There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-09-2021, 05:15 PM)Timbavati Wrote: UPDATE: The Birmingham breakaway sub-adults male were seen in Northern Thornybush a few days ago

Finally an update. Any images of the brothers?
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Good morning from the River pride
*This image is copyright of its original author
after a morning following fresh tracks, guide Emily located four of the pride females taking a snooze alongside male Socha. One female was showing signs of coming into oestrus - meaning she will soon be ready to mate - and it looks like Socha is taking dibs on the next fatherhood opportunity! Not that either of our males are missing out there....with almost 20 offspring between them and counting

5 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

A little throwback with the two Sumatra males in 2013 in Northern Timbavati! Born into the Voel dam/Western pride. There's a possibilities that they were fathered by the old Sohobele males who were seen mating with this pride before they passed away. Only 1 of the Sumatra male is still alive until today (the subadult male in the first image) He is now dominant male of the Giraffe and a proud father along side with his partner, the Hercules male born in late 2014.
9 users Like Timbavati's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

5 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The River Pride Male - Socha

5 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

1/5 Vuyela males at Umlani Bushcamp
Last week I spent a little time at my old stomping ground - The Timbavati Private Nature Reserve in South Africa! While hosting a private photographic safari at Umlani Bushcamp. If there is one species that sums up the week, its lions! We saw the kitty cats on every single drive and had multiple sightings of lions on kills. This large male along with his coalition partners were some of the best looking lions I have had the pleasure of seeing.
Photo credit: Luke Street Photography

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Gijima Offline

Source: Can't link it here - YouTube post. 

"THROWBACK WHITE LIONS

Everyone knows the white lions of Ngala and Satara, but ten years ago two white females were born to the Giraffe Pride (and previously the Ross Pride).

Photo 1: White lioness posing with her Giraffe pride brothers."

"One time, the white lioness was cornered alone by 5 females of the Ross Pride. She was saved by an electric fence, and only narrowly escaped death."

"Both white sisters reached adulthood. On top, they are mating with the Triology male and on the bottom photo, a lioness is with the Mapoza Male."

"The two sister also had cubs. Although this litter didn’t survive, these two showed us that white lions can indeed lead very successful lives in the wild."

"The two sisters eventually died due to the ongoing lion warfare in their area."

Image credits: Sun Destination, Brett Horley, Kings Camp Lodge, Ken Whyte Barcroft"
6 users Like Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-11-2021, 07:26 PM)Gijima Wrote: Source: Can't link it here - YouTube post. 

"THROWBACK WHITE LIONS

Everyone knows the white lions of Ngala and Satara, but ten years ago two white females were born to the Giraffe Pride (and previously the Ross Pride).

"One time, the white lioness was cornered alone by 5 females of the Ross Pride. She was saved by an electric fence, and only narrowly escaped death."

"Both white sisters reached adulthood. On top, they are mating with the Triology male and on the bottom photo, a lioness is with the Mapoza Male."

"The two sister also had cubs. Although this litter didn’t survive, these two showed us that white lions can indeed lead very successful lives in the wild."

"The two sisters eventually died due to the ongoing lion warfare in their area."

Image credits: Sun Destination, Brett Horley, Kings Camp Lodge, Ken Whyte Barcroft"

I am curious if the white gene still lives on in that pride considering that past year 2015 the pride was ruled by coalitions which does not carry white gene. The white gene could have been pushed out. Intrestingly the Thornybush Giraffe male was a litter mate of one of the Giraffe pride white lionesses so there are good chances he transfered white gene further into Black Dam pride as well as into 2 young Black Dam males which are currently moving as nomads around Shindzela.
3 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

(11-11-2021, 09:03 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 07:26 PM)Gijima Wrote: Source: Can't link it here - YouTube post. 

"THROWBACK WHITE LIONS

I am curious if the white gene still lives on in that pride considering that past year 2015 the pride was ruled by coalitions which does not carry white gene. The white gene could have been pushed out. Intrestingly the Thornybush Giraffe male was a litter mate of one of the Giraffe pride white lionesses so there are good chances he transfered white gene further into Black Dam pride as well as into 2 young Black Dam males which are currently moving as nomads around Shindzela.

I think for sure the BDM, YBM or any of those lions could carry the gene.

I also don't think it's wiped out from the Giraffe Pride if the females were able to raise daughters to adulthood. They gene would be passed down from generation to generation on the females' side and it would just stay dormant.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-11-2021, 10:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: I also don't think it's wiped out from the Giraffe Pride if the females were able to raise daughters to adulthood. They gene would be passed down from generation to generation on the females' side and it would just stay dormant.
I think if one parent carry white gene and the other do not, there is only 50% that the gene will be passed further and that is why I am not sure the gene still exist in Giraffe pride. 

(11-11-2021, 10:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: I think for sure the BDM, YBM or any of those lions could carry the gene.
They definitelly can carry, but there are also chances they do not carry it. That is why it is impossible to predict which individuals carry it and which don't.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Gijima Offline

(11-11-2021, 10:32 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 10:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: I also don't think it's wiped out from the Giraffe Pride if the females were able to raise daughters to adulthood. They gene would be passed down from generation to generation on the females' side and it would just stay dormant.
I think if one parent carry white gene and the other do not, there is only 50% that the gene will be passed further and that is why I am not sure the gene still exist in Giraffe pride. 

(11-11-2021, 10:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: I think for sure the BDM, YBM or any of those lions could carry the gene.
They definitelly can carry, but there are also chances they do not carry it. That is why it is impossible to predict which individuals carry it and which don't.

If the genes got pushed out of the pride I don't see it as a bad thing. There were too many white lions in the Timbavati at one point when implies that there might have been a bit too much inbreeding... so now the genes are more spread out which is a good thing and hopefully being spread further away as lions leave the reserve.
3 users Like Gijima's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 11:51 PM by Timbavati )

Timbavati is known for their white lions. Mostly of their prides once carrying of the white gene. Like Giraffe pride, Jacaranda and Timbavati. I'm not sure if the Giraffe pride has any old female (which probably could be from the white lions era and could carry the white gene, I'll try to ask.) As far I know, One of the Jacaranda females breakaway from the main pride and formed his own pride. Thus, she's quite old and probably could carry the white gene.  The last Ross lioness also could carry the white gene (she's sister of the two Ross males) she was last seen with a lioness of the Hercules pride. The Timbavati pride had white cubs in 2009. Another possibly pride with the white gene through their bloodline. Some prides now exctint had white cubs in 2006. The first white cubs in over 15 years!. 

2006 - First white lions born in the Timbavati in over
15 years; 2 cubs born in May 2006 into the Jacaranda pride
Another two white cubs was reported in the Machaton
Pride in October 2006. Sadly, none of the cubs were
seen again after their first viewing
2009 - Another two female white lions are born
in the area. This time into the Timbavati Pride,
a group of lionesses that were themselves
born to the Jacaranda Pride.
Giraffe Farm Pride also has a white
female cub into the pride
2011 - Jacaranda lioness gives birth to another
white cub, and Ross Pride has one white
cub that dies the same year
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A liones from the Hercules pride with a white cub at Nthambo Tree Camp
Photo credit: Brett Thompson, December 2013

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Lions in Balule - apparently one of the machaton males in the back, looking pretty rough

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Update: The Torchwood young male seen mating with a Avoca lioness in the eastern boundary of Thornybush. The BYM was around too.
6 users Like Timbavati's post