There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States T_Ferguson Online
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 07:33 PM by T_Ferguson )

I saw a report on the internets that said the S8 Male had a run in with the Black Dam Males.  Does anybody have confirmation on that?  it didn't imply that either had been too roughed up.

Found it...

7 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 08:26 PM by criollo2mil )

(05-01-2023, 07:20 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I saw a report on the internets that said the S8 Male had a run in with the Black Dam Males.  Does anybody have confirmation on that?  it didn't imply that either had been too roughed up.

Found it...

There’s still some confusion as to who exactly S8 encountered.   Deon said he was sen chasing Mohawk towards the west and also in pursuit and responding to roars from BDYMs.    Found w blood around his mouth but no definitive conclusion as to whose blood it was.   Even Nkuhuma Male was mentioned as being chased…..it’s outside his roaming area so it could have been Khanya or mis ID make
6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 08:32 PM by criollo2mil )

Deon’s report regarding events from past 12hrs 

“The S8 male this morning on little Gowrie. Which is rather far south from where we normally see him. The dynamics of these males are rather upside down. 
Avoca male is getting chased around by the Black dam males. S8 Male had an altercation with them last night . Blood is visible around his mouth. This morning, he was courting one Nkuhuma females. Which was previously mating with the more dominant Black Dam male. 
Let's see what we have in store for the coming months. It's surely going to get interesting.

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 08:44 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-01-2023, 08:30 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Deon’s report regarding events from past 12hrs 

“The S8 male this morning on little Gowrie. Which is rather far south from where we normally see him. The dynamics of these males are rather upside down. 
Avoca male is getting chased around by the Black dam males. S8 Male had an altercation with them last night . Blood is visible around his mouth. This morning, he was courting one Nkuhuma females. Which was previously mating with the more dominant Black Dam male. 
Let's see what we have in store for the coming months. It's surely going to get interesting.

Looks like S8 won another battle against BDM's, or prob only 1 BDM from who he stole his NK girlfriend.

But he needs to be careful, he is outnumbered.

And this is not his territory, he pushed further south, prob caught scent from NK female in estrus.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 08:52 PM by criollo2mil )

Footage of S8 during one of his ‘pursuits’ of rivals 

S8 male on the Rampage
S8 was trailing the last Avoca male who was with the Nkuhuma sub males.
He chased and split them up, eventually finding Avoca and 1 of the males on the EP airstrip. They ran and S8 gave chase - the hunt was on. S8 was on the rampage for a few hours but Avoca and young Nkuhuma got away. The confidence and aggression of S8 reminds me of the Mapogo boys - he is relentless and on a mission - what a lion he is!! ?
Credits: melc_in_the_wild Ig”

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

5 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Attempt of expanding south will probably end up ugly for S8 male. As a loner he stand no chance against 2 healty males in their prime, no matter what powerhouse he is. Hopefully he he won't share fate of Othawa male, through he seems to be going same path.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-01-2023, 09:47 PM)Potato Wrote: Attempt of expanding south will probably end up ugly for S8 male. As a loner he stand no chance against 2 healty males in their prime, no matter what powerhouse he is. Hopefully he he won't share fate of Othawa male, through he seems to be going same path.

He is over 10 yrs old male, so i dont think he has anything "worth" saving himself for at this point, as he is not getting younger. He is going for opportunities while he still has the power.

We could say :  "but he has cubs in Talamati pride to protect".. yea, but males dont think like that, they wont stop expanding and seeking mating opportunities because they have cubs in former pride.

I mean, whats the point for him at this age to stay low, hang with Talamatis, eventually become old and weak, get ousted, become nomadic and get eaten by hyenas..

Or to try seek opportunities while he can, regardless if he gets killed.

Definetly the latter.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 10:42 PM by Tr1x24 )

People were pointing at Ndhzengas (even Birminghams before) how they look small compared to Kambulas, but even orange eyed BDM doesnt look any bigger:

*This image is copyright of its original author

This girls are just big, especially this K6/infertile/pale female.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-01-2023, 08:51 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: He chased and split them up, eventually finding Avoca and 1 of the males on the EP airstrip.

This other young male was prob Blonde Talamati, no? As he was with Mohawk.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

(05-01-2023, 10:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 08:51 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: He chased and split them up, eventually finding Avoca and 1 of the males on the EP airstrip.

I am not sure if that was ever confirmed.  I think we all wanted to believe it was Blonde Talamati, but nobody ever said it was for certain.  I thought Blonde was back with his brother myself.  So confusing.  hahaha
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 11:21 PM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 This BDM is definitely bigger than at least the smaller Ndhzenga but still he isn't a big male, he's probably average, which is a bit surprising since his uncle was so huge.

Maybe not in height but the PCM for instance would definitely look much bigger in the place of this guy and Londolozi did say they look big close to the Kambula's mothers and sisters which they said were of decent size themselves.

Regardless it's true Kambulas are big, this one in particular is huge, I wonder if she's bigger than Talamatis and Nkuhumas who are known to have big lionesses.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 11:38 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser im just saying that size can be tricky to judge when we compare males to females, as some females are bigger then others.

So you can have a situation where you see X male with small female from one pride, so he is bigger then her, and then you see Y male with big female from another pride, who are around the same size. We then immidiatley conclude, because of size difference compared to these females, that X male is bigger then Y, when in realiy those 2 females are much different in size.

I remember few years ago, when current Tsalala princes was just a cub, encounter of her mother, Tsalala queen and 1 of Kambula females (not sure if it was this K6 female) and Nhenha was there aswell, that Kambula female was much bigger in size then Tsalala.

Not sure how Nkuhumas, Talamatis and others would stack, but some of Kambulas, with their mothers from Mhangeni pride and young Tinya, look quite big.

So obiviously, when you see certain males with those big females, they dont look that big.

Contributor

(05-01-2023, 10:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:

I am not sure if that was ever confirmed.  I think we all wanted to believe it was Blonde Talamati, but nobody ever said it was for certain.  I thought Blonde was back with his brother myself.  So confusing.  hahaha

The Blonde Talamati was definitely w Mohawk yesterday,,,,see post in the Talamati thread.   I do believe the ‘son’ referenced in the report is most likely him.   Since the 4 Nkuhuma YMs are together separately
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

(05-01-2023, 11:52 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 10:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:

The Blonde Talamati was definitely w Mohawk yesterday,,,,see post in the Talamati thread.   I do believe the ‘son’ referenced in the report is most likely him.   Since the 4 Nkuhuma YMs are together separately
Yeah, that thread said it was Kambula and not Talamati.  Am I missing something?