There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-28-2020, 09:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 08:36 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

A day to remember filming Big Cat Tales featuring the legends Scarface and Morani of the 4 Musketeers feasting on a hippo and warring with the crocs down near Paradise and Mara River
Photo credit:Jonathan & Angela Scott
Maasai Mara-11.28.20,-

@"TinoArmando" this image isn't recent is it? I can see SF's spine some, but he doesn't look in dire straights, like he does in the images @BigLion39 posted.

@BA0701 This is an old image as the caption of the image says (A day to remember filming Big Cat Tales featuring the legends Scarface and Morani
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-28-2020, 09:37 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

A day to remember filming Big Cat Tales featuring the legends Scarface and Morani of the 4 Musketeers feasting on a hippo and warring with the crocs down near Paradise and Mara River
Maasai Mara-11.28.20,-

@"TinoArmando" this image isn't recent is it? I can see SF's spine some, but he doesn't look in dire straights, like he does in the images @BigLion39 posted.

@BA0701 This is an old image as the caption of the image says (A day to remember filming Big Cat Tales featuring the legends Scarface and Morani

I didn't see the show, so the scene did not mean anything to me. I took it to mean exactly that, just trying to verify that assumption was correct. Thank you my friend!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-28-2020, 09:40 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 09:37 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Maasai Mara-11.28.20,-

I didn't see the show, so the scene did not mean anything to me. I took it to mean exactly that, just trying to verify that assumption was correct. Thank you my friend!

Anytime my friend. To be honest,I also didn't see the show. But as Jonathan and Angela have described with these words at this picture. I was believe that might be an old sightings. After all in this image they look very well feed all the otherwise to the recent sightings of them
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

Has anyone heard anything new on Fang, after that incredible interaction we all got to witness with him and Olalashe? The last I heard of him, was the video from the following day,, which was also posted here, and the same narrator said he believes that they had accepted Fang, but I have not heard anything further since then. Just wondering if anyone had seen or heard an update on that situation. If Fang was able to get himself accepted into a pride by the currently dominant males, especially in the manner that he was attempting to do just that, it would be one of the most fascinating things I have seen with these amazing creatures yet.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

I'd like to know as well BA0701. Last I heard was Fang was accepted but he left with one of the lioness and that he would have trouble again from Olalashe and Kijana when he came back. Awesome turn of events here and I'm keeping an eye out of what happens next. Hopefully we get an update!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Mohawk4 Offline

No info for Fang at the moment

Olerai & Olekiti

Credits Yaron Schmid

Jesse the bad boy of Mara

Credits Aarav shah
6 users Like Mohawk4's post

Super Moderator

Thank you @Mohawk4 the update was very much appreciated.

@BigLion39 , indeed my friend, I had heard the same thing. Such an incredible situation, I really hope we hear the whole story, and how it ends.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Secret Death of Short-Tail

One of the best looking and strongest Male Lions of the Maasai Mara vanished without trace. He went missing beginning of September this year and has never been seen again. But what happened to Short-Tail?
Short-Tail and his partner Fang, known as the Kichwa Males, were seen in the Musiara Marsh in August this year, quite obviously being interested in taking over the Marsh Pride. Their Pride Males had left them for good already beginning of 2020 and since then this Pride is up for grips. There was no serious competition for Short-Tail & Fang with only two of their 3-3.5 years old sons were sneaking around as well as a few Nomads like Splitnose or Longface, none of them being strong enough to challenge Short-Tail. For some odd reason Short-Tail left his partner Fang alone and crossed back onto the Kichwa Plains, the territory of the Kichwa Males, and he joined members of the River Pride. Then he vanished for unknown reasons.
There was no report about new Male Lions invading the territory of the Kichwa Males, no report about a takeover of the River Pride. Owino Pride Male Olalashe and his young stepson had started courting members of the Oloololo Pride, but these 2 would have never challenged Short-Tail. Over a month after Short-Tail went missing there was a rumour that he had been killed by a Buffalo. Well, there was no information about the death of a Male Lion in the Mara Triangle Monthly Report for September and none of the Guides had heard about this story. I don’t think Short Tail has been killed by a Buffalo. And I also don’t think he moved further south without Fang to take over another Pride in the Triangle and got into conflict with other Males. It is not unusual during the low-season that herders come down to the Kichwa Plains to graze their cattle and after the Corona-Lookdown tourism never catched-up this year. There is a fair chance that the Mara has lost another lion through human error, either to herders or to poachers.
Short-Tail & Fang were most likely born into the Moniko Pride in the OMC in 2010, so Short-Tail was only around 10 years old. These 2 along with a 3rd Male took over the Oloololo Pride in the course of 2015, the Marsh Breakaway Pride end of 2016 and the River Pride end of 2017. The Kichwa Males did a great job as Pride Males defending their territory for 5 years against countless intruders & trespassers, they sired many cubs and successfully protected them, at least 16 made it to independence. The 3rd Male of the Coalition vanished in the first half of 2018 for unknown reasons, now Short-Tail is gone. The era of the Kichwa Males is over with Fang being the now nomadic survivor of the Coalition.
Over the last 4 years it was the sound of the territorial roars of Short-Tail & Fang that sent me to sleep in my tent at Little Governors Camp, located at the edge of the Kichwa Plains. Sometimes they were just a few hundred meters away when they started their patrolling. I was hoping they would take over the Marsh Pride. Sadly this didn’t happen.
I will miss these Males!
Photo credits: Peter Rettig

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-01-2020, 08:32 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Secret Death of Short-Tail

One of the best looking and strongest Male Lions of the Maasai Mara vanished without trace. He went missing beginning of September this year and has never been seen again. But what happened to Short-Tail?
Short-Tail and his partner Fang, known as the Kichwa Males, were seen in the Musiara Marsh in August this year, quite obviously being interested in taking over the Marsh Pride. Their Pride Males had left them for good already beginning of 2020 and since then this Pride is up for grips. There was no serious competition for Short-Tail & Fang with only two of their 3-3.5 years old sons were sneaking around as well as a few Nomads like Splitnose or Longface, none of them being strong enough to challenge Short-Tail. For some odd reason Short-Tail left his partner Fang alone and crossed back onto the Kichwa Plains, the territory of the Kichwa Males, and he joined members of the River Pride. Then he vanished for unknown reasons.

There was no report about new Male Lions invading the territory of the Kichwa Males, no report about a takeover of the River Pride. Owino Pride Male Olalashe and his young stepson had started courting members of the Oloololo Pride, but these 2 would have never challenged Short-Tail. Over a month after Short-Tail went missing there was a rumour that he had been killed by a Buffalo. Well, there was no information about the death of a Male Lion in the Mara Triangle Monthly Report for September and none of the Guides had heard about this story. I don’t think Short Tail has been killed by a Buffalo. And I also don’t think he moved further south without Fang to take over another Pride in the Triangle and got into conflict with other Males. It is not unusual during the low-season that herders come down to the Kichwa Plains to graze their cattle and after the Corona-Lookdown tourism never catched-up this year. There is a fair chance that the Mara has lost another lion through human error, either to herders or to poachers.
Short-Tail & Fang were most likely born into the Moniko Pride in the OMC in 2010, so Short-Tail was only around 10 years old. These 2 along with a 3rd Male took over the Oloololo Pride in the course of 2015, the Marsh Breakaway Pride end of 2016 and the River Pride end of 2017. The Kichwa Males did a great job as Pride Males defending their territory for 5 years against countless intruders & trespassers, they sired many cubs and successfully protected them, at least 16 made it to independence. The 3rd Male of the Coalition vanished in the first half of 2018 for unknown reasons, now Short-Tail is gone. The era of the Kichwa Males is over with Fang being the now nomadic survivor of the Coalition.
Over the last 4 years it was the sound of the territorial roars of Short-Tail & Fang that sent me to sleep in my tent at Little Governors Camp, located at the edge of the Kichwa Plains. Sometimes they were just a few hundred meters away when they started their patrolling. I was hoping they would take over the Marsh Pride. Sadly this didn’t happen.
I will miss these Males!
Photo credits: Peter Rettig

Those herders and stock owners are biggest killers of Mara lions.. More lions lost life to them then to poachers or from other lions..

Idk why Mara just dont fence that area??
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Some good recent photos of Sikio,1/3 Musketeers males 
Image credit: Andrew Y. Liu
Maasai Mara

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Venezuela titose Offline

"Bob marley or Splitnose with a Queen"
"This pair of mating lions took a brief respite from their lovemaking to bring down a wildebeest.  They were enjoying a snack before they returned to the task at hand but as  they began to eat, another male lion began to converge upon the scene.  The female growled to little effect as the marauder continued to approach their kill.  But then the male bolted upright and a staring match ensued.  This impressive male just continue to stare at the hungry interloper, who was finally cowed by this very large male and he turned and stalked off obviously deciding the caution was the better part of valor." 
Masai Mara, Kenya,
Taken in 2017
By:  Jeffrey Sink

6 users Like titose's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Olekiti the King of Offbeat pride together with his partner Olerai who just came back this last Sunday with a few injuries including an open wound after being away from the pride for a week.
Yesterday evening five young but no so young nomadic males were spotted around the Offbeat pride territory making us understand why the Offbeat pride has been in hiding.
We are waiting to see how this whole drama unfolds 

@jen_campmanager.ke

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The oldest Mara's lion! The magnificent Olbarnoti
Photo credits: LRDH

4 users Like Timbavati's post

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

A couple of magificent male lions in the Masai Mara, born in 2012 and becoming dominant in 2015.

" An impressive lions formed the strongest duo-coalition and passing their genes in Mara. They appeared in 2015 for the first time in Mara and eventually made themselves a fearsome coalition in Mara. They are none other than Olerai and Olekiti, who are also referred as “Croton Island males”. They were born in 2012 from Oloolamutian pride in MMNR. Watch their amazing story... "
4 users Like Spalea's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-24-2020, 10:54 PM)Spalea Wrote: A couple of magificent male lions in the Masai Mara, born in 2012 and becoming dominant in 2015.

" An impressive lions formed the strongest duo-coalition and passing their genes in Mara. They appeared in 2015 for the first time in Mara and eventually made themselves a fearsome coalition in Mara. They are none other than Olerai and Olekiti, who are also referred as “Croton Island males”. They were born in 2012 from Oloolamutian pride in MMNR. Watch their amazing story... "

Stunning boys. The mane of Olerai It's incredible
2 users Like Timbavati's post