There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-04-2021, 09:40 PM by Timbavati )

(11-04-2021, 09:14 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 08:29 PM)Timbavati Wrote: To be honest, If I had to mention one of the most successful duo of the Timbavati in the last years
I was talking about the strongest duo, not about the most successfull tho.
If the word 'Greatest' is mentioned, then, We need have in count a lot of things. Like years as dominant males, offspring, territory conquered in how time and how much they have been holding it. The old River pride males have all of those points mentioned above. Being dominant males over a region for 8 years means they're absolutely strong and successful at the same time. It seems that age is just a number for those two legends
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-04-2021, 09:14 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 08:29 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Skorro's might have trouble sooner then they expected, only 3 Vuyelas are seen occasionaly in Timbavati, i guess other 2 are staying with prides in Klaserie.
There are 5 seen in the region. I do not think they will be a problem for Skorros. They might be for Sumatra/Hercules.
The Vuyela coalition split up in two groups. Three spend the majority of his time together while the others are ocasionally seen with three/four females. But still all five are seen together sometimes. Actually, they could be a trouble for the neighbouring coalitions. Like Hercules and Sumatra, Skorro, Torchwood and Birmingham young males etc.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-04-2021, 09:14 PM)Potato Wrote: There are 5 seen in the region. I do not think they will be a problem for Skorros. They might be for Sumatra/Hercules.

If they are seen at Rockfig, thats central Timbavati and pretty much territory of Skorro males. 

Hercules/Sumatra are further south, and operate in between Walkers Villa in the west and Shindzela in the east. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Vuyelas are prob in between the 2 coalitions, so it depends in which direction they move.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Credit: Brett Marneweck Photography

https://instagram.com/stories/brettmarneweck_photography/2699362923837092135?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(11-04-2021, 06:11 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 10:54 AM)afortich Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 04:52 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Torchwood and Birmingham young male and  the two regal kings, Hercules and Sumatra males
Photo credit: Ziggi Hugo 
Caption: It seems like our region is currently a "No Go zone" for lion. Avocas moved further south away from these 4 males that scan the fringes of our lodge area. The Torchwood and Young Birmingham males and the Sumatra and Hercules males might clash at some time. Only time will tell.

How old are Hercules and Sumatra??
Hercules was born in late 2014 or even early 2015. Sumatra male is around 10 more or less
Do they dominate any territory and prides??
2 users Like afortich's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(11-04-2021, 09:44 PM)afortich Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 04:52 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Torchwood and Birmingham young male and  the two regal kings, Hercules and Sumatra males
Caption: It seems like our region is currently a "No Go zone" for lion. Avocas moved further south away from these 4 males that scan the fringes of our lodge area. The Torchwood and Young Birmingham males and the Sumatra and Hercules males might clash at some time. Only time will tell.

Hercules was born in late 2014 or even early 2015. Sumatra male is around 10 more or less

Currently have the Giraffe Pride .  Here is the recent Territorial map from @Timbavati

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(11-04-2021, 09:55 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 09:44 PM)afortich Wrote:

Currently have the Giraffe Pride .  Here is the recent Territorial map from @Timbavati
Ok, I see they have a little portion of common ground with BYM and TYM that opens a possibility of a conflict. Hopefully, there is no fight in the near future. Thank u for the info!!
3 users Like afortich's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-04-2021, 09:37 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Vuyela coalition split up in two groups. Three spend the majority of his time together while the others are ocasionally seen with three/four females. But still all five are seen together sometimes
As far as I remember 3 weeks or so in Tanda Tula raport was mentioned there were all 5 with Sark breakaways.

(11-04-2021, 09:37 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Actually, they could be a trouble for the neighbouring coalitions. Like Hercules and Sumatra, Skorro, Torchwood and Birmingham young males etc.
Skorros have a lot of free space to withdrew into, either to the south-east into historycal territory of Myambula pride or to the north east where they used to be dominant (and probably still are) before they took out Nharhus. Unless Myambula females are not pregnant yet and they will be willing to stick in the arena even if Vuela male will push into it, I do not think Skorros can lose their prides. Also that at this point Myambula females would leave Skorro males is not a scenario I would expect so I do not think Skorros would lose their prides even if Vuelas would push into their territory. Sumatra and Hercules are no doubt in worst spot in that regard. Also basing on that is which spots of Timbavati Vuela males were seen in the past, it is more likely they would push into Hercules/Sumatra territory insteed of into Skorros.

(11-04-2021, 09:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: If they are seen at Rockfig, thats central Timbavati and pretty much territory of Skorro males. 

Western Rockfig is territory of Giraffe pride and Sumatra/Hercules coalition.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Watch as a spectacular male lion sees off a rival, captured on video on a recent game drive. Disputes between adult males are all about territory and can often be violent and sometimes lethal, but in this case it was just a telling off, leaving the errant lion free to try his luck another day!

https://www.facebook.com/baobabridge/videos/210956991161809

I assume it is one of the Vuela males.
4 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-04-2021, 11:06 PM)Potato Wrote: Western Rockfig is territory of Giraffe pride and Sumatra/Hercules coalition

It was when they tookover Giraffe pride, but i dont remember Rockfig reporting seeing them since April/May, especially not in recent months.. Thats prob and reason why Vuyelas where starting to be seen in that area..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-04-2021, 11:34 PM)Potato Wrote: Watch as a spectacular male lion sees off a rival, captured on video on a recent game drive. Disputes between adult males are all about territory and can often be violent and sometimes lethal, but in this case it was just a telling off, leaving the errant lion free to try his luck another day!

https://www.facebook.com/baobabridge/videos/210956991161809

I assume it is one of the Vuela males.

It looks like he chased of his brother of the female with who he was mating.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-04-2021, 11:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: It was when they tookover Giraffe pride, but i dont remember Rockfig reporting seeing them since April/May, especially not in recent months.. Thats prob and reason why Vuyelas where starting to be seen in that area..
Updates from Rockfig are rare so therefore it is difficult to judge, but I believe western part is still territory of Sumatra/Hercules. The reason we see Vuelas more often nowdays no doubt is that young Sark breakaway females are coming into heat and the Vuelas are trying to establish themselfs as pride males of this forming pride.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-04-2021, 11:59 PM)Potato Wrote: Updates from Rockfig are rare so therefore it is difficult to judge, but I believe western part is still territory of Sumatra/Hercules.

I dont think their territory is north of Kambaku anymore, they are regularly seen at Walkers River Camp - ex Avoca territory - Shindzela these days, possibly starting to move in northern Thornybush. 

Reason for that is Mapoza with Monwanas moving south, deeper towards central Thornybush, they are just filling the empty area. 

Also Walkers River Camp recently posted that new Giraffe cubs are stashed on neigbouring property, which is prob north west Thornybush.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Cant remember if this was posted, big boy Sumatra with Giraffe female:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-05-2021, 12:45 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also Walkers River Camp recently posted that new Giraffe cubs are stashed on neigbouring property, which is prob north west Thornybush.
That is probably Kambaku which is core of the territory of the Giraffe pride since forever.