There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

United States Cath2020 Offline

I don't think in this case it was entirely natural.  He was rejoining his own coalition, members that accepted him, then he quietly went about eliminating his own kin.  I think there were 11 of the cubs?  And yes, after that, is when he got the nickname "Satan."  A nickname very apt and fitting.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-13-2020, 10:42 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: I don't think in this case it was entirely natural.  He was rejoining his own coalition, members that accepted him, then he quietly went about eliminating his own kin.  I think there were 11 of the cubs?  And yes, after that, is when he got the nickname "Satan."  A nickname very apt and fitting.

He doesn't know that these are the cubs of his brothers, for him these cubs looked like rival males cubs,and he did what males do in those situation.. Its rare, but happens..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(07-13-2020, 10:42 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: I don't think in this case it was entirely natural.  He was rejoining his own coalition, members that accepted him, then he quietly went about eliminating his own kin.  I think there were 11 of the cubs?  And yes, after that, is when he got the nickname "Satan."  A nickname very apt and fitting.

It's rare but not that exceptional. Matimba's are documented in one case killing cubs they had sired. In NG's Wild Kingdom Sikikama killed his sub-adult son. Those are instances where a camera was around and someone to document it. 

Actually infanticide is still common among humans, so I don't see why a lion doing it is so out of normal.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Would these cubs have survived in the long run as the mopogo reign ended only a few years later?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(07-13-2020, 11:53 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Would these cubs have survived in the long run as the mopogo reign ended only a few years later?

Most likely no, althrough takeovers not always end up with killing youngsters of the pride and since youngsters would be old enough to follow the pride at full time they would have better chance and some of the youngster might survive takeover. Females know how to avoid males if they want to and can defend youngsters with their lives so killing them off wouldn't be so easy as in case of cubs which can't follow the pride and are often left behing while females are hunting making them easier target.
2 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-13-2020, 11:53 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Would these cubs have survived in the long run as the mopogo reign ended only a few years later?
(07-14-2020, 12:39 AM)Potato Wrote: Most likely no, althrough takeovers not always end up with killing youngsters of the pride and since youngsters would be old enough to follow the pride at full time they would have better chance and some of the youngster might survive takeover. Females know how to avoid males if they want to and can defend youngsters with their lives so killing them off wouldn't be so easy as in case of cubs which can't follow the pride and are often left behing while females are hunting making them easier target.

Its hard to tell, those cubs would be what, around 2 when Selatis takeover? They would certaintly had higher chances than those younger cubs who where killed..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Sorry to change the subject but just watched a video on the 3 mopogo v 4 matimbas. I thought the only time the mopogos won when out numbered was against toulons, 3 v 2
Did this fight with the 4 matimbas take place? 
Thanks
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(07-14-2020, 01:51 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Sorry to change the subject but just watched a video on the 3 mopogo v 4 matimbas. I thought the only time the mopogos won when out numbered was against toulons, 3 v 2
Did this fight with the 4 matimbas take place? 
Thanks

Most likely yes althrough there are no clear evidance of it. The Mapogos were found heavly battered at one day and it was obvious that they fought some other coalition. Since that was time in which 6 Matimba males were heavly pressure Sabi Sands from the north that scenario of some of them moving into Singita (Mapogo territory) and fight Mapogos is very likely. However Mapogo's opponents haven't been seen so it is unknow how many of the Matimba males they fought. Also some argue that they in fact fought Majingilanes, not Matimbas. It is impossible to say what really happened and the only think we can say for sure is that Mapogos fought there someone able to give them really hard time.
2 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Is Othawa male the grandson, or perhaps great-grandson, of the Mapogos? I am assuming he is at least related, based on the fact that the Mhangeni Pride was made up of Mapogo daughters, but maybe I do not know the full story.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-14-2020, 11:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Is Othawa male the grandson, or perhaps great-grandson, of the Mapogos? I am assuming he is at least related, based on the fact that the Mhangeni Pride was made up of Mapogo daughters, but maybe I do not know the full story.

Othawa male is born in Othawa pride, and he is the son of Mapogo daughter, she died when he was around 1 yrs old or so..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 11:33 PM by BA0701 )

(07-14-2020, 11:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 11:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Is Othawa male the grandson, or perhaps great-grandson, of the Mapogos? I am assuming he is at least related, based on the fact that the Mhangeni Pride was made up of Mapogo daughters, but maybe I do not know the full story.

Othawa male is born in Othawa pride, and he is the son of Mapogo daughter, she died when he was around 1 yrs old or so..

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I did mean the Othawa Pride, he is pride male of the Mhageni Pride currently. There is a YT video of some interactions between Othawa Male and one of the Mhageni cubs, assumedly sired by the Birminghams, and it is some of the most fascinating video I have seen yet. It shows that there is so much more to these creatures than meets the eye.

By the way, @Tr1x24 , I saw you mentioned earlier about one of your videos on YT, do you have a channel? If so, what channel is it?

Thanks again my friend, for the reply, you are always so helpful, and it is very much appreciated!!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-14-2020, 11:32 PM)BA0701 Wrote: By the way, @Tr1x24 , I saw you mentioned earlier about one of your videos on YT, do you have a channel? If so, what channel is it?

You prob missunderstund something, i dont have yt channel hehe..

Super Moderator

(07-14-2020, 11:38 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 11:32 PM)BA0701 Wrote: By the way, @Tr1x24 , I saw you mentioned earlier about one of your videos on YT, do you have a channel? If so, what channel is it?

You prob missunderstund something, i dont have yt channel hehe..

You said in this other thread here:
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lion-tales?page=5&highlight=lion+tales

"We discuss it a bit on yt"

I must have misunderstood what you were referring to. Apologies for the confusion.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-14-2020, 11:52 PM)BA0701 Wrote: You said in this other thread here:

Yea, but i didnt meant on my yt video/channel hehe.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(07-15-2020, 12:02 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Yea, but i didnt meant on my yt video/channel hehe.
Ok, gotcha. Apologies for the confusion. Cheers my friend!
2 users Like BA0701's post