There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-17-2024, 04:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 04:33 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote: Hello everyone, first of all pardon me for not finding where I read it, but it was somewhere on yt like 2 years ago so the source is probably wrong, anyway , that comment said thay the Kruger Male the same male who had a scuffle with the Kambulas yesterday or so, might be grandson of the Mapogos, is there any possibility that can be true, I personaly find it hard to believe, Kruger Male is in between 11 to 14 years old and I dont know if Mapogos already had sons who could have been dominant males by that time.

Nah, some speculated that he might be son of Robson males (Stompie and One Eye), due to similarity with them in face, but no way to know.

The only thing that makes me question his being the son of the Robson Males, is the fact that the WSMs accepted his coming into the Sparta pride. WSMs were rough characters as well, I just do not see them permitting that.

Super Moderator

(07-21-2024, 10:17 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: So it has been brought to my attention that makhulu was NOT born in the tsalala pride so he was likely born in the Sparta pride or ximhungwe pride

That is a pretty matter of fact statement, is there any proof of this? Given that to this day, people still have no knowledge of where he actually came from, or even who his fathers were, and this many years later, unless someone has clear pictures of him with his natal pride, which I doubt given we are still discussing it, then it is likely to remain that way.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2024, 11:13 PM by criollo2mil )

(07-21-2024, 10:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-21-2024, 10:17 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: So it has been brought to my attention that makhulu was NOT born in the tsalala pride so he was likely born in the Sparta pride or ximhungwe pride

That is a pretty matter of fact statement, is there any proof of this? Given that to this day, people still have no knowledge of where he actually came from, or even who his fathers were, and this many years later, unless someone has clear pictures of him with his natal pride, which I doubt given we are still discussing it, then it is likely to remain that way.

The part about him not being Tsalala is definitive.  

We have accounts of every single cub born into Tsalala since BBs mum and Auntie went nomadic as a breakaway from ximunghwe/castleton
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(07-21-2024, 11:12 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

We have accounts of every single cub born into Tsalala since BBs mum and Auntie went nomadic as a breakaway from ximunghwe/castleton

Well, one checked of the list for sure, then. Thank you for clearing that up. Having heard so many possibilities tossed out there, I didn't know we could rule any options out. Likely to remain an unsolved mystery. Wouldn't that be something, if out of the blue we get an influx of pictures of him as a sub, with his natal pride. With all of the safaris in that general region, one has to think that someone, somewhere, has pictures of him at a young age.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(07-21-2024, 11:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Well, one checked of the list for sure, then. Thank you for clearing that up. Having heard so many possibilities tossed out there, I didn't know we could  rule any options out. Likely to remain an unsolved mystery. Wouldn't that be something, if out of the blue we get an influx of pictures of him as a sub, with his natal pride. With all of the safaris in that general region, one has to think that someone, somewhere, has pictures of him at a young age.

A friend from on here sent me a link from the londolozi blog on the history of the tsalala pride and it said all male cubs died so I think it would be impossible for him to have been from the tsalala pride and I believe he was born in 1998 and the males cubs died very young so it just didn’t add up
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Super Moderator

(07-22-2024, 12:48 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(07-21-2024, 11:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Well, one checked of the list for sure, then. Thank you for clearing that up. Having heard so many possibilities tossed out there, I didn't know we could  rule any options out. Likely to remain an unsolved mystery. Wouldn't that be something, if out of the blue we get an influx of pictures of him as a sub, with his natal pride. With all of the safaris in that general region, one has to think that someone, somewhere, has pictures of him at a young age.

A friend from on here sent me a link from the londolozi blog on the history of the tsalala pride and it said all male cubs died so I think it would be impossible for him to have been from the tsalala pride and I believe he was born in 1998 and the males cubs died very young so it just didn’t add up

Thank you, for that. I was unaware, but I am now. That at least rules out one of the options we have been given for years.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Basically The tsalala pride are 2 females that broke away from the castleton pride in 1998 and had 7 cubs they moved into western londolozi and clashed with the Sparta pride and 3 cubs got killed another altercation happened and a female and a male was killed then one of the two died was killed because she was kicked in the head and died later the last female and 2 cubs 1 male and 1 female the male was poached and killed leaving 1 adult female and 1 cub female and then the mother died and left her daughter she was sired by the west street males no Makhulu from the tsalala pride I will try and post the blog so everyone can read it but that was a short breakdown of what happened
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 07-29-2024, 01:33 AM by BA0701 )

One of James Miller's videos, this one about Mr T and KT. It includes some video of the fight with the 5th Majin, that I, personally, hadn't seen before. Not only was he able to stand, after the mauling he had just endured, as we have all seen thanks to the picture that was posted some time back, but he actually was able to partially get up, during the fight, just seems, due to all of the damage that had been inflicted, his back legs did not cooperate. So impressive, all of the lion history that Mr Miller was able to witness first hand, I cannot imagine the stories he would tell, but I for sure would love to hear them.

2 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I missed the Makhulu discussion but he wasn't born into the Sparta pride unless MalaMala failed to properly recognize the missing Sparta subadult of the same age ( which is a possibility MalaMala mentions IIRC ), he had a hard time joining the pride and wasn't seen being accepted by his supposed mother or littermate sister which I think he'd easily be if he was the missing Sparta subadult.

He isn't from the Tsalala pride either.

The most obvious guess would be the Charleston pride. Charlestons were neighbors to the Spartas with overlapping territory so it'd be easy for Makhulu to wonder a bit and meet the Spartas.

Ximunghwes were very far away in the West, he'd have to venture very far from his natal area to find the Sparta pride, very unlikely for a 1,5yo subadult to do.

His age also matches up perfectly well for being a second generation of WSM offspring in the Charleston pride. Rollercoasters were born in 1996 and MalaMala estimates Makhulu was born in late 1998.

If this is true, what probably happened was that Makhulu was too young to follow his RC brothers and with the Charleston pride abandoned, he was forced to leave under pressure of the 2 new dominant males of the Charleston prde ( I forgot their name ), he moved off a little bit north and joined the Sparta pride.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-30-2024, 06:24 AM by afortich )

One of the greatest leaders, the smart Makhulu (The Big One). Last sighting was entering the Krugger National Park on March 2013 in good condition but never returned.

7 users Like afortich's post