There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(08-02-2024, 12:49 AM)sik94 Wrote: This is probably the coalition that will determine the direction of rest of Nkuhuma male's life. He finally has a big, strong, confident young male with him and they seem pretty bonded too. If he can't stick it out with this, he'll always just always be a loner.

If Nym chooses to be loyal and bonded to Khanya then I think they will both be successful! Khanya is a serious survivor and he is smart enough to know how to deal with Nym’s shortcomings. I think Nym might be learning he needs to be a good partner and give support in order to have a good partner. Khanya is an excellent coalition mate.
2 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-02-2024, 02:23 AM by BA0701 )

I truly wish I knew what it would take for NYM to find that kind of partner. He and Big Boy had a good shot at forming such a bond, from my understanding it was NYM who brought BB into the pride to start with, but then they were chased out by the Avocas, and NYM didn't seem to make a lot of effort to find his buddy, but we all know that BB sure tried hard, a friend is all he ever wanted.

Then, he and Styx seemed to make such a bond, but it ended the way it did. Followed by, of course Nhenha, and even with that pairing, the moment the two of them were challenged by other males, NYM always seemed to get separated, and they had started spending more time apart.

As much as it pains me to say, and even though it runs counter to my hopes for him, as @Tr1x24 mentioned, I am just not sure if it is in the cards for him to have a partner long term, anymore. The nomadic lifestyle seems ingrained in him, at this stage, as he is clearly a survivor, and is capable at keeping himself well fed, he is always in fantastic condition, as well as he is really good at avoiding trouble. Having been living this life alone, for so long, his first instincts are to flee when confronted with danger, which nobody can fault him for that strategy, it has kept him alive this long. He has become the Sabi Sands version of Jesse, albeit a less brazen version.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Time will tell. 

He has no issues socializing. He is not afraid of meeting new lions and if there is a lion around, chances are he befriended him at one point. But I just don't think he is that social. Social behaviour in animals comes at a spectrum and Nym is just lower in that aspect. More akin to a leopard than a lion. 

He seeks out lions to sate his desire for social contact. But he needs a lot of convincing to commit long term.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

I’m not expecting anything of NK either, I’d love for him to form a temporary bond with Khanya but that ship has already sailed once. Worth mentioning that relationship failed as NK decided to stay with the Talamati lionesses over following their brothers. He clearly wants to be a pride male yet doesn’t have the confrontation in him. Yet.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Super Moderator

(08-02-2024, 05:18 AM)KM600 Wrote: I’m not expecting anything of NK either, I’d love for him to form a temporary bond with Khanya but that ship has already sailed once. Worth mentioning that relationship failed as NK decided to stay with the Talamati lionesses over following their brothers. He clearly wants to be a pride male yet doesn’t have the confrontation in him. Yet.

Maybe he is just a late bloomer, akin to the K4s on steroids. Since he has been doing it for a lot longer, perhaps it is more fitting to make that comparison the other way around, and say it is they who are like him in that regard.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-02-2024, 05:18 AM)KM600 Wrote: He clearly wants to be a pride male yet doesn’t have the confrontation in him. Yet.

I dont think thats the problem.

Who can NK beat in Sabi Sands with his partner (whoever it is) ?? Nobody.

It easy to "call out" NK, that he doesnt want to challenge and face territorial males or idk, but i dont think thats the case.

In area which NK traverse, its impposible for him to become territorial atm (and since Nhenha died), even with partner, yet alone (unless some shift happens with territorial males). He needs to beat PCMs, Ndhzengas or Gijimas, and thats not happening.

We can say, why he doesnt explore outside this area, well, this is his comfort area, he is traversing it since he become nomad and moved from natal area.

Its hard to expect that now at 8 yrs if age he will just abandon this area, and its not like he has map like us, to see where theres no territorial males or free prides to take.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Ultimately males just want to mate and eat. Being a pridemale and such is just one way to achieve that.
But not a goal on itself.

Right now he has carved out a pseudo territory where he had some succes mating and knows he can eat. At the moment he is likely sticking to the north to keep an eye on the whole Nkuhuma situation or the Manghenis.
But if no mating opportunities appear for a long while he will likely vacate the area.

Right now he is behaving more like a leopard or cheetah than a lion to be honest. Which is to show that those two arent to far apart still if it comes to social behavoir.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

NK and Talamati:

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(08-02-2024, 11:13 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 05:18 AM)KM600 Wrote: He clearly wants to be a pride male yet doesn’t have the confrontation in him. Yet.

It easy to "call out" NK, that he doesnt want to challenge and face territorial males or idk, but i dont think thats the case.

In area which NK traverse, its impposible for him to become territorial atm (and since Nhenha died), even with partner, yet alone (unless some shift happens with territorial males). He needs to beat PCMs, Ndhzengas or Gijimas, and thats not happening.

We can say, why he doesnt explore outside this area, well, this is his comfort area, he is traversing it since he become nomad and moved from natal area.

Its hard to expect that now at 8 yrs if age he will just abandon this area, and its not like he has map like us, to see where theres no territorial males or free prides to take.

I agree that he's clearly not in a position to challenge territorial males at the moment, even if he sticks with Khanya, I was more so on about in the past.
2 users Like KM600's post

Mwk85 Offline

5 users Like Mwk85's post

Mwk85 Offline

8 users Like Mwk85's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-02-2024, 02:45 PM by Tr1x24 )

2 SP sub females sired by Gijimas are growing fast, they are born in late 2022? 

Remarkable how lone Fourways SP female managed to rebuild this pride in just couple of years, truly a supermom.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(08-02-2024, 11:13 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

If somehow theres a split in the Nkuhuma pride with the older females staying with PCM and the subs plus the adult female form a breakaway pride, maybe ( huge maybe ik) Khanya and NYM could take over that part of the pride ( very unlikely ik but theres the only option I see if nothing out of ordinary happends with the male lion dynamics)
Could the torchwood pride be an option perhaps?
1 user Likes Rui Ferreira's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-02-2024, 04:34 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote: If somehow theres a split in the Nkuhuma pride with the older females staying with PCM and the subs plus the adult female form a breakaway pride, maybe ( huge maybe ik) Khanya and NYM could take over that part of the pride ( very unlikely ik but theres the only option I see if nothing out of ordinary happends with the male lion dynamics)
Could the torchwood pride be an option perhaps?

NK never ventures north in his natal area, since he left that area he returned only once for a brief moment, with Nhenha.

Its more likely them going south in Kruger.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-02-2024, 02:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 2 SP sub females sired by Gijimas are growing fast, they are born in late 2022? 

Remarkable how lone Fourways SP female managed to rebuild this pride in just couple of years, truly a supermom.

I was thinking that exact same thing a couple of days ago, when a pic of them was posted. I was stunned to see the shear size of the pride, and so quickly. Tsalala is currently off to a good start, with three little ones in tow, but being a first time Mom, there is no telling how it will turn out. But, she is obviously a survivor, she knows what she's doing.
3 users Like BA0701's post