There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2020, 01:00 AM by BA0701 )

Question regarding the Mapogos. I have seen different names for the six tossed around, and I am not sure which ones are correct. Just as I have also heard that it was Rasta who was among the final 2 with Makhulu, but I firmly believe that it was Pretty Boy who was with Makhulu, those two always seemed to have a very special connection. But, the names seem to be a little more confusing. I have seen lists that show the following names:

Makhulu
Pretty Boy
Rasta
Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

Then I have seen lists that replace Dreadlocks with Scar Hip. So, for me part of the confusion is with Rasta and Dreadlocks, which for me appear to be two versions of the same name, but then I have heard people say that Pretty Boy was the scar hip male. So, were Rasta and Dreadlocks two different lions, was Pretty Boy and Scar Hip the same lion?

So many individual personalities in all six of these lions, but they all shared the characteristics that caused people to stand up and pay attention, and that was they all possessed a warriors heart, and never die attitude, and there were 6 of them sticking together. Characteristics, I would argue, that are shared among most lions, but the fact that there were six of them standing together, which was a coalition the likes people had not seen before, coupled with what many saw as an unprecedented brutality and you begin the see the legend of The Mapogos materialize. There were many previously undocumented behaviors witnessed by the Mapogos, such as the killing of females willing to mate with them, and in the case of Mr. T the killing of a female while mating with her followed by his consuming her. Along with Mr. T's having killed all of his own brothers cubs, right in front of them, another previously undocumented behavior. All told, I believe the Mapogos were a very interesting group of lions, who I believe showed the world what it is to be a lion, and to quote the biologist on Brothers in Blood, they were simply trying to be the best lions that they could be.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-05-2020, 12:57 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Question regarding the Mapogos. I have seen different names for the six tossed around, and I am not sure which ones are correct. Just as I have also heard that it was Rasta who was among the final 2 with Makhulu, but I firmly believe that it was Pretty Boy who was with Makhulu, those two always seemed to have a very special connection. But, the names seem to be a little more confusing. I have seen lists that show the following names:

Makhulu
Pretty Boy
Rasta
Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

Then I have seen lists that replace Dreadlocks with Scar Hip. So, for me part of the confusion is with Rasta and Dreadlocks, which for me appear to be two versions of the same name, but then I have heard people say that Pretty Boy was the scar hip male. So, were Rasta and Dreadlocks two different lions, was Pretty Boy and Scar Hip the same lion?

So many individual personalities in all six of these lions, but they all shared the characteristics that caused people to stand up and pay attention, and that was they all possessed a warriors heart, and never die attitude, and there were 6 of them sticking together. Characteristics, I would argue, that are shared among most lions, but the fact that there were six of them standing together, which was a coalition the likes people had not seen before, coupled with what many saw as an unprecedented brutality and you begin the see the legend of The Mapogos materialize. There were many previously undocumented behaviors witnessed by the Mapogos, such as the killing of females willing to mate with them, and in the case of Mr. T the killing of a female while mating with her followed by his consuming her. Along with Mr. T's having killed all of his own brothers cubs, right in front of them, another previously undocumented behavior. All told, I believe the Mapogos were a very interesting group of lions, who I believe showed the world what it is to be a lion, and to quote the biologist on Brothers in Blood, they were simply trying to be the best lions that they could be.

Documentary about Mapogos used different names for Dreadlocks and Rasta if i remember correctly, Dreadlocks was called Rasta, and Rasta or Pretty Boy was called Scar, something like that..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(06-05-2020, 01:21 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 12:57 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Question regarding the Mapogos. I have seen different names for the six tossed around, and I am not sure which ones are correct. Just as I have also heard that it was Rasta who was among the final 2 with Makhulu, but I firmly believe that it was Pretty Boy who was with Makhulu, those two always seemed to have a very special connection. But, the names seem to be a little more confusing. I have seen lists that show the following names:

Makhulu
Pretty Boy
Rasta
Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

Documentary about Mapogos used different names for Dreadlocks and Rasta if i remember correctly, Dreadlocks was called Rasta, and Rasta or Pretty Boy was called Scar, something like that..

Thank you for that! That is exactly what I thought as it makes total sense. However, it seems to leave a missing lion in there somewhere then. Please tell me who is missing from the following list:

Makhulu
Pretty Boy/Scar Hip
Rasta/Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

That is only 5 names.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Makhulu
Pretty Boy
Rasta
Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

I checked, Dreadlocks was called Rasta, and Rasta was called Pretty Boy, and Pretty Boy was called Scar, in documentary.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-05-2020, 01:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Thank you for that! That is exactly what I thought as it makes total sense. However, it seems to leave a missing lion in there somewhere then. Please tell me who is missing from the following list:

Makhulu
Pretty Boy/Scar Hip
Rasta/Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

That is only 5 names.

Rasta and Dreadlocks are 2 lions.

Super Moderator

(06-05-2020, 01:28 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 01:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Thank you for that! That is exactly what I thought as it makes total sense. However, it seems to leave a missing lion in there somewhere then. Please tell me who is missing from the following list:

Makhulu
Pretty Boy/Scar Hip
Rasta/Dreadlocks
Mr. T
Kinky Tail

That is only 5 names.

Rasta and Dreadlocks are 2 lions.

Ok, thank you. I would typically think that Rasta and Dreadlocks are two names describing the same thing, but I guess in this case, perhaps, it was two different lions who shared the same characteristic, using the two names to differentiate. Thank you, cheers!

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Initially Rasta had bigger mane so he was named Rasta/Dreadlock, but later on other Mapogo male mane grow to even bigger and so he was named Dreadlock as well while Rasta was no longer called Dreadlock, just Rasta. Names of the Mapogos:

1. Makhulu/Big Mak 

2. Rasta/Dreadlocks/T1/Red/Leonidas

3. Pretty Boy/Skorro/Bent Spine/T2

4. Dreadlocks/The Beast/Scar

5. Mr T/Satan/Mohawk

6. Kinky Tail/Shaka
3 users Like Potato's post

Ireland Nate121 Offline

Hello guys 

I’m new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading threw all the pages and seeing all the incredible information and pictures you guys have posted! 
I stumbled on the story of the Mapogos about twos months ago and have read and watched as much as I could find online Up to now. Very amazing story and coalition of lions! 
I have a question regarding Makhulu (personally my favorite of the coalition). So as far as Iv read when him and PB got pushed out of there territory in Sabi Sands and after PB died, Makhulu left Sabi Sands for KNP in 2012/2013?Iv read that he dissepared after going into KNP and also read he was killed by rivals males when he got to KNP and also read he died of old age/ starvation, is there any info on Big Maks last days or did he vanish after entering KNP? 

Thanks in advance for any replies
Nate
2 users Like Nate121's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the famous Mapogo lions (Mr T) One of the legend who was part of the Mapogo members in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, South Africa

(My favorite among the Mapogo brothers) 
Credit: Idube Game Reserve (2005 to 2007)

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A young Dreadlocks of the Mapogo male lions, This Picture was taken in 2006.
Credit: Idube Game Reserve.

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Makhulu in his Absolute prime!
What a gorgeous beast of Male Lion! 
Credit: Idube Game Reserve.

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-05-2020, 02:57 AM)Nate121 Wrote: Hello guys 

I’m new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading threw all the pages and seeing all the incredible information and pictures you guys have posted! 
I stumbled on the story of the Mapogos about twos months ago and have read and watched as much as I could find online Up to now. Very amazing story and coalition of lions! 

I have a question regarding Makhulu (personally my favorite of the coalition). So as far as Iv read when him and PB got pushed out of there territory in Sabi Sands and after PB died, Makhulu left Sabi Sands for KNP in 2012/2013?Iv read that he dissepared after going into KNP and also read he was killed by rivals males when he got to KNP and also read he died of old age/ starvation, is there any info on Big Maks last days or did he vanish after entering KNP? 

Nate

Hello, check page 4 of "Lion tales" thread about last days and sightings of Makhulu and Pretty Boy.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ireland Nate121 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2020, 02:49 PM by Rishi )

(06-05-2020, 02:57 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Hello, check page 4 of "Lion tales" thread about last days and sightings of Makhulu and Pretty Boy.

Just checked it out there! Great read thank you! Amazing how Mukhulu was the first out of  them and the last one alive!
3 users Like Nate121's post

Super Moderator

(06-05-2020, 01:47 AM)Potato Wrote: Initially Rasta had bigger mane so he was named Rasta/Dreadlock, but later on other Mapogo male mane grow to even bigger and so he was named Dreadlock as well while Rasta was no longer called Dreadlock, just Rasta. Names of the Mapogos:

1. Makhulu/Big Mak 

2. Rasta/Dreadlocks/T1/Red/Leonidas

3. Pretty Boy/Skorro/Bent Spine/T2

4. Dreadlocks/The Beast/Scar

5. Mr T/Satan/Mohawk

6. Kinky Tail/Shaka

Thank you so much for this, it was incredibly helpful, and will provide a great reference for others trying to make sense of hearing these 6 lions often referredd to by so many different names. Cheers!

Super Moderator

(06-05-2020, 02:57 AM)Nate121 Wrote: Hello guys 

Nate

Welcome to the forum, fairly new myself. I think you will find this the best place on the web for information on a subject we all enjoy learning about very much. You will find so many of the members incredibly knowledgeable and equally helpful. Enjoy!
2 users Like BA0701's post