There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-11-2020, 11:10 PM by Pckts )

I'm surprised to see the Panthera Pardus Fusca so much larger than the Saxicolor

It's a male Fusca compared to a female Saxicolor but still, the sexual dimorphism is quite evident between them.
2 users Like Pckts's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

(07-04-2020, 02:54 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 10:25 AM)tigerluver Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 12:17 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @tigerluver 

The Megalodon fossils being found at the bottom of the river.

https://www.narcity.com/travel/us/fl/tampa/florida-fossil-expeditions-river-tours-let-you-mine-for-megalodon-teeth-and-dino-bones

Could this explain shiny black hue of the Kahayan mandible?

Very well could have similar preservation, nice catch! To my recollection, the Peace river fossils have lots of phosphate that give the fossils a black color. While I don't think there is official peatland in the area the Peace riverbed has been described at "peaty". Organic phosphate is an important part of organic sediments like peat.

Even the Szechuan giant skull was derived from the peatland, but it was stained with the brownish hue instead of the shiny black like those fossils from the bottom of the river.

Maybe the peatlands from the Central China was based on tough soil, not the muddy one from Siberia or at the bottom of the river?

The Szechuan province has mostly the mountainous areas, hence the peatlands over there may be tougher?

In addition to those differences, the temperature may have also influenced the final fossilization. Warm temperatures fasten chemical processes so that could in part explain why southern fossils are more the shade of peat as there was much more mineral exchange by the time the fossil was unearthed.
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 12:10 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Old Jaguar Skull Found.

credits: Brasília é o Bicho

https://www.facebook.com/brasiliaeobicho...46/?type=3

The jaguars were here long before us.

''At the bottom of a chasm in the northwest portion of Distrito Federal (DF) - Brazil, a big cat's skull was found.

The explorers found the skull in an abyss over 60 meters deep located in Morro da Pedreira.

The huge fangs leaves no doubt, it is a legitimate skull of a jaguar.

This is irrefutable proof of the presence of these felines in the region of (DF) and its surroundings and more proof that the jaguar was once the predator that dominated the plateaus and valleys of the ''Quadradinho'' (place/area).

Findings like this only leave us more questions...

How did that skull get to the bottom of the abyss?

How long ago?''

Photo: André Oliveira Rodrigues

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2020, 08:38 AM by Dark Jaguar )

130kg Pantanal male Jaguar skull ( Sossego male )

Investigation of his death.

https://www.radiocacula.com.br/noticias/...amoso-a-ms

By: Mídia Max

Pic taken during the investigation and examination over the skull of the poached big cat.

The 72-year-old medical examiner ( coroner ) Badan Palhares, one of the most renowned experts in Brazil was in Campo Grande on Monday (30) at the invitation of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Zootechnics of UFMS (Federal University of Mato Grosso do Sul). The objective was to find out the cause of death of a jaguar that was part of the Project Onças do Rio Negro which was killed in the region of Aquidauana in the Pantanal of Mato Grosso do Sul.

Palhares made it clear that the idea was not to point out those responsible for the crime but to participate in a college initiative which is to preserve the local fauna.

The work was accompanied by experts from the Institute of Criminalistics who researched the dynamics of the animal's death.

"My presence is more as a collaborator and also to awaken awareness in local authorities of the importance of setting up a sector of expertise for environmental crimes. With this, besides punishing those responsible new cases would be inhibited" said the coroner.

The animal was a male jaguar of approximately five years old. The capture for the implementation of the electronic collar took place in July and for two months there was satellite monitoring and signals in VHF. In September the satellite signals ceased. Two months later a new search was made and through the VHF signal the animal's remains were found in an area of difficult access.

As there were several signs in the skull it was not possible to identify what had really happened and it was then decided to invite the coroner Badan Palhares who promptly accepted.

Resuts:

In the first examination it was already found that the animal had an old lesion in the region of the nostrils. The fatal shot hit the big cat's face in the region below the eye and did not puncture the cranial box. In the surveys made at the site it was concluded that the 130kg male jaguar was shot in one place then he agonized for some time and looked for another place for refuge, where the carcass was found.

The experts of the Institute of Criminalistics found that the calibre of the gun used was higher than 22 and that there was no fragmentation of the projectile. The examination indicates that the shot was fired frontally and from top to bottom.

This the 130kg Pantanal male named Sossego who was unfortunately poached in 2015.

6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Bheem

T97 Ranthambore
4 users Like Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2020, 08:49 AM by Dark Jaguar )

117kg wild Cerrado male jaguar skull killed by another wild Cerrado jaguar.

credits: Tiago Jácomo

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

T Rex Teeth
4 users Like Pckts's post

Vietnam TuPhuongVN Offline
New Join

Hi everybody
I am a new member
very happy to get acquainted with people
this is my collection
I do not recommend hunting for wildlife,

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like TuPhuongVN's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 04:47 PM by Dark Jaguar )

From the: ( Atlas Fotográfico de Anatomia Comparada de VertebradosVolume IV - Sistemas Esquelético e Muscular )

file:///C:/Users/PC/AppData/Local/Temp/LIVRO_AtlasSistemasEsqueleticoMuscular.pdf

Jaguar Skull.

Jaws.

6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(07-31-2015, 12:05 AM)peter Wrote: 1 - OLD WORLD BIG CATS

a - Zoologischer Garten Berlin

The upper skull of a distant ancestor of modern big cats exhibited in the Zoologischer Garten in Berlin. This cat had extremely long and wide upper canines, but they were not thick and prone to breakage. The skull is shorter and narrower than that of a modern adult male lion or tiger:

b - Panthera zdansky

This Pleistocene tiger, one of the (quite distant) ancestors of modern tigers, already had shorter, but thicker (and conical) upper canines. The skull is short and not as wide as that of a modern big cat:

c - China (private collection?)

The skull of this big cat was found in China. It could have belonged to a Late Pleistocene or early Holocene tiger, when large herbivores were everywhere and humans avoided big cats for good reasons. The skull is elevated at the orbits, wide and very robust. The upper canines are extremely robust. An upgraded zdansky, one could say. The photograph was first posted by Grizzly: 

2 - MODERN BIG CATS

a - Panthera leo

This skull, one of the largest I measured, belonged to a wild male lion. It had the longest upper canines I saw (66,00 mm.). They appear to be shortish, but that partly is a result of the length of the upper skull (384,60 mm.). The skull was elevated at the orbit, moderately wide and muscular. Notice the extended maxillary bone (snout). Also notice the position of the upper canines and the angle:  

b - Panthera tigris altaica

This is the skull of a poached wild male Amur tiger. Skulls of wild male Amur tigers, for greatest total length (a trifle shorter) and zygomatic width (a tad wider), compare to those of wild male lions. Most wild male lions have a longer snout and a flatter profile (upper skull). The upper canines of Amur tigers are unsurpassed for length and width at the insertion of the upper jaw. Notice the angle is different as well:  

This is the skull of a captive adult male Amur tiger:

c - Panthera tigris tigris (the Indian or Bengal tiger)

This is the skull of a large wild male Nepal tiger (the Sauraha tiger). When darted, he entered a pool and accidentally drowned. Compare the skull to the one of the wild male Amur tiger poached (see above). Although they are shorter, nearly all skulls of Indian tigers I measured were heavier than those of Amur tigers (nearly all of them captive animals). The reason is not size, but bone density. Same in wild animals in that wild Amurs are a bit longer, but not as heavy:

d - Panthera tigris sondaica (the Javan tiger)

This skull is in the Wiesbaden Museum and belonged to an adult wild male Java tiger. Although undamaged, the skull was acquired before 1836 (...) in Java. Java skulls usually are vaulted (profile), whereas the mandibula often is concave. Although short compared to Indian tigers, the skulls are anything but feeble. Notice the short and low sagittal crest. This is a result of skull size (greatest total length). Uppercaninewise, Javan tigers often exceed those of wild male lions. Of all skulls I saw, I like those of Javan tigers best:

@peter
Incredible skulls and fangs of them all, do you have pictures with measurements of upper fangs of Sumatran and Bengal Tigers?
1 user Likes epaiva's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

(08-24-2020, 07:18 PM)epaiva Wrote:

The upper skull of a distant ancestor of modern big cats exhibited in the Zoologischer Garten in Berlin. This cat had extremely long and wide upper canines, but they were not thick and prone to breakage. The skull is shorter and narrower than that of a modern adult male lion or tiger:

b - Panthera zdansky

This Pleistocene tiger, one of the (quite distant) ancestors of modern tigers, already had shorter, but thicker (and conical) upper canines. The skull is short and not as wide as that of a modern big cat:

The skull of this big cat was found in China. It could have belonged to a Late Pleistocene or early Holocene tiger, when large herbivores were everywhere and humans avoided big cats for good reasons. The skull is elevated at the orbits, wide and very robust. The upper canines are extremely robust. An upgraded zdansky, one could say. The photograph was first posted by Grizzly: 

2 - MODERN BIG CATS

a - Panthera leo

This skull, one of the largest I measured, belonged to a wild male lion. It had the longest upper canines I saw (66,00 mm.). They appear to be shortish, but that partly is a result of the length of the upper skull (384,60 mm.). The skull was elevated at the orbit, moderately wide and muscular. Notice the extended maxillary bone (snout). Also notice the position of the upper canines and the angle:  

This is the skull of a poached wild male Amur tiger. Skulls of wild male Amur tigers, for greatest total length (a trifle shorter) and zygomatic width (a tad wider), compare to those of wild male lions. Most wild male lions have a longer snout and a flatter profile (upper skull). The upper canines of Amur tigers are unsurpassed for length and width at the insertion of the upper jaw. Notice the angle is different as well:  

This is the skull of a large wild male Nepal tiger (the Sauraha tiger). When darted, he entered a pool and accidentally drowned. Compare the skull to the one of the wild male Amur tiger poached (see above). Although they are shorter, nearly all skulls of Indian tigers I measured were heavier than those of Amur tigers (nearly all of them captive animals). The reason is not size, but bone density. Same in wild animals in that wild Amurs are a bit longer, but not as heavy:

This skull is in the Wiesbaden Museum and belonged to an adult wild male Java tiger. Although undamaged, the skull was acquired before 1836 (...) in Java. Java skulls usually are vaulted (profile), whereas the mandibula often is concave. Although short compared to Indian tigers, the skulls are anything but feeble. Notice the short and low sagittal crest. This is a result of skull size (greatest total length). Uppercaninewise, Javan tigers often exceed those of wild male lions. Of all skulls I saw, I like those of Javan tigers best:

@peter
Incredible skulls and fangs of them all, do you have pictures with measurements of upper fangs of Sumatran and Bengal Tigers?

EPAIVA

I've photographs and measurements of every skull I measured. When ready (in a few months), I'll post everything I have in the tiger extinction thread. 

My aim is to visit a few institutions and museums in Russia, India and China in the near future. The reason is it's difficult to find skulls of wild Amur, Chinese and Indian tigers in European museums.

When you find reliable information about skulls of wild tigers, please let me know.
2 users Like peter's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(08-25-2020, 05:25 PM)peter Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 07:18 PM)epaiva Wrote:

b - Panthera zdansky

2 - MODERN BIG CATS

a - Panthera leo

@peter

EPAIVA

I've photographs and measurements of every skull I measured. When ready (in a few months), I'll post everything I have in the tiger extinction thread. 

My aim is to visit a few institutions and museums in Russia, India and China in the near future. The reason is it's difficult to find skulls of wild Amur, Chinese and Indian tigers in European museums.

When you find reliable information about skulls of wild tigers, please let me know.
@peter
Very good I will be waiting for your valuable information
2 users Like epaiva's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

What is the average and maximum weight for the skulls of the big cats?

Jaguar Enthusiast

LEFT: Adult Pantanal male jaguar skull - RIGHT: Adult Cerrado male jaguar skull.

credits: IOP

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post