There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

@BA0701 Have you already heard about this?
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Wow, such incredibly heartbreaking news. He was fighting so hard to improve, but we all knew he was fighting a tremendous uphill battle. RIP Lolparpit, you will certainly never be forgotten, your legend will carry on in your stead. I worry now for his brother, who has been having a rough go since the injury was first noticed. Thank you for bringing it to my attention @"TinoArmando" I had not gotten to the thread yet.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-19-2020, 01:29 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Wow, such incredibly heartbreaking news. He was fighting so hard to improve, but we all knew he was fighting a tremendous uphill battle. RIP Lolparpit, you will certainly never be forgotten, your legend will carry on in your stead. I worry now for his brother, who has been having a rough go since the injury was first noticed. Thank you for bringing it to my attention @"TinoArmando" I had not gotten to the thread yet.

I couldn't be more agree. I often think that the hardest part about loving these animals, is knowing that they will most probably go before yourself. Definitely Masai Mara loss a legend today. Hopefully Olbarnoti will doing great for a couple of months or years more.
Anytime my friend,BTW It was a pleasure tagged you in this post
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Lolparpit was one of the most succesfull lions out there, he did pretty much everything male lion can do and lived to an very old age..he will be missed, but he lived a life every lion whish for..

In my opinion greatest Mara lion of this era..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Goodbye Lolparpit - The 'Hall of Fame' welcomes a new member!

While it is hard to believe that we will not see him again next time going out on the vast plains of the Maasai Mara, Lolparpit was obviously on his last legs over the last weeks and the news about his death hardly surprised anyone. One of the most amazing, most successful and most magnificent Male Lions of Kenya has passed away. At the age of almost 16 years he is leaving an unmatched legacy behind.

Well, he wouldn’t have been that successful without his brother, partner, comrade and best friend Olbarnoti. Almost 16 years they walked together, playing around as cubs born into the Ridge Pride beginning of 2005, leaving their natal Pride towards the end of 2007 along with 3 other young Males (who became famous as the Olkiombo Males), they for some reasons decided to break away and to enter the Olare Orok Conservancy which was in its earlier days. What followed is an incredible success story.

They hooked up with a group of Lionesses on the brink of being eradicated as Cattle Rustlers, today known as Enkoyonai Pride. But with the increasing tolerance of the Maasai Landowners establishing the Conservancy and under the wings of Lolparpit & Olbarnoti these Lionesses founded a new dynasty of Mara Lions. Their numbers grew and the Pride had to split with the Oldikidiki Pride and the Porini Pride becoming the sister prides. Lolparpit & Olbarnoti then chased away the old Moniko Males and took over the Moniko Pride as well as the Iseketa Pride. For the next 2 years they were the undisputed rulers of the Olare Orok Conservancy. At some point they had to focus on the eastern parts of the Conservancy and left the Enkoyonai Pride to protect their many descendants from rival Male Coalitions trying their luck with the Moniko and Iseketa Lionesses. They did that very successfully with their offspring founding the Sankai and Hammerkop Prides. The daughters of Lolparpit & Olbarnoti today are in control of huge parts of the Conservancy lands and their sons are equally successful. The 4 Offbeat Males control the majority of the Mara North Conservancy and the 6 Bila Shaka Males (down to 5 now) a big part of the northern Maasai Mara National Reserve on both sides of the Mara River. Another of their sons along with an unrelated Coalition Partner has recently taken over the Topi Plains Pride. Lolparpit & Olbarnoti left a huge footprint in the Greater Mara.

Lolparpit always was the more popular Male of the coalition. That was because he just looked like the role-model of a Lion King with his huge mane that earned his name “Long Hair”. Lolparpit always was the more adventurous of the 2 Males, taking more risks and pushing the boundaries of the Coalition by invading neighbouring territories. That has never changed until his last days. Lolparpit’s character was shaped during his carefree youth in the strong and powerful Ridge Pride. He was self-confident, brave and determined. Giving up was never an option for him until he took his last breath.

No one will forget the legendary rivalry between Lolparpit & Olbarnoti and Mohican & Romeo II lasting from late 2013 to late 2016. The battle with veterans Lipstick & Blackie for control over the Enkoyonai Pride marks the beginning of the last chapter starting mid-2017. At the age of 13 years Lolparpit & Olbarnoti took over their very first Pride again and so the circle has completed. Nobody thought these 2 old Warriors would be strong enough to hold on for long, but they did it anyway. Under their protection another generation of their offspring was raised with 6 of their sons being around 3 years old and ready to carry on their legacy. It is amazing that none of the young Male Coalitions around them, the Fig Tree Males, the Croton Island Males or the Sala’s Males, were able to defeat them.

The many battles had left their mark on Lolparpit. His body was covered with bumps and scars. Over the last 2 years he was caught alone by other Male Coalitions being beaten up several times. For over 2 years he had a permanent limp on his right hind leg, but he fended well with this handicap. It is a tragedy that beginning of August this year his left hind leg also was damaged, which seemed to be a broken bone in his paw or a broken ankle. From one day to the other he was not able to put any weight on it anymore. There was no visible injury and most likely it was not a fight with other Lions causing the damage. Maybe he was chasing after something, maybe he just stepped into a hole. That forced him to hobble around on 2.5 legs and this was a battle he couldn’t win. Staying true to him Lolparpit did not give up while struggling feeding himself and losing strength rapidly. It is beyond my imagination how he could survive another 3.5 months in this condition. During this time he was attacked by other Lions or hyenas and suffered further injuries, but he would not give up. Whenever we thought his end has come, he popped up somewhere and proved us wrong. He hooked up with 2 young dispersing Males from the Fig Tree Pride and covered lots of ground. What energy was still in him is unbelievable. The end was then redemption for him.

Lolparpit was found dead in the morning of the 18th of November. He had passed away peacefully within an area he knew so well and loved so much. There is word that his brother Olbarnoti and members of the Enkoyonai Pride were with him on his last days. I wish this to be true and he got the farewell he deserved.

This formidable Male Lion will always be remembered. Very few other Male Lions can hold a candle to him. It was a blessing and a privilege to be able to meet Lolparpit out on the plains many times over the last years. The Mara will never be the same without him.

Rest in peace Big Boy!
Photo credit to: Peter Rettig

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Timbavati's post

BigLion39 Offline

I wish there would have been a thread dedicated to Lolparpit & Olbarnoti coalition, brothers to the famous Cheza, Sala, & Junior; and believed to be cousins of Scar and the Muskies. Maybe if someone has a lot of info from the beginning and pics/videos there can be a thread dedicated as Olbarnoti is still doing his thing.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

Olbarnoti keeping the legacy going! 

Photo credits to ; Philip Muchaba 2020

6 users Like BigLion39's post

Venezuela titose Offline

The vicious Sala's boys with Topi females feeding on a buffalo, problems for Logol and Half Tail the new Topi rpide males
Masai Mara
By: Tosha Wild Safaris

3 users Like titose's post

Luxembourg Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@"TinoArmando" :

After having read your account #2016 about the very epic Lolparpit's life and temperament... RIP warrior for the rest of eternity within the lion kingdom...

6 users Like Spalea's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-23-2020, 03:23 AM)Spalea Wrote: @"TinoArmando" :

After having read your account #2016 about the very epic Lolparpit's life and temperament... RIP warrior for the rest of eternity within the lion kingdom...

Lolparpit was and has became very special for everyone who had the opportunity of following him. Peter among other have described him very well and I'll say with the proper words for such an impressive specimen. He died at the age of 15/16 years old. Isn't that beautiful? He lived his life as he wants.
BTW, have you done this drawing?

Wildanimal Lover

@"TinoArmando" :

Yes I have done this drawing according to this video:

4 users Like Spalea's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-23-2020, 03:48 AM)Spalea Wrote: @"TinoArmando" :

@Spalea
Wow! What a awesome drawing my friend,That's means a lot of hard work in doing and looking for any small detail to correct. To be honest I never was good in draw haha. Thanks for sharing that impressive art work

Wildanimal Lover

(11-23-2020, 03:51 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 03:48 AM)Spalea Wrote: @"TinoArmando" :

@Spalea
Wow! What a awesome drawing my friend,That's means a lot of hard work in doing and looking for any small detail to correct. To be honest I never was good in draw haha. Thanks for sharing that impressive art work
Thank you, it's very kind of you ! I have done it because of your very both detailed and passionate Lolparpit's depiction... Amazing !
As concerns draw, no miracle, you have to practice each day. But with what you love it's easier ! I started drawing at 25 years old thank to a young captive but ardent lion in Paris.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

I just come to discover this short video about Lolparpit...

" Lolparpit the legendary male died yesterday in Masai Mara National Reserve. He was one of the owner males of the Enkuyanai Pride of the Masai Mara together with Olbarnoti who is still strong. Lolparpit died at over 15 years according to the available publications. Rest In Peace King! "
3 users Like Spalea's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-23-2020, 04:21 AM)Spalea Wrote: I just come to discover this short video about Lolparpit...

" Lolparpit the legendary male died yesterday in Masai Mara National Reserve. He was one of the owner males of the Enkuyanai Pride of the Masai Mara together with Olbarnoti who is still strong. Lolparpit died at over 15 years according to the available publications. Rest In Peace King! "
What a legend! Thanks for sharing another great video of him. Let's hope that Olbarnoti can left their last offspring in the Enkuyunai pride before his demise
2 users Like Timbavati's post