There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-12-2023, 05:44 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 05:16 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: 1/2 BDYMS found mating w one Nkuhuma lioness.    I believe it’s Chela.  

I guess we can expect that this is just the start?  Refresh me... She would have been a Mohawk right?  I think Mohawk is going to settle into Babysitter role for a while.

Are you asking if she’s Mohawk’s daughter?    No, she’s a Matimba offspring.    

Chela is the lioness that usually is caretaking the older sub adults which include her son.   

Yes, I think this is the ‘beginnings’ of a take over.    The BDYMs has steadily been gaining confidence and have begun to seek out mating opportunities.   

The best thing is for chela and the two AE daughters to remain separate and attract the new males.   To give Mohawk and the younger subadults time.   

This of course is best case scenario.   Things don’t always play out this way.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-12-2023, 05:54 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 05:44 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 05:16 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: 1/2 BDYMS found mating w one Nkuhuma lioness.    I believe it’s Chela.  

I guess we can expect that this is just the start?  Refresh me... She would have been a Mohawk right?  I think Mohawk is going to settle into Babysitter role for a while.

Are you asking if she’s Mohawk’s daughter?    No, she’s a Matimba offspring.    

Chela is the lioness that usually is caretaking the older sub adults which include her son.   

Yes, I think this is the ‘beginnings’ of a take over.    The BDYMs has steadily been gaining confidence and have begun to seek out mating opportunities.   

The best thing is for chela and the two AE daughters to remain separate and attract the new males.   To give Mohawk and the younger subadults time.   

This of course is best case scenario.   Things don’t always play out this way.

I was actually asking if this was previously a lionness with Mohawk.  I think you answered that one.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 09:30 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Corrected information )

Missing male of the Kambula Breakaways perhaps?

12 users Like Mwk85's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2023, 06:00 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Corrected information )

Tsalala female and a sleeping rhino.

Credit: Krist Jocelyne

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like Mwk85's post

Mwk85 Offline

9 users Like Mwk85's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Summary about Talamati cubs, Kambulas, Ottawas, Mohawk with subadults, princess Tsalala.

10 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Throwback, Fourways males DM Jr. and Blondie, at Umkumbe in early 2015 :

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 09:21 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Fixed spelling error )

S8/Imbali male. According to Tendai Moyo, S8 was in Mohawk's territory yesterday. He was seen north of Arathusa's lodge.

6 users Like Mwk85's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(04-16-2023, 09:10 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: S8/Imbali male. According to Tendai Moyo, S8 was in Mohawk's territory yesterday. He was seen north of Arathusa's lodge.

That overconfidence likely might end up very bad for him. 2vs1 against Black Dam males he might recieve heavy beating soon.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 01:20 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-16-2023, 09:10 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: S8/Imbali male. According to Tendai Moyo, S8 was in Mohawk's territory yesterday. He was seen north of Arathusa's lodge.

Does Mohawk has a territory anymore? He is avoiding BDM's for months now, and i didnt see any videos of him roaring, patroling or scent marking.

He kinda behaves semi nomadic for a while now, hanging in his "territory" but not actually having authority over it.

Also, north of Arathusa and EP, Simbambili area and western Djuma , is S8 territory for a while now, Mohawk was more south, which he now avoids because of BDM's
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I don't think its as black and white for lions as it is all about dominating a pride rather than the land. Roaring or scent marking are just tools to deter rivals to prevent a more serious fight. 

He is still in control of the pride. But that he stopped roaring etc shows that he no longer believes that deterrence is enough to keep rivals at bay. Nor that he feels confident enough in his chances to win a fight. 
So I think he is now just trying to ride it out and hoping an actual takeover never happens. Sacrificing land for more time with the pride. 

Regardless. It is a sign he is on the way out. Either a takeover happens or the pride itself will shift their attention to the stronger males once its time to start the next generation.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 04:00 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Duco Ndona is he controling the pride or he just hangs with them? Thats 2 very different things.

This is not how it works, male who just hangs with the pride, without controling territory is not a territorial/dominant male.

DM hanged with Talamatis, Tumbela hangs with both Othawas and Ximhungwes, NK with Ximhungwes, but neither of those males where/are territorial.

To be a dominant/territorial male you need to have territory, not a pride, because without territory, you and your pride are in someones elses males territory.

And to have a territory, you need to roar, scent mark, face and chase intruders to keep them away, which Mohawk is not doing.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

As we suspected, Omega sort of confirms what we suspected about Gingerella’s cubs

Attached Files Image(s)

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 06:21 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-16-2023, 05:43 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: As we suspected, Omega sort of confirms what we suspected about Gingerella’s cubs

But there was no evidence that she or Ximhungwe even have cubs, those where all speculations i think.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Contributor

(04-16-2023, 06:15 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 05:43 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: As we suspected, Omega sort of confirms what we suspected about Gingerella’s cubs

But there was no evidence that she or Ximhungwe even have cubs, those where all speculations i think.

These same guides stated multiple times seeing them ´heavily pregnant´   

So not sure if it was speculation.  Both lionesses are under stress.   The PCMs, Tumbela and Nkuhuma all hanging around week to week a different male.   It’s untenable situation to rear cubs