There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Friarfan619 Offline

damn they gotta be the dumbest coalition I've ever seen
5 users Like Friarfan619's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(07-20-2024, 02:47 AM)KM600 Wrote: RRM does not mess around.

I dont know if my analysis here is wrong, but this could´ve went way worse for K5... Red Road really is no joke and honestly theres no more words left to describe what and who this lion is...a really sad event nonetheless
2 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Brazil Gavskrr Offline

(07-20-2024, 03:12 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: damn they gotta be the dumbest coalition I've ever seen

I confess that this made me laugh, but in the midst of the confusion that could happen, the blackdam males attacked their brother in a more curious situation. Ironically this lioness actually saved him from something worse, the kambulas still seem fragile, in all their encounters with rival males they were defeated or without causing much damage even with a numerical advantage. It seems that they are still learning to behave like invading nomads without the slightest idea of the numerical advantage they have, which is a little strange, they act in a disorderly way simply invading any nearby band but generally just in search of stealing food, they don't show much aggressiveness.
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Friarfan619 Offline

(07-20-2024, 04:17 AM)Gavskrr Wrote:
(07-20-2024, 03:12 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: damn they gotta be the dumbest coalition I've ever seen

I confess that this made me laugh, but in the midst of the confusion that could happen, the blackdam males attacked their brother in a more curious situation. Ironically this lioness actually saved him from something worse, the kambulas still seem fragile, in all their encounters with rival males they were defeated or without causing much damage even with a numerical advantage. It seems that they are still learning to behave like invading nomads without the slightest idea of the numerical advantage they have, which is a little strange, they act in a disorderly way simply invading any nearby band but generally just in search of stealing food, they don't show much aggressiveness.

They just frustrate me and I'm assuming others sm. Replied before realizing they actually did chase Rr away
3 users Like Friarfan619's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2024, 04:56 AM by Ngonya )

(07-20-2024, 04:30 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: They just frustrate me and I'm assuming others sm.
I already felt this way but I reflected on it. Kambulas have no responsibility whatsoever for any expectations we create about them.
They have the numbers but continue to act like a weak coalition in most interactions with rivals, similar to what @Gavskrr said very well.

Many expected that they would be like their fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers (Birmingham, Majingilane and Mapogo)
But at this point they aren't and I doubt they will ever come close to being as formidable. These were incredibly strong coalitions that left their mark on Sabi Sand with their legacy, lions "build differently", which the Kambulas have proved many times not to be.
4 users Like Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-20-2024, 04:56 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(07-20-2024, 04:30 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: They just frustrate me and I'm assuming others sm.
I already felt this way but I reflected on it. Kambulas have no responsibility whatsoever for any expectations we create about them.
They have the numbers but continue to act like a weak coalition in most interactions with rivals, similar to what @Gavskrr said very well.

Many expected that they would be like their fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers (Birmingham, Majingilane and Mapogo)
But at this point they aren't and I doubt they will ever come close to being as formidable. These were incredibly strong coalitions that left their mark on Sabi Sand with their legacy, lions "build differently", which the Kambulas have proved many times not to be.

They have many of us puzzled and confused, myself included, and have for some time. But, at the end of the day, and as you mentioned, they are wild animals, and as such are not beholden to our timelines or wishes. Speaking for myself, but that very unpredictability is one of the big reasons for my wishing to follow them so closely, it allows me to literally learn something new about them, and myself, each and every day.
5 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2024, 01:58 PM by KM600 )

The one good thing is that they haven’t lost a member despite taking numerous beatings. As long as they are a coalition of 4, they’re always gonna have a chance of being dominant, pride males. I think ppl are just overreacting. 

@Ngonya you're right they might never be as formidable as their bloodline, they certainly aren’t right now, but I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing. Everyone wants their favourite male lions to be the biggest, strongest, control the most prides etc.. it’s not realistic. If these kind of lions were so common, we wouldn’t have so many ppl that still interact on the Mapogo story, following their bloodline. 

The Northern Avocas were strong but nowhere near as formidable as these same legendary coalitions albeit u could argue that was partly due to only being 3 members at their peak compared to others being a coalition of 5 / 6. Look at how successful they’ve become. I, personally, couldn’t care if these boys didn’t become the strongest lions in the area as they don’t need to be in order to control a pride, they just need to show willingness to fight. Them being a coalition of 4, by itself, would make rival males think twice about challenging them.
4 users Like KM600's post

Salman B.A.M Offline

(07-20-2024, 01:03 PM)KM600 Wrote: The one good thing is that they haven’t lost a member despite taking numerous beatings. As long as they are a coalition of 4, they’re always gonna have a chance of being dominant, pride males. I think ppl are just overreacting. 

@Ngonya you're right they might never be as formidable as their bloodline, they certainly aren’t right now, but I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing. Everyone wants their favourite male lions to be the biggest, strongest, control the most prides etc.. it’s not realistic. If these kind of lions were so common, we wouldn’t have so many ppl that still interact on the Mapogo story, following their bloodline. 

The Northern Avocas were strong but nowhere near as formidable as these same legendary coalitions albeit u could argue that was partly due to only being 3 members at their peak compared to others being a coalition of 5 / 6. Look at how successful they’ve become. I, personally, couldn’t care if these boys didn’t become the strongest lions in the area as they don’t need to be in order to control a pride, they just need to show willingness to fight. Them being a coalition of 4, by itself, would make rival males think twice about challenging them.

I agree. In all honesty, they dont have to please me or anyone else to live their lives. As long as they live a long life, even with defeats, that in and of itself will be legendary. how many great coalitions have lost their partners and become nomads and died due to hunger and by being aloof? At least these boys remain together, and I dare say, I hope they will learn from these defeats. But being a fanboi myself, these boys look so gigantic even Infront of RRD male, that its disappointing they did not give him a whopping or even killed him. I remember a time when guides claimed RRD and Dark Mane Avoca were the biggest in the reserve, and these boys come along and make RRD male look malnourished. So, somethingz gotta give, either they learn things quickly, or unfortunately our feeds will be filled with bad news one after another.
2 users Like Salman B.A.M's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Why are we constantly ranking and comparing these lions to someone??

This is not a game or competition which they are playing for us, so we can make "ranking list" or idk what..

Every lion, coalition and pride are different and unique, doing their best to survive, thats why its interesting to follow and observe them.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(07-20-2024, 04:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Why are we constantly ranking and comparing these lions to someone??

This is not a game or competition which they are playing for us, so we can make "ranking list" or idk what..

Every lion, coalition and pride are different and unique, doing their best to survive, thats why its interesting to follow and observe them.

I’ve grown tired of the pretending like these lions are your favorite nba teams defending them and then disrespecting another lion but to call them dumb WOW I have no words. Can’t ever share information and not have an argument on who’s better who’s stronger
5 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

K4 was like "I'm helping!", I wonder how long would it take for him to realize he was trying to kill his brother if the lioness had not attacked him.

Those sort of attacks at the back can cause serious damage very quickly, K5 was lucky.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2024, 08:45 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-20-2024, 08:23 PM)Mapokser Wrote: K4 was like "I'm helping!", I wonder how long would it take for him to realize he was trying to kill his brother if the lioness had not attacked him.

Those sort of attacks at the back can cause serious damage very quickly, K5 was lucky.

Actually he returned back to attacking even after lioness attacked him, it was K5 who flipped RRM around and managed to stand up when K4 realized "oh shit, I made an mistake".

So yea, K5 saved himself.

I mean mistakes happen in a chaos like this, by this point, from K4's view, they where winning, Nharus where retreating from him, then he finds 2 males in a clich, similar size and mane, he instinctly reacted with taught its was them who are winning and his bro managed to catch RRM.

Its instinct/adrenaline reaction in chaos like this, without sniffing 2 males, its impossible for him to tell who is who in a spilt second.

K5 definetly has some word for him after lol.

Ngonya Offline

(07-20-2024, 01:03 PM)KM600 Wrote: The one good thing is that they haven’t lost a member despite taking numerous beatings. As long as they are a coalition of 4, they’re always gonna have a chance of being dominant, pride males. I think ppl are just overreacting. 
They haven't lost a member for pure luck.  Grin
Both Gijimas and Plains Camp managed to get a hold of a single of their members in the matter of a week or so

(07-20-2024, 01:03 PM)KM600 Wrote: I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing. Everyone wants their favourite male lions to be the biggest, strongest, control the most prides etc.. it’s not realistic. If these kind of lions were so common, we wouldn’t have so many ppl that still interact on the Mapogo story, following their bloodline. 
Exactly. Being able to protect a territory and spread ur lineage is already more than enough.
The only concern for me is Kambulas getting themselves killed because of their confidence. But fortunately, seems like they are growing it, for now on i believe it only gets better.

(07-20-2024, 04:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Why are we constantly ranking and comparing these lions to someone??

I only mentioned their male lineage for that exact reason  Sad

People created out of pocket expectations because of their male lineage being the most formidable, but the Kambulas are themselves. They are unique like any other lion coalition. 

The point is, for being a lion (and any other animal in the wild) the best you can do to survive is to be strong. Kambulas are physically strong individuals, amazing buffalo hunters and have been doing well physically since ever. But when in enemy territory, not even trying to takeover, they were close to losing members twice in a week or so because a singular individual got caught. We barely see them alone so i would suppose Gijimas/PCM isolated one of them in some point during a pursuit, but assumptions don't matter, what matters is that they almost lost a brother. Their behavior to this day has not harmed anyone other than themselves, the frustrated spectators don't matter
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-20-2024, 09:19 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The point is, for being a lion (and any other animal in the wild) the best you can do to survive is to be strong. Kambulas are physically strong individuals, amazing buffalo hunters and have been doing well physically since ever. But when in enemy territory, not even trying to takeover, they were close to losing members twice in a week or so because a singular individual got caught. We barely see them alone so i would suppose Gijimas/PCM isolated one of them in some point during a pursuit, but assumptions don't matter, what matters is that they almost lost a brother. Their behavior to this day has not harmed anyone other than themselves, the frustrated spectators don't matter

Yet they didnt lost a member since they become nomads, for almost 3 yrs now (and we know how tough is to survive nomadic life, many, even bigger coalitions fail).

You can call it a luck, but luck is very big part of lions life, same as RRM was "lucky" that K4 did a mistake, otherwise he could possibly be injured or even dead by now.

We can find those "lucky" moments for every coalition and lion around, its a thin line.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2024, 09:49 PM by Ngonya )

(07-20-2024, 09:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yet they didnt lost a member since they become nomads, for almost 3 yrs now (and we know how tough is to survive nomadic life, many, even bigger coalitions fail).

You can call it a luck, but luck is very big part of lions life, same as RRM was "lucky" that K4 did a mistake, otherwise he could possibly be injured or even dead by now.

We can find those "lucky" moments for every coalition and lion around, its a thin line.
True, luck plays a big role in everyones life (ourselves included)

But doesn't change the fact that they had a huge amount of bad and good luck when getting beaten by both Gijimas and Plains Camp but surviving with minor "injuries". I'm not sure but iirc only male that PCMs killed was Nhenha. Gijimas brutally mauled Ubuso and, more recently, Tumbela, but also didn't kill any of them (at least not 100% directly).

I can call it luck, and i will. Because happening twice in the matter of a week and surviving is absolutely pure luck/unluck. But whether that's the case or not it doesn't change the fact that their behavior put them in this life-threatening position twice (or more, since K3 also got beaten by Gijimas when they were younger).
So i keep what i said previously, their behavior has not harmed and put in danger anyone more than themselves