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 12:05 AM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 Sure I was just saying that BDM wasn't an impressive lion so it's to be expected he wouldn't look big close to the Kambula.

But I almost forgot, about Imbali, it's definitely not the standard for lions to be as bold as he is. Old lions don't expand ( when they rarely do is when they have the numbers to do so ), specially while outnumbered, his behavior shows extreme confidence and boldness, another male would stay "low" in the core of his territory enjoying his remaining time as dominant male and praying nobody would bother him. What you describe as "he has nothing to lose because he's 10+" is the actual opposite of how lions think, he has everything to lose, a single wrong move and he lose his good life as a dominant male or even his life and this is how lions think, they want to get old and live as much as they can, not risk dying in a glorious battle "while they are still strong to expand and take opportunities".

Maybe despite being 10+ already he is still in his prime or just slightly out of it so he still has that drive to compete and expand, but this is still very rare behavior, your average lion would never do the stuff he does at the same age and circumstances.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(05-01-2023, 11:53 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 11:52 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 10:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 10:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 08:51 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: He chased and split them up, eventually finding Avoca and 1 of the males on the EP airstrip.

This other young male was prob Blonde Talamati, no? As he was with Mohawk.

I am not sure if that was ever confirmed.  I think we all wanted to believe it was Blonde Talamati, but nobody ever said it was for certain.  I thought Blonde was back with his brother myself.  So confusing.  hahaha

The Blonde Talamati was definitely w Mohawk yesterday,,,,see post in the Talamati thread.   I do believe the ‘son’ referenced in the report is most likely him.   Since the 4 Nkuhuma YMs are together separately
Yeah, that thread said it was Kambula and not Talamati.  Am I missing something?

Here.  https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-talamati-pride?pid=189506#pid189506

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-02-2023, 12:02 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 Sure I was just saying that BDM wasn't an impressive lion so it's to be expected he wouldn't look big close to the Kambula.

But I almost forgot, about Imbali, it's definitely not the standard for lions to be as bold as he is. Old lions don't expand ( when they rarely do is when they have the numbers to do so ), specially while outnumbered, his behavior shows extreme confidence and boldness, another male would stay "low" in the core of his territory enjoying his remaining time as dominant male and praying nobody would bother him. What you describe as "he has nothing to lose because he's 10+" is the actual opposite of how lions think, he has everything to lose, a single wrong move and he lose his good life as a dominant or even his life and this is how lions think, they want to get old and live as much as they can, not risk dying in a glorious battle "while they are still strong to expand and take opportunities".

Maybe despite being 10+ already he is still in his prime or just slightly out of it so he still has that drive to compete and expand, but this is still very rare behavior, your average lion would never do the stuff he does at the same age and circumstances.

I think he is impressive, im just saying that neither Nhenha,OM or any other male with who we saw her didnt look big compared to this particular female and few of her sisters, and then when Ndhzengas came, people where pointing fingers how small they look. EO is a bit smaller, but rest of Ndhzengas are/where average just like most of other males around.

First and foremost male lions want to mate, thats biggest reason they aquire territory and fight/die for it. 

Imbali male has 0 mating opportunities left in Talamati pride, being territorial, without mating opportunities, is not exactly male lions dream life, he will definetly pursuit mating opportuinities, even for the cost of his life, as thats what male lions strive for.

Obiviously not all male lions at this age are confident and bold like him, some "retire", become nomads and fade.

But others do compete even at that age, a bit different circumstances, but Nhenha and 2 Shishangenis are 2 examples recently, and they where even older then S8. They chosed to compete and died for it. 

If they just wanted to survive, they wouldnt compete in the first place.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 Do we have photos of this female side by side with Nhenha and OM? I'd imagine they'd look bigger than the BDM does, they were definitely big males.

But anyway being small or big is just how it is, some are small, some are big, and most are average.

The 2 Shishangeni you speak about are the ones who fought 2-3 of their sons? There're so many Shishangenis and Gomondwanes I can never keep track of who is who.

But as for Nhenha, yeah he's a good example, he was even older ( though still in amazing shape ) and very willing to compete. but still he wasn't anywhere near as bold as Imbali, nor did he show as much strength, which speaks a lot about the S8 male.

Nhenha had the numbers to take over the Tumbela territory ( and had trouble doing so initially ), the "craziest" thing he did was fighting Tumbela alone once, though he lost. He tried chasing PCM in their first territorial clash but it didn't work, at the time many thought his coalition was stronger than PCM since it had the very experient but still in top condition Nhenha and the prime NK against younger PCM, but in the end they were no match.

Imbali however ousted DM, was challenging territorial Mohawk who is apparently slightly younger than him, is now chasing nomadic Mohawk and his sons around, chased 2 territorial BDM a while ago and now apparently defeated the bigger BDM in a fight and stole his female.

Very few lions would show as much strength as Imbali is showing right now, we should give him all the merit for doing what very few would, although I'm worried he will meet his doom doing this.

Australia 1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 08:06 AM by 1999gc8 )

Would the Kambula lionesses be larger than the Mangheni? Just curious as I remember watching a recent Londolozi  video where they made a comment at how impressive the PC male was because the Mangheni's are consider large and the PC male with them at the time was a much larger size etc.
3 users Like 1999gc8's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(05-01-2023, 01:23 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 06:24 AM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 07:09 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Has anyone seen or heard anything on the solo young male some refer to as the "Wonky Eyed Young Male"? He comes and goes randomly, seen along, sharing meals with different prides and other males, then disappeared for quite some time, only to reappear looking in fantastic shape, and still seemingly alone.

Speaking of Wonky Eye, has anyone heard from @Tonpa lately? He was the first person I saw referring to this male under this name. He hasn't been around in awhile, I hope he is doing well.

I think WE was seen two weeks back or so on a kill in southeast Manyeleti.   Looking quite well.  

Regarding @Tonpa I am not sure what’s up.   But they also deactivated their FB profile and I noticed they’re no longer updating IG either.    I am nit sure if they’re taking a break or if it’s permanent but it’s a shame if so.    Very helpful contributor who always helped me with inquiries
Thank you for that info on Wonky Eye, such an interesting character, and what a survivor. He seemed about the same age as the Othawa subs, perhaps even younger, when he appeared on the scene, all by himself, the fact that he continues to thrive is quite astonishing.
If @Tonpa has withdrawn from all lion related interests groups/boards/social media, or from social media entirely that would truly be a shame. He was very helpful and informative. Thank you again my friend!
6 users Like BA0701's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-01-2023, 10:28 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: People were pointing at Ndhzengas (even Birminghams before) how they look small compared to Kambulas, but even orange eyed BDM doesnt look any bigger:

*This image is copyright of its original author

This girls are just big, especially this K6/infertile/pale female.

I know females are not talked about enough, but do you have any idea about the biggest lioness SS have ever seen? I know that Silver Talamati was huge and she made Nduna look small
4 users Like Mdz123's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-03-2023, 07:12 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: I know females are not talked about enough, but do you have any idea about the biggest lioness SS have ever seen? I know that Silver Talamati was huge and she made Nduna look small

Idk, its hard to know how would lionesses from different prides stack against each others.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@1999gc8 2 old Manghenis are the Kambula's mothers, 2 younger Manghenis are the Kambula's full sisters, and the younger Mangheni is the Kambula's half-sister. So likely they are all around the same size.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-03-2023, 11:18 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @1999gc8 2 old Manghenis are the Kambula's mothers, 2 younger Manghenis are the Kambula's full sisters, and the younger Mangheni is the Kambula's half-sister. So likely they are all around the same size.

Nhenha was brother/cousin to Nsuku and what? Besides 2 younger Mhangenis was surely significantly smaller than other mentioned females.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-03-2023, 11:18 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @1999gc8 2 old Manghenis are the Kambula's mothers, 2 younger Manghenis are the Kambula's full sisters, and the younger Mangheni is the Kambula's half-sister. So likely they are all around the same size.

Size can vary even between littermates, let alone relatives.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-03-2023, 07:35 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 07:12 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: I know females are not talked about enough, but do you have any idea about the biggest lioness SS have ever seen? I know that Silver Talamati was huge and she made Nduna look small

Idk, its hard to know how would lionesses from different prides stack against each others.

I think we can compare their sizes in images of them mating with the same male. For example, he can find videos of Kambula females mating with Nhena and we can also find Nkuhuma females mating with him. Comparing how big they look compared to Nhena would for sure give us a hind about which pride has the bigger females.
2 users Like Mdz123's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

We started seeing the two Gijima males just over a year ago. It is incredible to see how they have grown, not only in size but also in confidence. In this year of following their journey, they have successfully claimed a territory, mated with the Southern Pride, have three cubs with the oldest female of the Southern Pride, and started mating with a female from the Styx Pride. We are excited to see what the future holds for these two males.

10 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita Sabi Sands update

Finally, the Mhangene Pride have revealed their cubs to us guides and gracious guests. A total of nine cubs between the ages of six and twelve weeks, from three different lionesses. They have provided regular viewing in the Ximobanyana drainage close to Khoza Pan. This is thrilling and we have not had this many cubs from this pride since 2019. We will bring you frequent updates on our social media platforms, so stay tuned.

In the north an interesting development is taking place as six male lions consisting of a few sub-adults from the Nkuhuma Pride and their father, the northern Avoca male lion, are spending time together. For now, it is too early to say what will happen, but we will be keeping an eye on them and their movements as they look to settle out of the way of bigger males. The Plains Camp lions have a firm grip on territory to the south, but the north is largely unoccupied.

The three Ntsevu Breakaway males and their lone sister have been a regular occurrence in the south, often near buffalo which graze daily in the grasslands. These young lions are still learning their abilities and provide great viewing. Earlier in the month Andries and his guests watched as they successfully took down a buffalo calf close to Castleton Camp. A crucial meal for their development and confidence as young hunters.
9 users Like Potato's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(05-05-2023, 09:00 PM)Potato Wrote: Singita Sabi Sands update

Finally, the Mhangene Pride have revealed their cubs to us guides and gracious guests. A total of nine cubs between the ages of six and twelve weeks, from three different lionesses. They have provided regular viewing in the Ximobanyana drainage close to Khoza Pan. This is thrilling and we have not had this many cubs from this pride since 2019. We will bring you frequent updates on our social media platforms, so stay tuned.

In the north an interesting development is taking place as six male lions consisting of a few sub-adults from the Nkuhuma Pride and their father, the northern Avoca male lion, are spending time together. For now, it is too early to say what will happen, but we will be keeping an eye on them and their movements as they look to settle out of the way of bigger males. The Plains Camp lions have a firm grip on territory to the south, but the north is largely unoccupied.

The three Ntsevu Breakaway males and their lone sister have been a regular occurrence in the south, often near buffalo which graze daily in the grasslands. These young lions are still learning their abilities and provide great viewing. Earlier in the month Andries and his guests watched as they successfully took down a buffalo calf close to Castleton Camp. A crucial meal for their development and confidence as young hunters.

Any idea which of the 3 Mhangeni lionesses have given birth to the cubs mentioned in the report?
1 user Likes sundarbans's post