There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2024, 10:46 PM by Duco Ndona )

If they did become territorial immediately like some people hoped they would. They would have likely taken over the pride next to their natal pride. Its not that odd that prides raise larger coalitions than the local coalitions so this scenario is pretty common. This would however erode genetic diversity over time resulting in issues, so mother nature, in her wisdom put a delay between being evicted and the drive of becoming territorial kicking in. A period in which the youngsters are beaten around a bit and chased some distance away from their old home. Spreading the genes. And yes, this is a period in which weaker lions are filtered out allowing only the best lions survive. 

I am not really seeing how the Kambulas are deviating from all this.

Its probably more that people see their "bloodlines" and numbers and just assume that they are going to make it big right from the start. But that is the problem with most lion behavoir media. It always focusses on the biggest most badass stories so that is what everyone pictures when thinking of lions. While personally i think, the "anomalies" like Tumbella, Nym and the kambullas are much more interesting to follow. While the PCmales or Nwas are the typical stories we all heard before.

Its also somewhat dangerous for the species as the success stories are not likely to turn into the next Tsavo coalition or otherwise end up starting human wildlife conflicts. 
Its the failures we need to understand to prevent those.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2024, 05:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

(07-20-2024, 09:46 PM)Ngonya Wrote: But whether that's the case or not it doesn't change the fact that their behavior put them in this life-threatening position twice (or more, since K3 also got beaten by Gijimas when they were younger).
So i keep what i said previously, their behavior has not harmed and put in danger anyone more than themselves

Theres no guarantee they would be safe as territorial males, male lions life is tough regardless (and thats without risk of becoming and fighting to become territorial male in first place, where many fail).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Well does anyone know who killed the last 4 of S8 males offspring I mean I’m pretty sure it was other lions and no body’s found either
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(07-21-2024, 09:20 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Well does anyone know who killed the last 4 of S8 males offspring I mean I’m pretty sure it was other lions and no body’s found either

Could have been lions but also could have been hyenas. If she got separated, then at her age she would have been vulnerable to more than just other lions.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2024, 10:31 PM by criollo2mil )

Speechless

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(07-21-2024, 10:09 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Speechless

Fortunately they’re not paying attention to the cubs right now, but they will if they’re allowed to stick around. Especially with the S.Avoca, I doubt he’ll tolerate them being in better physical condition than Tumbela.
4 users Like KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Well, this is a trip and a half...  The lion that ousted you, you are now helping?

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-21-2024, 10:38 PM)KM600 Wrote:

Fortunately they’re not paying attention to the cubs right now, but they will if they’re allowed to stick around. Especially with the S.Avoca, I doubt he’ll tolerate them being in better physical condition than Tumbela.

He gave one of them a good smack, already, so yes, S Avoca is definitely a threat to them. The fact that they continued eating, may have been out of necessity, some of those cubs are looking a bit thin, can even see some of their spines. If the PCMs pull up, both of them will have serious issues.
5 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(07-21-2024, 11:04 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

He gave one of them a good smack, already, so yes, S Avoca is definitely a threat to them. The fact that they continued eating, may have been out of necessity, some of those cubs are looking a bit thin, can even see some of their spines. If the PCMs pull up, both of them will have serious issues.

I was gonna say this interaction might be necessary, as the PCMs might become aware of their presence and chase them off, however I don’t think they’ve been that far South in over two months.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-21-2024, 11:04 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Well, this is a trip and a half...  The lion that ousted you, you are now helping?

Two posts, back to back, of mind blowing situations, the Manghenis with Skorro Jr and S Avoca, then this. Though, I am not sure that was Mohawks intentions here, as I am not so sure that SBDM is in such dire straights as to be pushed off of a kill by lionesses who were formerly controlled by him. We saw those type of situations, with Scar and Limper Tumbela, they both got driven off of kills by subs no less. I don't know that SBDM is there, currently.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(07-21-2024, 11:04 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Well, this is a trip and a half...  The lion that ousted you, you are now helping?

Bros before... lionesses.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(07-21-2024, 11:04 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I couldn’t tell what male that was that was being aggressive toward the cubs. Tumbela has been a big bully on kills but S. Avoca could just be so hungry he’s being harsh. So that was S avoca or Tumbela? Either way they are not actively hunting or stalking the cubs!!! Hopefully the lionesses can sneak away so the males don’t keep stealing kills, the cubs need the food.
3 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I think it was southern avoca
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-22-2024, 01:44 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: I couldn’t tell what male that was that was being aggressive toward the cubs. Tumbela has been a big bully on kills but S. Avoca could just be so hungry he’s being harsh. So that was S avoca or Tumbela? Either way they are not actively hunting or stalking the cubs!!! Hopefully the lionesses can sneak away so the males don’t keep stealing kills, the cubs need the food.

Yea, those smack's on cubs where only because of food, its just instincts on dinner table, nothing else.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2024, 03:04 AM by Tr1x24 )

Currently in Sabi Sands there a lot of "late nomads" or "ex territorials" (idk how should i call them) in Tumbela, S.Avoca, BDM and Mohawk, who are only following around prides to steal or join them  because of food, but without real intentions to become territorial again.

Obiviously they are just trying to survive as best they can, but pride with many cubs to feed, like Mhangenis, can suffer from that in long run.

For Mhangeni cubs, it would be best that PCMs chase them out.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post