There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Bolivia drumiz Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 12:48 PM by sanjay Edit Reason: corrected the formating )

(09-22-2016, 07:58 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Bengal tiger

*This image is copyright of its original author

These four canines come from the same skull? The upper ones look different from each other
1 user Likes drumiz's post

Bolivia drumiz Offline

(02-25-2018, 12:18 AM)Betty Can you tell if the different color and texture at the gumline of this canine is due to a \repair' done with den tist' resine? Wrote: African lion

Bolivia drumiz Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 10:15 AM by Rishi )

(02-25-2018, 12:18 AM)Betty Wrote: African lion

Can you tell if the different color and texture at the gumline of this canine is due to a repair with resine?

Bolivia drumiz Offline

(03-10-2018, 03:43 PM)Betty Wrote: Tiger

https://www.flickr.com/photos/enidwhitetrash/3354152813/in/photostream/

Thanks for this very useful photo. Do you know if the dewclaw (1st finger\'s claw, low and front in the picture) is always the largest in tigers? (And in other large cats?) And how much larger than the rest could it be? In the picture looks much larger, but it may be due to deformation of the wide lens.

Bolivia drumiz Offline

(07-21-2019, 11:06 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 05:32 PM)s3iji Wrote: Hi all, I just got a tiger canine form a Malaysian friend. I didn't bought it, it's just a present for me. But I don't know if it's real or counterfeit one. Could someone help me to determine it? Thank you...

Counterfeit product, since the coloration and texture look unnaturally polished, and it should be made of resin.
How can you tell if a tooth you have in your hand is a real enamel + dentin biological product and not a resin made fake? Can you burn, drill, abrade or corrode the piece somehow to confirm its nature? Please...

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(09-23-2019, 12:17 AM)drumiz Wrote:
(01-21-2016, 10:35 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: A very dense Jaguar upper fang.

I am new at this of teeth and claws, but I have started to look at museum\'s specimens; Isn't this a lower right canine?

Maybe you are right, the shorter crown is likely a lower canine.

Canine Expert
Moderators

(09-23-2019, 01:27 AM)drumiz Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 07:58 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Bengal tiger

These four canines come from the same skull?  The upper ones look different from each other

Most likely they don't belong to the same skull.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Bolivia drumiz Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 10:16 AM by Rishi )

(08-09-2016, 10:52 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:  
According to that, I believe that picture 1 shows  (from top to bottom): 
1 Upper Left C in lingual view, because in this side the crown surface is more or less flat, and clearly shows two ridges running from the gumline almost to the tip
2 Lower Left C in labial view, in this side of the crown the surface is curved, without ridges, but sometimes with grooves 
3 Lower Right C in labial view, like the previous one,
and 4 Upper Right C in lingual view, like in 1. 

Then, I thought picture 2 showed the same four canines but flipped to show the other side...  but no.  Now it seems to me they are:

1 Upper Left C in labial view; curved crown surface, no ridges, one slight groove, gumline (enamel-dentin line) more or less straight and almost perpendicular to the tooth axis
2 Lower Right C in labial view; curved surface, no ridges, small groove, gumline skewed from tooth axis
3 Lower Left C in labial view, like in 2
4 Upper Rigth C in labial view, like in 1

No Lower Canine was shown in lingual=inner view 

My questions are: 
Do you think it is the same set of fangs in the two pictures?  In picture 1 they seem much wider (fatter?) than in picture 2, but this may be due just to the different framing angle of the picture. Or jaguar fangs may show such an individual difference?  May you or Betty confirm that? 
How long are the cigarettes (in China) ?, may be 83 mm?
Do you know if it is possible to estimate the age class of a jaguar according to the condition of the root (hollow/solid, wide/narrow)?, by looking with X rays?, or by finding some ratio between weight and length? 

Thanks for your patience!   Jaguar

I am learning about jaguar fangs, and these two pictures were great to practice (and to show me that I was wrong?).  I assumed the two pictures showed a full set of canines (\'C') from the same individual cat, upper ones at the sides of each group, and lower ones at the center next to the cigarette. Also, I think (thought?) it is possible to say if the picture shows the lingual = inner face of the tooth, or the labial = outer side of the tooth.

Canine Expert
Moderators

I don't think these are the same fangs in the two pictures.

Obviously, the fangs from first picture are more robust.

The fangs with rough texture are usually solid inside, whereas those smoother ones without being polished should be subadult specimens.

BTW, the largest jaguar fang should measure about 10 cm.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Hungary Smerjeevski Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2019, 07:43 AM by sanjay Edit Reason: corrected the formating )

Hello Jonny Rex,

my name is Sergei, I have photographed and handled this particular tiger skull. Indeed it is particularly wide. It is also asymmetrical. It comes from a captive animal, the zygomatic arches are thick, the sagittal crest droops/slopes backwards and the occipitum is more poorly developed than in wild specimens.
The specimen is likely a hybrid siberian bengal like most captive tigers seen in zoos.

Sergei.

http://skullbase.info/skulls/mammals/lion.php

Pictures above showing a skull of an average wild adult male lion from Tanzania.

Pictures below showing a skull of a captive adult male tiger which is also an average-sized skull, but not sure which specimen of tiger.

http://skullbase.info/skulls/mammals/tiger.php

What amazes me is the width of the tiger skull in relation to its length. The lion skull is longer than the tiger skull, but the tiger skull is much wider than the lion skull. Imagine if there are 16-inches tiger skulls out there with similar skull configuration like this tiger skull, its width must be great.
1 user Likes Smerjeevski's post

India Hello Offline

(09-30-2017, 09:37 AM)johnny rex Wrote: Here are some pictures of 15+ and 16 inches long Tiger skulls.

Any thoughts?

Is he a Siberian?

India Hello Offline

Here is a male from Blackpool zoo with short muzzle (bull dog like) but robust and large head.He was around 550 pounds.His dad was 600 pounds

Here is another with similar head structure of male named Toma from Leipzig zoo

2 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 04:01 PM by Hello )

Unusually wide head,in this case maybe feline acromegaly.

1 user Likes Hello's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 04:07 PM by Hello )

(11-22-2018, 11:58 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 09:25 PM)tigerluver Wrote: These exceptional skulls may well be a case of feline acromegaly and I’m quite interested in the disease. Are there any photos of the post cranial remains or the living specimen of skulls such as Lionzilla?

Altai and the Duisburg specimen clearly have large heads for their bodies. To diagnose acromegaly we’d need a few more things such as paw growth and oragnomegaly.

About Altai's skull, I still have doubt about the size estimation of its skull using pictures because the scale is below the skull. It will be accurate if the scale is on top of the skull though.The only way to determine the real size of the skull is to measure it ourselves or contacting the current owner of the skull.

IMO,its common among kruger type lion despite acromegaly.Long muzzle but narrow,I have noted these type of skull among Amurs too.
here is a Typical Kruger

here is a long muzzled Amur

2 users Like Hello's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(10-25-2019, 03:37 PM)Hello Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 09:37 AM)johnny rex Wrote: Here are some pictures of 15+ and 16 inches long Tiger skulls.

Any thoughts?

Is he a Siberian?

Not sure, but it looks like the owner of the skull could be a hybrid tiger or a Bengal judging by its crest.