There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Puma skull from Estado Apure, Venezuelan llanos
Total length of skull 220,0 mm
Wide of skull 139,1 mm
Length of upper fangs 29,7 - 30,1 mm
Length of lower fangs 26,3 - 26,8 mm

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like epaiva's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

tiger canines

6 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Black Caiman Skull

credits: Richard Rasmussen

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

loona Offline
New Join

Hello to everybody,

I am new to this forum and hope anybody here can help me identify those teeth and claw.
The only information I have is that they were all bought in East Africa (Kenya or Tanzania) in the 70s.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

Thank you and have a nice day,

Loona
2 users Like loona's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Wild Kaziranga Waterbuffalo 

4 users Like Pckts's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-27-2021, 03:39 PM)loona Wrote: Hello to everybody,

I am new to this forum and hope anybody here can help me identify those teeth and claw.
The only information I have is that they were all bought in East Africa (Kenya or Tanzania) in the 70s.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

Thank you and have a nice day,

Loona

#4 looks like some camel tooth, whereas the claw looks unidentifiable for now.

Other teeth could be made of resin, but I am not very certain.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Panthera Onça Skull

credits: Angélica Benitez

Jaguar Enthusiast

Los espíritus-jaguares: cráneos-trofeos y chamanismo entre los mojos (siglo XVII)*

Two skull-trophies preserved by a Yurakaré tribe man (Alto-Sécure)

''If the skulls of prey are exposed to facilitate hunting and function as a magnet, then it is perfectly understandable that skulls of predators - such as the jaguar - could have had the reverse virtue, because if you want animals to eat, you do not want a jaguar come to eat, either in the form of a beast or in a spiritual form.

The conservation of the jaguar skull for this purpose is also attested in the region. The Yurakarés still put it into practice, although there has never been mentioned in their ethnography, both ancient and contemporary, a complex of trophies of the same order as in the case of the mojos. In the early 2000s, I was in the upper Sécure river where a man kept discreetly in his house, on a shelf, two skulls of jaguars that he had killed (fig. 1). Placed in this place to prevent children from poking at them, they had undergone a specific treatment to neutralize their predatory power. They were coiled with a wire that prevented them from opening their mouths, a device my host compared to a muzzle. He also explained to me that their "owners" (a term equivalent to "soul") were still there and that now they served to drive away from his house, isolated from the town, jaguars that might have attacked his dogs or the pigs he raised. The "owners" communicated with the flesh and blood jaguars requesting that they "do not disturb" and that they go hunting elsewhere. I will add that the son of this man gave me as a friendship a jaguar skull that he kept (without wire), affirming that with it he would be able to "walk in peace." He pointed out that it was going to be the case at least as long as the fangs were not split in half which would mean that the owner was gone. "You have to take care of him" he said with a smile full of mischief...

The trophy skulls preserved by the mojos were active on the record of war and protection and made to last; they were not as ephemeral as other trophy heads such as those of the Jivaros or the Mundurukús. It is important to emphasize the fact that we are, among the mojos, in front of trophies of bones. This detail is not trivial, since they can thus fulfill a long-term social function like all the conserved vestiges of this matter (Chaumeil, 1997). These are human and animal remains that, when ritually elaborated, acquire, so to speak, a new life: their production as a trophy is substituted for the mourning process that they would have received from their relatives. The souls of enemies of humans or jaguars could thus become "allied" with their killers: reinforcements against their ex-relatives or guards doing work of dissuasion with their ex-congeners, they converted to the cause of their owners.''

Fig. 1

© Vincent Hirtzel, 2000

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Pantanal Jaguar Skull.

photographs by John Devries

''Jaguar skull. Profile view of the skull of a jaguar (Panthera onca) from the Pantanal, Brazil, showing its powerful jaws and large teeth. The jaguar (Panthera onca) is the third largest of the big cats, after the lion and tiger.''

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(04-02-2021, 05:16 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Pantanal Jaguar Skull.

photographs by John Devries

''Jaguar skull. Profile view of the skull of a jaguar (Panthera onca) from the Pantanal, Brazil, showing its powerful jaws and large teeth. The jaguar (Panthera onca) is the third largest of the big cats, after the lion and tiger.''

The skulls of jaguars are something else, they remind of the skulls seeing in extinct macropredators known for the powerful bites such as Dinocrocuta sp. and the bear-dogs and bone-crushing dogs: Amphicyion sp. and Borophagus sp. (in fact even the body builds of jaguars share similarities with the body builds of amphicyonids albeit jaguar skulls are shorter), they all have really wide zygomatic arches with pronounced sagittal crests and concave foreheads, and thick stout teeth designed to withstand all that biting pressure. The powerful dentition can be appreciated perfectly with this Amazonian specimen that was poached:

By ACEAA- Conservación Amazónica

By comparisson: 

Dinocrocuta gigantea

Borophagus secundus (bone-crushing dog)

Dinocrocuta rendition vs 148 kg Lopez:

4 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Powerful Black Caiman Skull

Anton Sorokin

''The skull of a huge Black Caiman (Melanosuchus niger) is on display at a small store in Amazonian Colombia.''

Poland szymszaszka Offline
New Join

Your collections are amazing! Once upon a time, I also had a pretty cool collection, my grandfather infected me with it. Unfortunately, a devour broke out in our old house and I couldn't save the box with all the fangs. It was a terrible pain for me. I started collecting new ones and this time I have a treasure chest buried in my garden
1 user Likes szymszaszka's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Jaguar Skeleton

credits: CENAP/ICMBio

Jaguar Enthusiast

Black Caiman Skull

Its really impressive how thick Black Caimans Skulls are.

Panthera Offline

Tiger mandible fossil from Chochen Fauna, Tainan, Taiwan, 0.96Ma-0.46Ma.

fossil site map link: Tainan, Taiwan

4 users Like Panthera's post