There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 08:19 AM by Mapokser )

Photo by Tori Marie.

Is it just me or the Ximhungwe cubs from the Othawa Breakaway are freaks of nature?

*This image is copyright of its original author

They always strike me as much bigger than their Mangheni half-brother ( cub #10 ) despite the fact he is a few weeks older. They might even rival some of the other Mangheni cubs.

Of course, cub #10 is always around his much older siblings which makes him look small, but also compared to the lionesses, the Ximungwe cubs always seems way bigger in comparison. I don't remember even the Nkuhuma Breakaways looking so big at 1yo ( or not even that, IIRC the Ximungwes will turn 1 next month ).

Mantimahle + Matimba blood is producing some big cubs and subadults.

Edit: and I almost forgot, but although from time to time I can see some resemblance between the cubs and the PCM, as well as them and their Mangheni half-brothers, they look a hella lot like their mother, sometimes looking like clones. If they had a brother I wonder if he'd grow to look like the Ginger Matimba that resembles the Othawa female so much.
9 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Smaller pride = more food they’re gonna be big females mhangeni cub 10 is the runt but he’s a fighter
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(07-23-2024, 02:48 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Tsalala w her three cubs

Who are there fathers
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 11:15 AM by Mwk85 )

(07-27-2024, 09:03 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 02:48 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Tsalala w her three cubs

Who are there fathers

PC males, namely the larger of the two as he was seen mating with her. His brother may have as well, I don't recall seeing them together, though.
6 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 09:09 PM by Mapokser )

I'm holding my breath for the moment the PCM meet Tsalala, I'm afraid of what smaller PCM will do since we don't know if he mated.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

KM600 Offline

(07-27-2024, 07:56 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm holding my breath to the moment the PCM meet Tsalala, I'm afraid of what smaller PCM will do since we don't know if he mated.

Assuming it was only the bigger PCM who mated I’d assume the cubs would be fine as long as both PCMs met Tsalala and the cubs together. It does seem, to me, that the smaller PCM ventures a bit more West than his brother now, so it’s entirely possible we do see such an interaction take place. Hopefully Tsalala and the cubs will be unharmed.
5 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

If Tsalala is alien to smaller PCM I find it difficult he won't kill the cubs regardless if he is with his brother or not.

I always had a hunch that the first Mangheni litter of 3 by the old female didn't survive because only smaller PCM mated with her.

Still, IIRC we have only a single sighting of Makhunga mating with her and not only lions mate for many days but sightings from Singita are rare so chances that both males mated are decent.

Another thing is that Tsalala has roared in the Western Sector looking for PCM and has been living in their territory for a long time, she must realize the dominant males are 2 and being a smart lioness she'd at least try to mate with both males.

I don't think PCM will offer the sort of protection they offer to Ximhungwes, but to have a chance the cubs will need that their fathers at least recognize and tolerate/ignore them like they do with the Mangheni and NK Breakaway prides.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

KM600 Offline

(07-27-2024, 09:16 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Still, IIRC we have only a single sighting of Makhunga mating with her and not only lions mate for many days but sightings from Singita are rare so chances that both males mated are decent.

I agree, I think the only reason she mated with bigger PCM in the first place was because he was alone. Would have been too big a risk to meet up with both males. Also, she stays around Singita so they should be travelling thru her territory to seek out Ximhungwes, maybe said interaction has already taken place.
2 users Like KM600's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The behaviour and dynamics within a pride during introduction is probably much more important than the males guessing whether or not they are that father. 

In the case of the Tsalala lioness. There is no typical pride, pride male dynamic between her and the PCmales.
Contact has been so infrequent that from the males perspective, she had plenty of time to mate elsewhere. 
So it could go any direction, even with the male that mated with her.

Though most cub killings take place when there is an intentional takeover or other conflict. Chances are good that the Tsalalas are so low on the PCmales radar they aren't going to care much about her and the cubs.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

RookiePundit Offline

(06-18-2024, 10:08 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Except he has no issues hanging out with other male lions. Infact not that long ago we were al talking about how incredible it is that he keeps befriending all those lions. And now we suddenly expected to believe he is scared of other male lions?
And lets not forget that he and Styx initially beaten the PCmales before Styxs demise.

I think the only mistake he is making is that he keeps partnering up with popular lions whos fans keep blaming him for everything that goes wrong. 

Nhenha was past his prime and insisted on hanging out in an area after being ousted. Offcource he was going to be dispatched at one point.
And its the same with Tumbella, that bad leg would get him in trouble at one point.

(07-27-2024, 08:12 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Photo by Tori Marie.

Is it just me or the Ximhungwe cubs from the Othawa Breakaway are freaks of nature?

*This image is copyright of its original author

They always strike me as much bigger than their Mangheni half-brother ( cub #10 ) despite the fact he is a few weeks older. They might even rival some of the other Mangheni cubs.

Of course, cub #10 is always around his much older siblings which makes him look small, but also compared to the lionesses, the Ximungwe cubs always seems way bigger in comparison. I don't remember even the Nkuhuma Breakaways looking so big at 1yo ( or not even that, IIRC the Ximungwes will turn 1 next month ).

Mantimahle + Matimba blood is producing some big cubs and subadults.

Edit: and I almost forgot, but although from time to time I can see some resemblance between the cubs and the PCM, as well as them and their Mangheni half-brothers, they look a hella lot like their mother, sometimes looking like clones. If they had a brother I wonder if he'd grow to look like the Ginger Matimba that resembles the Othawa female so much.
I would assume Mhangeni lionesses might be bigger than the two Ximghungwe ones, considering Mhagenis are close related to Kambula lionesses who are known too be big females. Especially Tinya. So comparing cubs to different lionesses might skew things a bit as well. But yeah their fathers, Plain Camp males and paternal relatives give reasons to expect them to be on the bigger side. The Nkuhuma Breakaways sub adult pair, their eldest half-siblings prove those expectations, especially the male who is physically mature beyond his age.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(07-27-2024, 09:16 PM)Mapokser Wrote: If Tsalala is alien to smaller PCM I find it difficult he won't kill the cubs regardless if he is with his brother or not.

I always had a hunch that the first Mangheni litter of 3 by the old female didn't survive because only smaller PCM mated with her.

Still, IIRC we have only a single sighting of Makhunga mating with her and not only lions mate for many days but sightings from Singita are rare so chances that both males mated are decent.

Another thing is that Tsalala has roared in the Western Sector looking for PCM and has been living in their territory for a long time, she must realize the dominant males are 2 and being a smart lioness she'd at least try to mate with both males.

I don't think PCM will offer the sort of protection they offer to Ximhungwes, but to have a chance the cubs will need that their fathers at least recognize and tolerate/ignore them like they do with the Mangheni and NK Breakaway prides.

I know what you mean about 'holding your breath' til their first meeting. I will feel quite relieved to see them together and everything fine.

Males tend to get tired of the mating before the females have finished so it's definitely possible she then sought out the smaller-maned male after she'd mated with the other one.

It would be great to see them together, at least occasionally.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 04:02 AM by Mdz123 )

Since PCMs are together most of the time, there's a good chance Tsalala will bump into both of them at once, and in this case the bigger PCM will likely defend his cubs if the smaller PCM tried to attack (fatherly instincts) there's no way he'll just watch his brother kill his children
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Ttimemarti Offline

You never know tinyo kinda sorta defended the tsalala female even tho he never mated with her and the bigger brother is submissive to his brother now so idk how it’ll work out hopefully all will be ok
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-28-2024, 04:02 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Since PCMs are together most of the time, there's a good chance Tsalala will bump into both of them at once, and in this case the bigger PCM will likely defend his cubs if the smaller PCM tried to attack (fatherly instincts) there's no way he'll just watch his brother kill his children

Mr. T was allowed to destroy all of the cubs, and his brothers didn't interfere.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The PCmales already allowed the Mangheni to decimate the Nkuhuma breakaways, abandoned the Mangheni cubs, and the only reason they still have those and the Ximhungwe cubs left right now is becouse Tumbella & co so far choose to spare them.

Its safe to say they arent the best pridemales if it comes to caring about the fate off their offspring. 
They do have a good strong bond with eachother though, so id not expect them to go at eachother over some cubs.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post