There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-05-2024, 03:51 PM by KM600 )

The boys doing what they do best.. well trailing buffalo that is, no doubt they’ll catch one today. 

8 users Like KM600's post

United States Friarfan619 Offline

Another angle
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
7 users Like Friarfan619's post

Ngonya Offline

Mantimahle males chased the four Kambulas from the Elephant carcass
8 users Like Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-06-2024, 05:13 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Mantimahle males chased the four Kambulas from the Elephant carcass

DM male got reinforcement this time around.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(08-06-2024, 05:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: DM male got reinforcement this time around.
As i thought, together they are more than what Kambulas can handle.

All four were in a buffo kill today, Tiyelele flirting with K3 but he didnt give a sh1t !  Laughing
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-06-2024, 06:23 PM)Ngonya Wrote: As i thought, together they are more than what Kambulas can handle.

Maybe, or Kambulas where just full after feeding on it for a while, so they just let it go.

Lions dont want to fight to the death on every occasions, they have other priorities aswell.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2024, 06:57 PM by Ngonya )

(08-06-2024, 06:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Maybe, or Kambulas where just full after feeding on it for a while, so they just let it go.
going straight to another kill? hmmm im not sure. But alright fair enough.
I still think two Mantimahles together are more than Kambulas can handle, for now, obviously.
They are almost not to say already territorial but i still think Mantimahles are too formidable. 
Red Road was yesterday with a lioness, he is looking fine. Im not sure about Kruger male or Imbali pride, but it seems that Kambulas will, sooner or later, mate with Tiyelele, as i said she was flirting with one of the boys. Unfortunately that means the poor boy is gone, thats really really sad to say the least.
2 users Like Ngonya's post

NK is looking great

7 users Like KM600's post

(08-06-2024, 06:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-06-2024, 06:23 PM)Ngonya Wrote: As i thought, together they are more than what Kambulas can handle.

Maybe, or Kambulas where just full after feeding on it for a while, so they just let it go.

Lions dont want to fight to the death on every occasions, they have other priorities aswell.

Don’t want to delve too deep into this as ultimately it’s pointless, but I doubt the Kambulas wanted to run while most likely being bloated. If they had no fear of the Mantimahles, they’d have stayed at the kill either forcing the Mantimhales to fight four members, assuming all 4 males were there, or take their place for both coalitions to enjoy their food. These boys still seem to lack experience in such instances where they get ambushed.
3 users Like KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2024, 07:28 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-06-2024, 06:56 PM)Ngonya Wrote: going straight to another kill? hmmm im not sure. But alright fair enough

Lions are opportunistic, Kambulas where definetly not hungry after feeding on elephant carcass for 1-2 days..

I am just saying as possibility, being full and eating most of the carcass, that they didnt see the point of fighting 2 big and prime males for it anymore and just wanted to rest.

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The excuses for the Kambula's defeats reminds me of the excuses for NK/Nhenha during the clashes with PCM.

They'd say "they got caught separately, let's see 2v2", or "they went to Londolozi deep into PCM territory, they're not fleeing", or "prime 6yo NK is not ready, but in a few months..." or even " Nhenha is trying to recruit his other sons because NK is not reliable".

When the easiest answer was the correct one, PCM were stronger and that was it.

Here we've seen countless times how the Kambulas are no match for strong duos and lose to them easily, PCM and Gijima beat them multiple times without them offering any resistance, and now the Mantimahles did the same.

Kambulas have no trouble with nomads, lone territorial males or even weak dominant duos like the BDM, but once they face a duo that charges at them, they break ranks, that's just how it is, they are not as formidable as you could expect from lions of that age and with such numbers, and I say this without any bias because I love them, some of my favorite lions due to their lineage and the fact I followed them for a long time, but truth is that they are not formidable.

Of course there's nothing inherently wrong with not being the strongest, biggest, bravest, most aggressive, etc, but I just hope that once they have cubs they'll be able to defend them and the territory from any duos which I suppose it's a reasonable expectation to have from a 4 lion coalition.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi Blog about the Ndzenga-PC Males territory/boundary despute a little while back.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/08/05/ar...amp-males/

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like NLAL11's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

So it seems the original report was correct and Ndhzengas had a clean win despite having to work hard for it.

At the end the guide asks which coalition is the strongest but somehow some people still complain about fans arguing such things, when it's just a normal topic within the dynamics, something guides and rangers also talk about.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Mala Mala Game Report July 2024

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 6
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 6 YEARS 0 MONTHS
1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 6 MONTHS
1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 3 YEARS 11 MONTHS
2 SUB-ADULT FEMALES 2 YEARS 11 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON
(6 sightings)

Two lionesses were with a single Nkuhlu male at Flat Rocks on the 14th. Five lionesses were west of KK
Crossing on the 18th. On the 23rd, four lionesses were with the four Nkuhlu males at Charleston Rock
and were joined by another lioness the next day near Tjellahanga Pans. On the 25th, three lionesses
were with three Nkuhlu males west of Flat Rocks and on the 27th, they were joined by another female
and two more Nkuhlu males to the east of Verreaux’s Crossing

OTHER LIONS ENCOUNTERED:
• STYX PRIDE (1 sighting) – A young male and female from this pride were in the Sand
River at the confluence with the Rock Drift Donga on the 14th.
• TALAMATI MALE&NKUHUMA MALE (2 sightings) – These two males were seen together
north of Clarendon Dam on the 19th and they were feeding on a buffalo kill south of the
Windmill on the 22nd.
• KRUGER MALES [Mantimahle Males?] (1 sightings) – These two males were seen at Clarendon Dam on the
19th, shortly after the Talamati & Nkuhuma males left the area.
• NKUHLU MALES (7 sightings) – Two males were at River Rocks on the 12th and one male
was with the Sand River pride at Flat Rocks on the 14th. All four males were at Tjellahanga
pans on the 18th and were with the Sand River pride at Charleston Rocks on the 23rd and
returned to Tjellahanga Pans the next day. On the 25th, three of the males were with the
Sand River pride west of Flat Rocks. They were east of Verreaux’s Crossing with the Sand
River pride on the 27th.
• GIJIMA MALES (1 sighting) – These two males were in the Sand River at the confluence
with the Rock Drift Donga on the 13th.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(08-08-2024, 12:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: So it seems the original report was correct and Ndhzengas had a clean win despite having to work hard for it.

At the end the guide asks which coalition is the strongest but somehow some people still complain about fans arguing such things, when it's just a normal topic within the dynamics, something guides and rangers also talk about.

"fans arguing such things"- And therein lies the problem. When fans discuss these topics, it usually doesn't take long for things to get heated and personal and the whole discussion goes sideways. I imagine that such discussions among rangers and guides would be much healthier and more engaging.
4 users Like Rabubi's post