There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-15-2021, 09:08 PM)Gijima Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 07:57 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The four Black dam young males in the south of Thornybush on a buffalo kill.
They were born in the end of July 2017 and the youngest of the six males was born in the end of November 2017.
Photo courtesy of: Rudi Hulshof

*This image is copyright of its original author

Absolutely the best news. But where's the mohawk BDM? Remember he was completely alone in Thorneybush. Was he not in fact a BDM because he doesn't look like these four?

It was wrongly identified as BDYM
 But, in fact. It was the Guernsey young male
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Avocas under Xikukutsus/Mapoza?? Not true, they are semi-nomadic, if they are in Xikukutsus/Mapoza territory, that doesnt mean they are under their control. 
Avoca pride is not nomadic and as long as they are on Xikukutsu/Mapoza land Black Dams would have get through that coalition to take over Avoca pride.
(11-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Now take a map and see where are Hercules/Sumatra and where Ross males compared to BDM's from Thornybush. 

Walkers River Camp (1 of core territories of Hercules/Sumatra) is literaly on Thornybush border, and Sumatra/Hercules where seen not long ago in northern Thornybush. Ross males are like 10 km south east of northern Thornybush. 
Walkers River Camp is not care core of territory of Sumatra/Hercules nor ruled by them Giraffe pride. Also I am not saying Sumatra/Hercules are way too far to be challanged by BDs, there is no way in the world BDs will challange Sumatra/Hercules or anythink like it just that Ross males are closer more likely to be targeted.
(11-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yes its my view, because i dont have any evidence that Xikukutsus and Mapoza operate "full time" as coalition of 3, when was the last time we saw Xikukutsus with Mapoza and Monwana pride? Xikukutsus where for months in Sandringham, 1-2 months ago 1 returned and was seen in Thornybush with BD female, after that we again didn't see them, and Mapoza is seen regulary, that means that Xikukutsus are most time in Sandringham.. 
With such "regular" updates we get from Thornybush it is bold to say such stuff. Anyway dissagree with your view on this. Even if in fact they wouldn't be together as long as few months, it is no where not enough to break off coalition. Anyway you do not know if that is indeed the case. I say they are still very much coalition of 3. 
(11-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I wont call you hater, but you definitely have more favorable lions then others, Bboys and Ross males you definitely dont like as you never give them credit they deserve and constantly downplaying them as they are "weak" compared to other coalitions, which you like
Honestly i d not have favourites nor hated lions beside Mbiri males. That I say I do not see Ross males fighting off Mbiri males or couldn't fight off 6 Black Dams it is not because I do not like them, but because I believe they are not strong enough. If they would prove me wrong and put a beating to the Mbiri males then I would modify my opinion on both Mbiris and Ross regarding their strenght as a coalition. Simple. Same for example as before N Avocas pushed into Mala Mala I have believed Birminghams to be stronger with equal numbers, but I have changed my opinion after I've seen them in actual competition.
Also as an relativly older user you may remember peroid of time when other members with you included were neglecting existance of actual competition between Mbiri males and Nharhu males for River pride and I was constantly corecting those and later on made the post at Lion Tale thread puting light on those events. I even through I like Mbiris I had no problem what so ever with giving Nharhuis credic for the resault they pulled out. I am not neither downgrading nor favouring coalitions, but just make objective predictions believe it or not.
(11-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: And this just confirms my claims i just wrote above. 
Unstopable force? Next Mapogos?..
Oh yeah you're right. I have only said such think because I love BDs. It is obvious that the other lion coalitions around (which are mostly duos) will easly whipe the floor with those 6 males ( sarcasm on ofc).
(11-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Wonder if you will write like that for 6 young Kambulas.
Maybe in the future, maybe not. For me BDs looks more impressive, better developed for their age, all alive and already ready for takeover. They looks like more promising coalition for me. Kambula male do not look particularly impressive to me and they still has quite a way to reach the stage in which they will compete for territory. If they survive to that stage all alive and well they will have big potential with their numbers, but that if they reach such stage is still under question mark. Tumbela coalition are perfect example that number alone are not enough.

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-15-2021, 07:50 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 06:50 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Of course, Also would be grateful if those thread(s) won't be flood the with non-stop discussions. Which could end with guest and members of WildFact losing interest in the forum. The aim of WildFact is provide good sources and information. Often, long debates may make lost a bit of that.
The forum IS in big part about discusions. If someone wants updates only he can like some facebook page or group (where there are no discusions) or he can just scroll through those discusions on wildfact. I do not see any problem with either. NO one here is forced to read or to participate in those discusions.

After of reading the recent posts. That's is one of the reasons why I said  long-debates often make lost the good information of the threads. Of course. I'm not saying nobody shouldn't debate. But some debates seems to be endless. Debates are allowed as long as it's on a respectful way and in the appropiate topic. But BBoys, N'waswitshaka and N.Avocas could be talk in others threads as Sabi Sands or Avoca. Just that.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Honestly just make a Avoca Bboy clash thread. That way all the info stays in one spot and doesnt the rest get cluttered.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Hairy tummy Offline

(08-13-2021, 12:18 AM)Potato Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 11:59 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 09:24 PM)Gijima Wrote: Oh yeah, the Brutus family tree definitely has some large heads lol. They have the skulls of Mr T and Kinky Tail in Nhkoro on display but I guess there was nothing noteworthy about those two… but I do believe the Mlowathi Males have been average sized lions.

Yes you're right. The Mlowathi males were average sized lions, Like the other Mapogo males, except for Dreadlocks and Makhulu.

I do not think so. There you can read opinion of James Tyrell on Majingilanes and KNP males:
"Todd these are indeed very big males, definitely bigger that the Majingilane. They have been around our Southern areas once or twice more since this sighting, and their paw prints alone dwarf those of the Majingilane. As Thelma says, 4 vs 2 might be too much for them to handle if they do bump into one another, and with one of the Kruger males having a lame hip, it would be fair to assume that the Majingilane males would come out on top in an encounter"

and the opinion of Sabi Sabi guide Ben Coley on KNP male and 2 last Mapogos which even through very in good condition, they were defninitelly well past their prime:

"Thanks for all the comments everyone. I hope it was a fitting article for such an influential coalition! News from the fight yesterday morning is that one was seen briefly with quite bad injuries to his testicles amongst other areas…but we don’t know the extent of the injuries just yet. We did find tracks for one deep in south of the reserve this morning but couldn’t locate him. It seems I underestimated the Kruger males. Although the remaining Mapogo are larger, I can only posit that their desire has left them and they merely seek to live out the rest of their days in relative peace."

(11-16-2021, 12:46 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Honestly just make a Avoca Bboy clash thread. That way all the info stays in one spot and doesnt the rest get cluttered.
Possible thread, potato vs tr1x24? Make a interesting read. Just kidding guys
7 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The Sumatra and Hercules were seen with the Giraffe pride three days ago in Thornybush.
Photo credits: Jonathan Meintjes

10 users Like Timbavati's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Recent sightings of the Skorro males and the Mayambula pride at Tanda Tula, Timbavati, posted November 16.

7 users Like lionuk's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 07:14 PM by Timbavati )

Two of the five Vuyela males made a new return to the Timbavati. With five members within the coalition. The Vuyela coalition is a force to be reckoned with in the area.
Video credits: Irene Kelly

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

An incredible encounter with dominant male Hosi for our lucky guests
this boy was roaring throughout the night close to the lodge recently making it rather difficult to sleep. However, we didn't mind when guide Nick followed his call and found him perfectly posed for his photoshoot
what an impressive male he is indeed

6 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Introducing the six Black dam male lions - A coalition of six young males. Five of them were born within a month of each-other, while the #6 is younger by four or five months. Born approximately in late July 2017 and the younger of the 6 in late November 2017. It’s been almost two years since the six young Blackdam males left Thornybush on their exploratory travels, so typical of young male lions. Four of them returned a few days ago, and waisted no time in bringing down a large buffalo bull south of Royal Malewane. With these four incoming beasts in Thornybush and the other two Black dam males in Timbavati. A potential coalition of six healthy and strong young males is forming in the horizon. Interesting times ahead
Photo credits in order of appareance 1 & 2 Johan Adolf Smalman and 3/4/5 & 6 to Rudi Hulshof
The Black dam males in order of appareance: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6

8 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 09:05 PM by Mdz123 )

(11-16-2021, 08:27 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Introducing the six Black dam male lions - A coalition of six young males. Five of them were born within a month of each-other, while the #6 is younger by four or five months. Born approximately in late July 2017 and the younger of the 6 in late November 2017. It’s been almost two years since the six young Blackdam males left Thornybush on their exploratory travels, so typical of young male lions. Four of them returned a few days ago, and waisted no time in bringing down a large buffalo bull south of Royal Malewane. With these four incoming beasts in Thornybush and the other two Black dam males in Timbavati. A potential coalition of six healthy and strong young males is forming in the horizon. Interesting times ahead
Photo credits in order of appareance 1 & 2 Johan Adolf Smalman and 3/4/5 & 6 to Rudi Hulshof

The next mega coalition of Timbavati seems possible if they do reunite.
5 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-16-2021, 09:04 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 08:27 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Introducing the six Black dam male lions - A coalition of six young males. Five of them were born within a month of each-other, while the #6 is younger by four or five months. Born approximately in late July 2017 and the younger of the 6 in late November 2017. It’s been almost two years since the six young Blackdam males left Thornybush on their exploratory travels, so typical of young male lions. Four of them returned a few days ago, and waisted no time in bringing down a large buffalo bull south of Royal Malewane. With these four incoming beasts in Thornybush and the other two Black dam males in Timbavati. A potential coalition of six healthy and strong young males is forming in the horizon. Interesting times ahead

The next mega coalition of Timbavati seems possible if they do reunite.

Only time will tell. With 6 young males in the Black dam coalition, 7 in the Birmingham breakaway pride interesting times ahead in the Timbavati.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Any info where are 2 BDM's who where at Shindzela? no report on them for weeks.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

2 of the five Vuyela males seen recently at Rockfig Safari Lodge.
The size of these males is absolutely incredible! What a good looking male lions
Photo credit: Irene Kelly

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-16-2021, 09:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Any info where are 2 BDM's who where at Shindzela? no report on them for weeks.

They were seen around 10 days ago at Shindzela, that’s the most recent sighting I could think of
2 users Like Mdz123's post