There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-28-2020, 02:03 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 01:35 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 12:57 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Recent sighting from yesterday of Lolparpit
Information by: Jackie Downey: Here is a better shot of poor Lolparpit from yesterday. 
Olbanoti may be in trouble as some Moniko breakaways are moving in on the Enkoyani girls!!
Image by: Jackie Downey - Maasai Mara,26/10/2020.

*This image is copyright of its original author

That is heartbreaking to look at. Wow! But, like the legend he is, he's hanging tough.
I couldn't be more agree. In my personal feeling is really sad see Lolparpit on this shape as well. However he don't give up! A true spirit of a old warrior... Him will demise sooner or later but when ourself loves so much to something is especially is hard to accept it... Probably he is suffering this fate by his injuries on his legs caused by hyenas and not especially by his old age... Nonetheless he is part of the nature and being honest Lolparpit among others are really fortunate to born in Maasai mara where the lions are treated by vets on any situation. 
meanwhile are  different rules in KNP and Greater Kruger.

My friend, you are correct. It is very sad that it is the animals who are responsible for bringing the money to that region surrounding Kruger, and they do not provide them with veterinary care. Yet, I understand both sides of the debate, as you want to leave nature to do what nature does, without our interference. It is a tough situation. I believe the animals in most of Sabi Sands receive some level of vet care as well, if I'm not mistaken. Or do they fall under the same rules that apply to Kruger?
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-28-2020, 05:52 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 02:03 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 01:35 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 12:57 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Recent sighting from yesterday of Lolparpit
Information by: Jackie Downey: Here is a better shot of poor Lolparpit from yesterday. 
Olbanoti may be in trouble as some Moniko breakaways are moving in on the Enkoyani girls!!
Image by: Jackie Downey - Maasai Mara,26/10/2020.

That is heartbreaking to look at. Wow! But, like the legend he is, he's hanging tough.
I couldn't be more agree. In my personal feeling is really sad see Lolparpit on this shape as well. However he don't give up! A true spirit of a old warrior... Him will demise sooner or later but when ourself loves so much to something is especially is hard to accept it... Probably he is suffering this fate by his injuries on his legs caused by hyenas and not especially by his old age... Nonetheless he is part of the nature and being honest Lolparpit among others are really fortunate to born in Maasai mara where the lions are treated by vets on any situation. 
meanwhile are  different rules in KNP and Greater Kruger.

My friend, you are correct. It is very sad that it is the animals who are responsible for bringing the money to that region surrounding Kruger, and they do not provide them with veterinary care. Yet, I understand both sides of the debate, as you want to leave nature to do what nature does, without our interference. It is a tough situation. I believe the animals in most of Sabi Sands receive some level of vet care as well, if I'm not mistaken. Or do they fall under the same rules that apply to Kruger?
Sabi Sands as Timbavati and Klaserie (Greater Kruger National Park) fall under the rules of the Kruger. They can't interference on the wildlife if that wasn't caused by humans ... Really sad at some points because if they will helps their lions on Sabi Sands also helps on the bloodline and increases the lions on the area from that way,The tourist will show an interest on their reserve and that means more $ to help their animals on the park. However that 's can harm hurts to the old male lions as Hairy Belly or aging lions as the Gowrie males.
This is just my humble opinion
2 users Like Timbavati's post

BigLion39 Offline

Here's a video of Lolparpit and Olbarnoti back in 2018.  (Its from fb so maybe someone can help post this for me? Please!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/29147758...533676673/
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Super Moderator

(10-29-2020, 03:59 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Here's a video of Lolparpit and Olbarnoti back in 2018.  (Its from fb so maybe someone can help post this for me? Please!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/29147758...533676673/

@BigLion39 my friend, that is from a private group, so it can't be shared here. If they can maybe set the video to public, or if the video exists somewhere else, we can easily get it shared for you.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

BA0701 my friend thank you. I will see if I can get it off of private and check back.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Mohawk4 Offline

Sala males(Orkitok & Osapuk-Olepolos wasnt with them) vs Lolparpit
Video from last year

Credits Natures Wonderland Safaris
3 users Like Mohawk4's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-29-2020, 01:12 PM)Mohawk4 Wrote: Sala males(Orkitok & Osapuk-Olepolos wasnt with them) vs Lolparpit
Video from last year

Those Sala Boys are true warriors , which prides they control atm?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(10-29-2020, 06:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 01:12 PM)Mohawk4 Wrote: Sala males(Orkitok & Osapuk-Olepolos wasnt with them) vs Lolparpit
Video from last year

Agreed, Lolparpit survived his encounter, his son, Baba-Yao wasn't as lucky. The Baba-Yao fight was particularly hard to watch. He did not die on the spot, but apparently had his leg broken in the fight, and a few days later he disappeared and was not seen again, so the speculation is that he died as a result of his wounds.

Cath2020 Offline

(10-29-2020, 06:46 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
Video from last year

Agreed, Lolparpit survived his encounter, his son, Baba-Yao wasn't as lucky. The Baba-Yao fight was particularly hard to watch. He did not die on the spot, but apparently had his leg broken in the fight, and a few days later he disappeared and was not seen again, so the speculation is that he died as a result of his wounds.

Isn't this the lion that killed a young male with a bite to the spine, paralyzing him?  So, it seems he got caught as well and other lions killed him, too.  It appears that the most aggressive lions eventually also get the most violent endings....sooner or later.   Unfortunately, what happened to Baba Yao doesn't surprise me....  I was slightly taken aback that it happened so soon after he killed that young male in a pride take-over.    I couldn't watch the whole clip.   

Do you know how old that young male was?  I guess he was too young to run away and fend for himself.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Super Moderator

(10-29-2020, 07:59 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 06:46 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
Video from last year

Isn't this the lion that killed a young male with a bite to the spine, paralyzing him?  So, it seems he got caught as well and other lions killed him, too.  It appears that the most aggressive lions eventually also get the most violent endings....sooner or later.   Unfortunately, what happened to Baba Yao doesn't surprise me....  I was slightly taken aback that it happened so soon after he killed that young male in a pride take-over.    I couldn't watch the whole clip.   

Do you know how old that young male was?  I guess he was too young to run away and fend for himself.

I believe you are correct, that Baba-Yao paralyzed that young male, resulting in his being put to sleep, if I remember the story Rob the Ranger told about the incident. I am not aware of the exact age of that young male, but in the video of the attack he appears to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-2.5 years, but was def too young to srike out on his nomadic journey. That was another difficult to watch video, as that young male did absolutely nothing to provoke the attack, he even remained quite some distance away from the kill as Baba-Yao fed, lying down the entire time.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 08:28 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-29-2020, 07:59 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Isn't this the lion that killed a young male with a bite to the spine, paralyzing him?  So, it seems he got caught as well and other lions killed him, too.  It appears that the most aggressive lions eventually also get the most violent endings....sooner or later.   Unfortunately, what happened to Baba Yao doesn't surprise me....  I was slightly taken aback that it happened so soon after he killed that young male in a pride take-over.    I couldn't watch the whole clip.   

Pretty much all male lions do that what Baba Yao did.. Just his was filmed on camera..Baba Yao did nothing wrong in lion world..

That male wasnt his offspring, and he didn't want to run away like his other brothers, so Baba Yao did pretty much what every lion would in that situation..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

ScarFace!

Scar earned his moniker in 2012 when he lost his right eyelid while making a territory grab with his three brothers Hunter, Sikio, and Morani. They won the Marsh Pride females, defeating the lesser males they killed or sent packing.
Images by: Deepak Shankar Photography

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 08:48 AM by Cath2020 )

(10-29-2020, 08:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 07:59 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Isn't this the lion that killed a young male with a bite to the spine, paralyzing him?  So, it seems he got caught as well and other lions killed him, too.  It appears that the most aggressive lions eventually also get the most violent endings....sooner or later.   Unfortunately, what happened to Baba Yao doesn't surprise me....  I was slightly taken aback that it happened so soon after he killed that young male in a pride take-over.    I couldn't watch the whole clip.   

Pretty much all male lions do that what Baba Yao did.. Just his was filmed on camera..Baba Yao did nothing wrong in lion world..

That male wasnt his offspring, and he didn't want to run away like his other brothers, so Baba Yao did pretty much what every lion would in that situation..

Baba Yao, what a bad lion!  He was an a%shole lion!  Don't get me started.  

Hmm, yea right, what every lion would do.... literally every lion.  Even those that accept sub-adults feeding nearby from other prides or wandering nomads; they all bite these males in the spine, paralyzing them for life, everyone....  

Got ya

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-30-2020, 08:29 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Baba Yao, what a bad lion!  He was an a%shole lion!  Don't get me started.  

Hmm, yea right, what every lion would do.... literally every lion.  Even those that accept sub-adults feeding nearby from other prides or wandering nomads; they all bite these males in the spine, paralyzing them for life, everyone....  

Got ya

I said "pretty much every lion" in that situation, yes, thats correct, lions in takeovers kill rival males offspring. 

(10-30-2020, 08:29 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Even those that accept sub-adults feeding nearby from other prides or wandering nomads

Completely different situations then this one. 

Watch some takeovers of Mapogos, Majingilanes, Matimbas, Selatis, BBoys etc. and name me 1 cub/subadult who those coalitions "accepted" and didnt kill/chase..

And dont tell me about N. Avocas with Nkuhumas and S. Matimbas with Othawas, those where not takeovers, because those prides where abandoned/without dominant males.. In those situation new males often accept those cubs/subadults..

Cath2020 Offline

(10-30-2020, 04:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 08:29 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Baba Yao, what a bad lion!  He was an a%shole lion!  Don't get me started.  

Got ya

I said "pretty much every lion" in that situation, yes, thats correct, lions in takeovers kill rival males offspring. 

(10-30-2020, 08:29 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Even those that accept sub-adults feeding nearby from other prides or wandering nomads

Completely different situations then this one. 

Watch some takeovers of Mapogos, Majingilanes, Matimbas, Selatis, BBoys etc. and name me 1 cub/subadult who those coalitions "accepted" and didnt kill/chase..

And dont tell me about N. Avocas with Nkuhumas and S. Matimbas with Othawas, those where not takeovers, because those prides where abandoned/without dominant males.. In those situation new males often accept those cubs/subadults..

"Pretty much all male lions do that what Baba Yao did.. Just his was filmed on camera..Baba Yao did nothing wrong in lion world..

That male wasnt his offspring, and he didn't want to run away like his other brothers, so Baba Yao did pretty much what every lion would in that situation.."

I guess you interpret your own thoughts and what you want to understand in your way despite what I wrote.  Where did I state that he did anything "wrong" as a lion?  Are you actually reading the posts or just going through the motions?  I wrote that the aggressive ones such as him, the ones that kill by paralyzing with a bite to the spine; it's particularly aggressive and the young lion wasn't provoking him.... but yes, it's a take-over and he didn't run.  (Plenty of violent take-overs also don't necessarily end up with a young lion having a severed spine with dragging of the hindquarters) There's a saying that those who rule by the sword are the first to most likely die by it.  We see this with other super aggressive lions that we all know about.  Some are so confident that they take to patrolling alone and pay the price.   Baba Yao also died shortly after this incident, underscoring again my point.  But, he lived by his rules and to the best of his ability as a lion driven by territorial instinct.   

Well, pretty much ALL lions means just what you wrote, all lions, with very few exceptions.  You also did not have to repeat what you wrote once again as it was clear the first time.

2 users Like Cath2020's post