There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ttimemarti Offline

Yeah because some like to take shots and disrespect others and the lions they are talking about and the people take sides play favorites that type of thing guides and rangers probably don’t do anymore but fan most of the time that’s what some fans will do and that is a no no

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 02:30 AM by Duco Ndona )

Discussions on a blog remain limited to a single page that will only remain active for a few days or so. The main article remains neatly sectioned of from it maintains the focus of the post. Like a couple of people staying behind after a lecture to just have a chat while everyone else not interested in the discussion leaves knowing they still got what they wanted.

On forums, due to their replay based nature, such discussions tends to burry the original topic. Like having a group of people chatting about two different topics at the same time and only one being relevant while the other the same stuff you heard countless times..
On socials, and chatrooms, that drive on quick social interactions it just disolves in petty fanatism and unhealty obsessions. Nobody is going to spend hours on mulling over a facebook coment like they would on a forum or comment.

Also circumstances can vary so wildly between unpredictable wild animals that comparisations and predictions are difficult to pull off anyway.

United States Warpath Offline
New Join

(08-08-2024, 12:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: So it seems the original report was correct and Ndhzengas had a clean win despite having to work hard for it.

At the end the guide asks which coalition is the strongest but somehow some people still complain about fans arguing such things, when it's just a normal topic within the dynamics, something guides and rangers also talk about.

for now... who's to say the PCM aren't just buying their time? They seem like very smart Lions that won't rush into a fight,  and take damage if they don't have to.. when the PCM are 9 and the Ndhzengas are 11 it will be a whole different story..

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 05:40 PM by T_Ferguson )

Well, if Makhunga stopped to visit Tsalala... Why are the PCM split so much lately.  That is not good for any of the situations they are a part of.

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-08-2024, 04:53 AM)Warpath Wrote: for now... who's to say the PCM aren't just buying their time? They seem like very smart Lions that won't rush into a fight,  and take damage if they don't have to.. when the PCM are 9 and the Ndhzengas are 11 it will be a whole different story..

Animals cant think like that..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 09:58 PM by Mapokser )

@Warpath 2-3 years from now the dynamics will probably be so different that it won't even matter, not to say that all their current cubs would be independent at that point.

@T_Ferguson PCM even visit Tsalala but not Manghenis lol.

It's clear how they think regarding such things, older prides and cubs needs no attention, newer prides do.

Even if Ximhungwe pride is much smaller, they'll visit them because they took it after they already had Manghenis, same with Tsalala.

Still this makes me more worried, I've been saying this for a long time but since only Makhunga was seen mating, I'm afraid the smaller PCM will be a threat to Tsalala.

Of course, just because we've not see them mating doesn't mean they didn't, so I hope he did and also accepts the cubs.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 09:17 PM by KM600 )

(08-08-2024, 08:22 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Warpath 2-3 years from now the dynamics will probably be so different that it won't even matter, not to say that all their current cubs would be independent at that point.

@T_Ferguson PCM even visit Tsalala but not Manghenis lol.

It's clear how they think regarding such things, older prides and cubs needs no attention, newer prides do.

Even if Ximhungwe pride is much smaller, they'll visit them because they took it after they already had Manghenis, same with Tsalala.

Still this makes me more worried, I've been saying this for a long time but since only Makhunga was seen mating, I'm afraid the smaller PCM will be a threat to Tsalala.

Of course, just because we've not seeing them mating doesn't mean they didn't, so I hope he dif nd also accepts the cubs.

I honestly think this has nothing to do with the Manghenis having older cubs, I don’t believe they can even think that far ahead. ‘These cubs are however months older and therefore we should prioritise them less.’ What I do believe they process, however, is the size of the prides they’re controlling. Same way coalitions compare sizes to each other before making their next move. They know Manghenis are their biggest pride and should be able to raise the cubs independantly. 

This is obviously without them knowing that Manghenis since they stopped going to see them have lost two lionesses and two cubs, as well as constantly being stalked by Tumbela and various other males. I will always believe the sole reason for them abandoning Manghenis was because of their territory not being adjacent to Nkuhuma Pride, which is a reason I believe Tsalala Pride is safe for the time being as long as both PCMs accept her, or atleast Makhunga does. 

One more thing too, Khanya and NK were in Inyati the other day hunting buffalo, most likely still in the area rn. They should start picking up on all these different males presence in the area even heading back to the direction of the Manghenis, if they don’t either chase these males off or atleast go check on Manghenis then this Nkuhuma Pride takeover attempt could be disastrous. PCMs wouldn’t even have a presence to keep males out the West and away from their prides.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its probably less the cubs are older and can fend for their own and more those effing teenagers are eating the mane of my body. Why cant they be like the nice subs next door.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 09:40 PM by Tr1x24 )

Coalitions who control multiple prides always have their "favorite" pride and "side" prides, especially smaller coalitions like duos, who cant disperse themselves thru prides.

Why is that, we dont really know, as some coalition prefer bigger prides, while some smaller ones.

PCMs never hanged that much with Mhangenis in the first place, even before they started expanding towards north.

They where also kinda late to start mating with them, as they where atleast 1 year already territorial in that area.

So, 2 parties, except with urge of mating, never really "clicked", so its kinda expected they will abandon them when they started expanding in opposite direction (we even said that this will happen).
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@KM600 In most of the cases, coalitions prioritize bigger prides, leaving smaller prides neglected.

But yeah if PCM don't deal with NK/Talamati soon, they could be the doom of the Mangheni and maybe even Ximhungwe pride.

Othawas coming into estrus and bringing PCM back to the southwest would be a great thing tp happen right now.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

The issue for me right now is... when was the last time the PCM were seen together?  If they stay separated that could be the even bigger problem.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(08-08-2024, 09:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Coalitions who control multiple prides always have their "favorite" pride and "side" prides, especially smaller coalitions like duos, who cant disperse themselves thru prides.

Why is that, we dont really know, as some coalition prefer bigger prides, while some smaller ones.

PCMs never hanged that much with Mhangenis in the first place, even before they started expanding towards north.

They where also kinda late to start mating with them, as they where atleast 1 year already territorial in that area.

So, 2 parties, except with urge of mating, never really "clicked", so its kinda expected they will abandon them when they started expanding in opposite direction (we even said that this will happen).

Very nicely stated! 
Lions do have individual personalities and will take a liking or dislike for same/different things. The Ximungwe ladies seem to be friendly and laid back and so many males like hanging out with them. I was thinking maybe visiting mangheni with 10 (at the time) pesky cubs and grumpy lionesses isn’t relaxing after a big patrol. The mangheni have really high competition for food and maybe the lionesses avoid the PC boys so they don’t have to share? Part of their territory could be inundated with seasonal flies and fleas so they avoid it? Maybe some lionesses are exceptionally excellent hunters and the males know they can always find a meal with a certain Pride. This is why I love following lions! Sad tho when they experience hardships but I feel lucky to be able to follow individuals thru out their lives.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 10:38 PM by BA0701 )

(08-08-2024, 10:06 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: The issue for me right now is... when was the last time the PCM were seen together?  If they stay separated that could be the even bigger problem.

Last time I recall, was when Makhunga got that nasty gash to his eye, when they were up north. Matter of fact, I know he was photographed a couple of times with the Nkuhumas immediately after that, but I have not seen a whole lot of the smaller male ever since around that time. They went from being photographed on a near daily basis, to suddenly disappearing.

( This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 11:35 PM by T_Ferguson )

I am starting to feel bad for these girls.  So many males in and out and nobody sticks in.

2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

3 Torchwood young males (sons of Kruger males), after altercation with Kambula males:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post