There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

A lot of young lone males around Timbavati atm, Sark male, Guernsey male, Giraffe male, Skorro (Orpen) male.. Hope some of them can form a coalition. 

Btw, any info of remaining Monwana male?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 or more lion now at Guernsey males giraffe carcass, not sure if thats still him there :

Photo Credits : wesley_frohlibg_photography

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 06:45 AM by Timbavati )

(11-14-2021, 05:58 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 2 or more lion now at Guernsey males giraffe carcass, not sure if thats still him there :

Photo Credits : wesley_frohlibg_photography

My friend has told me that Guernsey was with a blond-maned young male in the Giraffe carcass. Also, four of the Black dam young males were seen in Waterbuck in Thornybush. They are deep in Thornybush now...
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 01:31 PM by Potato )

(11-14-2021, 06:45 AM)Timbavati Wrote: four of the Black dam young males were seen in Waterbuck in Thornybush
That includes 2 BMs which roamed Shindzela recently or is it the other 4 and the 2 which were at Shindzela for the past few weeks are still at Shindzela?
3 users Like Potato's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(11-14-2021, 06:45 AM)Timbavati Wrote: the Black dam young males
(11-14-2021, 06:45 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Also, four of the Black dam young males were seen in Waterbuck in Thornybush. They are deep in Thornybush now...
Four of the Black dam young males all are alive when the other two are together, right?
I mean, all of the six BD males are accounted for..
2 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Is this 1/3 Thornybush/Monwana males, sired by the last Trilogy male?

5 users Like lionuk's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So if its true that 4 BDYM are alive in Thornybush, amount of young males, of age between 3-5 yrs, around Timbavati is insane now.. 

We have 4-6 BDYM, 7 Birmingham breakeaway's, 3 Birmingham's, Torchwood/BYM, 6 Myambulas, 3 Monwanas and loners like Giraffe, Sark, Guernsey, Skorro and even young Avoca male.. Thats around 30 young males in the area. 

Yes, some of them will prob move off this area, but this many young males in such a small area is not sustainable, and result will be unstable lion dynamics in future few years, with lot of clashes and deaths.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-14-2021, 03:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 7 Birmingham breakeaway's, 3 Birmingham's, Torchwood/BYM, 6 Myambulas, 3 Monwanas and loners like Giraffe, Sark, Guernsey, Skorro and even young Avoca male
Myambulas are not in the arena and the others of those will move out probably as well. Also they are not yet on the stage they would compete (beside Torchwood/BYM) for territory. 

(11-14-2021, 03:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yes, some of them will prob move off this area, but this many young males in such a small area is not sustainable, and result will be unstable lion dynamics in future few years, with lot of clashes and deaths.
Not necessarily. If the strong coalition take over at they will not be easy push push out. If for example Black Dams will takeover Ngala the prides in the arena should be stable. There should be through some clashes between male coalitions within next months/year It was already discused a bit lately when one of Shindzela guides said Torechwood/BYM might be on colision course with Sumatra/Hercules.
2 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 08:05 PM by Gijima )

Where does Mapoza and the Xikukustu play into all of this? Wouldn’t this be at the heart of their territory?

(On a side note, great news about the BDMs. They are some of the most impressive young males we’ve seen in a while, and it’s great that more brothers are reappearing).
3 users Like Gijima's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-14-2021, 08:05 PM)Gijima Wrote: Where does Mapoza and the Xikukustu play into all of this? Wouldn’t this be at the heart of their territory?

(On a side note, great news about the BDMs. They are some of the most impressive young males we’ve seen in a while, and it’s great that more brothers are reappearing).

If you mean BDM's vs Xikukutsu/Mapoza, BDM's are still quite young, they are 1 year younger then Torchwood/BYM who only now show signs of contesting for territory, they are even 4-5 months younger then Plains Camp boys.

Xikukutsu are chasing them thru Thornybush and Sandringham in the past year or so and its their natal territory, in my opinion its quite likely BDM's will leave Thornybush.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-14-2021, 08:05 PM)Gijima Wrote: Where does Mapoza and the Xikukustu play into all of this? Wouldn’t this be at the heart of their territory?
A little bit on the side and also has strong numbers to hold their own. It is uncommon for males (beside small fenced out reserves) to try to compete for their natal pride so I do not think Black Dam males will try to compete for Black Dam pride. Monwana and Avoca prides might be preassured by Black Dams, Torchwood/Birmingham or Sumatra/Hercules, but being coalition of 3 they won't be easy to push around unless Xikukutsus will choose to just chill in Sandriham with Black Dam pride.

There are different options for nomadic males to try to take advantage of, some more, some less likely options. Personally 3 potentiall clashes for the next few months I see as most likely options of all possiblitys at the moment are: 

Vuela vs Sumatra/Hercules - I believe with taking over Sark breakaway pride, we will be seeing Vuelas much more in Timbavati than we had in the past and as a coalition of 5, I can imagine they won't be satisfy with just one medium size pride and will be pushing their borders further and the takover of the Giraffe pride look like natural next step for them. I already though Myambula females coming back to oestrus will bring atention of Vuelas into region, but that did not happen and the Skorro males were the only ones to show themselfs willing to compete for that pride with Nharhu males. Vuelas did not step in through now with them seen mating with Sark breakaway girls definitelly can be a trigger for the Vuelas to spend more time in Timbavati.

Torchwood/Birmingham vs Sumatra/Hercules - Althrough Torchwood was recently seen mating with one of the Avoca females, the Avoca pride nowdays spend their time in Thornybush, deep into Xikukutsu/Mapoza territory. I do not think Xikukutsus will just chill in Sandriham and together with Mapoza male will cut any advances of Torchwood/Birmingham coalition into Thornybush.  Xikukutsus with Mapoza male as a coalition of 3 seems like a too strong target for Torchwood/Birmingham coalition and therefore I bet they will try their chances against what seems like easier target and equally close by in form of Sumatra/Hercules.

Black Dams vs Ross - I bet Ngala will be the arena, those young guns will take as a target to takeover. Birmingham and Birmingham breakaway prides are close, at least some of their females should be coming back into oestrus bringing attention of adult males around and the ageing Ross males does not look like defenders, young Black Dams should be scared of. In fact if there are 4 or even 6 Black Dams around, the takeover should be rather easy for them.
3 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 09:07 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-14-2021, 08:43 PM)Potato Wrote: Black Dams vs Ross - I bet Ngala will be the arena, those young guns will take as a target to takeover. Birmingham and Birmingham breakaway prides are close, at least some of their females should be coming back into oestrus bringing attention of adult males around and the ageing Ross males does not look like defenders, young Black Dams should be scared of. In fact if there are 4 or even 6 Black Dams around, the takeover should be rather easy for them.

No indication that BDM's are interested into Ross males territory whatsoever. 

Seeing 2 BDM's near Shindzela (which is not exactly Ross males territory) and 1 time near Birmingham breakeaway subadults gruop (with which Ross males dont hang) means absolutely nothing.

Dont know which females from Birmingham/B breakeaway will be back in estrus, as most of them already have 2nd generation of cubs with Ross males.

BDM's could just as easily contest any other coalition in the area if they are 4-6 in future.

In fact, its absolutely impossible to predict these things, N'ws out of nothing conquered whole Londolozi/MalaMala Main Camp in 4 days.

Gijima Offline

N'ws out of nothing conquered whole Londolozi/MalaMala Main Camp in 4 days.”

Whoa that’s quiet the exaggerated statement don’t you think? Spending one day with one lioness in MM doesn’t mean you’ve conquered all of two reserves… let’s not get carried away. 

I was just asking peoples opinions on the situation so I appreciate all points of view. Ultimately we can’t predict the what they’ll do— heck they could even march all the way south to SS but it’ll be interesting to follow such a promising coalition. They already stood up to their older peers (BYM), and by Tintswalo accounts were roaring away… they show great promise. 
3 users Like Gijima's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-14-2021, 09:20 PM)Gijima Wrote: N'ws out of nothing conquered whole Londolozi/MalaMala Main Camp in 4 days.”

Whoa that’s quiet the exaggerated statement don’t you think? Spending one day with one lioness in MM doesn’t mean you’ve conquered all of two reserves… let’s not get carried away. 

It was just an example that its impossible to predict what can happen.

And, no, it was not exaggeration, as that literaly happened, territory wise (scent marking, roaring and chasing dominant males of the area) they conquered whole Londolozi and MalaMala Main Camp (i never said all of MalaMala, what?) in couple of days..

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 09:38 PM by Gijima )

Spending a few days in the vacant area of southern Londolozi doesn’t mean you have conquered all of Londolozi. They haven’t been in northern Londolozi at all and the Nkuhuma Pride was literally there when the events of this day occurred. Northern Londolozi is not theirs. Southern Londolozi is vacant and so they claimed it. Mala Mala is still up for grabs and we need to wait and see what each of the three coalitions do in that area.
2 users Like Gijima's post