There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 01:37 AM by BA0701 )

The Selatis after the fight with Mr. T. All four show signs of the fight, but I think I am most surprised by how young they all appear, with their short and patchy manes.

1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(06-13-2020, 01:30 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: I thought it was the selati that got PB

You would be correct, that was my mistake. Thank you!!

Super Moderator

The rumors never cease with this coalition, it would seem. I just got done reading a long post regarding the night Kinky Tail was killed, and apparently there is speculation that Mr. T had been darted, which resulted in his late appearance to the fight. As the post claims, apparently Mr. T was chasing two of the Magingilanes, and Kinky Tail was chasing the other two. Mr. T got darted, taking him our of the fight, allowing the two he was chasing to turn back and join in the fight. M.  finally woke up, and joined the fight, but was still groggy from having been darted, and was stumbling when he tried to help in the fight. There is an entre Facebook post dedicated to this.

Is there any truth to this, or is this just nonsense? So much rumor and speculation on the Internet, regarding this mighty coalition, which is precisely why I come to these forums to try and weed the truth from the nonsense. There is such a large amount of subject matter knowledge in this forum.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 02:12 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-13-2020, 01:48 AM)BA0701 Wrote: The rumors never cease with this coalition, it would seem. I just got done reading a long post regarding the night Kinky Tail was killed, and apparently there is speculation that Mr. T had been darted, which resulted in his late appearance to the fight. As the post claims, apparently Mr. T was chasing two of the Magingilanes, and Kinky Tail was chasing the other two. Mr. T got darted, taking him our of the fight, allowing the two he was chasing to turn back and join in the fight. M.  finally woke up, and joined the fight, but was still groggy from having been darted, and was stumbling when he tried to help in the fight. There is an entre Facebook post dedicated to this.

Is there any truth to this, or is this just nonsense? So much rumor and speculation on the Internet, regarding this mighty coalition, which is precisely why I come to these forums to try and weed the truth from the nonsense. There is such a large amount of subject matter knowledge in this forum.

Nonsense, if Mr. T was darted he would never arrived at the fight scene, sedation lasts for few hours, and he arrived just a few minutes too late, Majingilanes already mauled KT, and then Scar Nose and Golden Mane chased Mr T, while Dark Mane and Hip Scar stayed and mauled KT.

Because of Mapogos fame and popularity, people always think its some conspiracy that lead to their downfall, which is not true. They are lions like every others, they are not some Gods that cannot be killed in a fight.. 

The best one is that rangers and park owners hate Mapogos because they where bad for lion population, because they kill many lions, and because of that they removed them on purpose by darting Mr T and poaching Rasta and Dreadlocks , which is the most stupid thing i have ever heard. 

Yes, Rasta (maybe) and Dreadlocks (for sure) where poached, but they are not the first and wont be the last lions with that fate, and that has nothing to do with Mapogos..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(06-13-2020, 02:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 01:48 AM)BA0701 Wrote: The rumors never cease with this coalition, it would seem. I just got done reading a long post regarding the night Kinky Tail was killed, and apparently there is speculation that Mr. T had been darted, which resulted in his late appearance to the fight. As the post claims, apparently Mr. T was chasing two of the Magingilanes, and Kinky Tail was chasing the other two. Mr. T got darted, taking him our of the fight, allowing the two he was chasing to turn back and join in the fight. M.  finally woke up, and joined the fight, but was still groggy from having been darted, and was stumbling when he tried to help in the fight. There is an entre Facebook post dedicated to this.

Nonsense, if Mr. T was darted he would never arrived at the fight scene, sedation lasts for few hours, and he arrived just a few minutes too late, Majingilanes already mauled KT, and then Scar Nose and Golden Mane chased Mr T, while Dark Mane and Hip Scar stayed and mauled KT.

Because of Mapogos fame and popularity, people always think its some conspiracy that lead to their downfall, which is not true. 

The best one is that rangers and park owners hate Mapogos because they where bad for lion population, because they kill many lions, and because of that they removed them, which is the most stupid thing i have ever heard. 

Yes, Rasta (maybe) and Dreadlocks (for sure) where poached, but they are not the first and wont be the last lions with that fate, and that has nothing to do with Mapogos..
Haha, yes my friend, I believe you read the exact same post, possibly. That post did indeed mention that the Mapogos were hated by the local populace, due to having killed so many other lions, causing the safari reserves to not have lions to show their clients. Thank you, very much, for straightening that out for me!!

Super Moderator

Because of Mapogos fame and popularity, people always think its some conspiracy that lead to their downfall, which is not true. They are lions like every others, they are not some Gods that cannot be killed in a fight.. 

The best one is that rangers and park owners hate Mapogos because they where bad for lion population, because they kill many lions, and because of that they removed them on purpose by darting Mr T and poaching Rasta and Dreadlocks , which is the most stupid thing i have ever heard. 

In one of my previous posts, I posted a video of Ranger Willem Botha, back on page 119 of this thread, when he had darted some of the Mapogos. In it the video shows some anti-poaching scouts, it describes them as some of the most highly trained anti-poaching scouts in the Sabi Sands. The video says that sadly they are no longer in the area, do you know the reason for them no longer being there? Is it purely financial, perhaps not enough tourism, political, or is there another reason for their having been removed?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-13-2020, 02:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Haha, yes my friend, I believe you read the exact same post, possibly. That post did indeed mention that the Mapogos were hated by the local populace, due to having killed so many other lions, causing the safari reserves to not have lions to show their clients. Thank you, very much, for straightening that out for me!!

Yea, and with that supposedly "darting" KT and "targeted poaching" Rasta and Dreadlocks, they directly killed all their cub that they where raising at that time, who where killed by Majingilanes and Selatis in takeovers, so how is that good for lion population? Just nonsense without any logic.. 

Also, that claim that they killed about 100 lions in a year is highly exaggerated, and only used for documentary purpose..

I mean there wasnt even 100 lions in total in Sabi Sands at that time, neither is now..

Mapogos are great and legendary coalition, but their fans can be anoxius sometimes with all those conspiracy theories, of which i never heard any other coalition had..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(06-13-2020, 02:35 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Haha, yes my friend, I believe you read the exact same post, possibly. That post did indeed mention that the Mapogos were hated by the local populace, due to having killed so many other lions, causing the safari reserves to not have lions to show their clients. Thank you, very much, for straightening that out for me!!

Yea, and with that supposedly "darting" KT and "targeted poaching" Rasta and Dreadlocks, they directly killed all their cub that they where raising at that time, who where killed by Majingilanes and Selatis in takeovers, so how is that good for lion population? Just nonsense without any logic.. 

Also, that claim that they killed about 100 lions in a year is highly exaggerated, and only used for documentary purpose..

I mean there wasnt even 100 lions in total in Sabi Sands at that time, neither is now..

Mapogos are great and legendary coalition, but their fans can be anoxius sometimes with all those conspiracy theories, of which i never heard any other coalition had..
They killed 100 lions
Including cubs,Lionesses and male lions. So I don't think is "Exaggerated" is the fact.
Willem Botha has claimed that numerous times.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-13-2020, 02:24 AM)BA0701 Wrote: In one of my previous posts, I posted a video of Ranger Willem Botha, back on page 119 of this thread, when he had darted some of the Mapogos. In it the video shows some anti-poaching scouts, it describes them as some of the most highly trained anti-poaching scouts in the Sabi Sands. The video says that sadly they are no longer in the area, do you know the reason for them no longer being there? Is it purely financial, perhaps not enough tourism, political, or is there another reason for their having been removed?

Sry, i dont know much of that..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(06-13-2020, 02:41 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:24 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

In one of my previous posts, I posted a video of Ranger Willem Botha, back on page 119 of this thread, when he had darted some of the Mapogos. In it the video shows some anti-poaching scouts, it describes them as some of the most highly trained anti-poaching scouts in the Sabi Sands. The video says that sadly they are no longer in the area, do you know the reason for them no longer being there? Is it purely financial, perhaps not enough tourism, political, or is there another reason for their having been removed?

Willem Botha, he did TB analysis to the Mapogo's  none of this is related to the death of Rasta and Kinky Tail, (About Dreadlocks thing was confirmed that he was killed by a trap) The same Willem Botha stated it a few months ago in this year.)
Yes, indeed. That is what is shown in the video I referred to, it was him while he was doing those very tests. I was wondering the reason for the removal of those anti-poaching scouts from the Sabi Sands. Give the money that comes into that area due to those reserves, I would have figured that is a full time job trying to keep those poachers at bay. Surprised that they would be removed.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 02:49 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-13-2020, 02:38 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: They killed 100 lions
Including cubs,Lionesses and male lions. So I don't think is "Exaggerated" is the fact.
Willem Botha has claimed that numerous times.

Do you know how many lions that is to kill in a year??

For example, if that was today they would need to kill all Kambula (22), Nkuhuma(19), Talamati(15), Torchwood(14), Othawa(8), Mhangeni(7) prides and that would be only 85 lions, with all other lions theres around 100 lions today in Sabi Sands.. 

And numbers of lions where similar then, if not smaller.. 

By that logic there would be no prides and lions in Sabi Sands today, if they killed 100 lions..

Cmon, just do the math..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ireland Nate121 Offline

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t cannibalism rare in lions? ( of course you have exceptions  like the Mapogos and when KT was killed) but wouldn’t Lions meat be very lean and nutritious for other lions to eat? So why wouldn’t they eat other lions in a take over/ killing nomads ect? Would the meat not be higher quality for them than buffalo, hippo ect?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-13-2020, 12:27 PM)Nate121 Wrote: Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t cannibalism rare in lions? ( of course you have exceptions  like the Mapogos and when KT was killed) but wouldn’t Lions meat be very lean and nutritious for other lions to eat? So why wouldn’t they eat other lions in a take over/ killing nomads ect? Would the meat not be higher quality for them than buffalo, hippo ect?

If the lions are hungary, they will certaintly eat a lion/cub which they kill, you can find plenty of videos of that, but they dont kill them because of food.. 

Lions dont see other lions and big cats, hyenas, as food, yet as competition, the same goes with leopards etc.. 

Leopard will kill other cub leopards and lion cubs, but not because of food, yet because of competition, smaller number of other leopards and lions in his area, better and easier for him. But when he does kill them, he will most likely eat them, if hes hungry.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-13-2020, 01:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Does anyone have any information on the night Pretty Boy received his injuries from the Magingilanes? I had read that he chased the four of them, which ended in a fight, until Makhulu and Mr. T arrived and assisted him. Is there any video or witnesses to this event? Thank you to anyone who might provide some clarity to this!!

**Correction**
It was the Selati who were chased by, and got into a fight with Pretty Boy, not the Magingilanes

1. In 2010 PB apeared with injures to his spine and there was speculations that he may had encounter with Majingilanes althrought fight was never seen and how he got that injures are only speculations.

2. He was also mauled by Salatis in 2012.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Ireland Nate121 Offline

Ah i see the competition aspect makes total sense! Thanks for the detailed reply Tr1x24. I’m fairly new to the information involving the African wild life so still learning. Finding it extremely fascinating do.
1 user Likes Nate121's post