There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-18-2020, 05:52 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 03:42 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 03:24 AM)Potato Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 02:40 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Rudi Hulshof: Although still unconfirmed, it’s all but accepted that the #giraffemale lion has died. We have not seen him for about 6 months now, and he has also not been seen in the company of the blackdampride of lions here on the reserve at royalmalewane in South Africa. 

Should he make a reappearance and again be seen on our #wildlife photographic safari, I will be sure to correct this assumption of mine, but for now his memory has been immortalized by the thousands of photos, guides and guests alike have taken of him during his life.

Isn't entire core Black Dam pride out of Malewane as well for months already? It doesn't mean they died. We could make such assumptions if the core pride was viewd without Giraffe male, but does that did happen?

Being honest I would like think that the Giraffe male is alive and well.

I knock on wood for it

I couldn't agree more my friend. Nothing would make me happier than to be completely wrong in this instance. I have been concerned for him since he went over there, after @Tr1x24  found out what he found on that property. That's why I asked about him a few days ago. 

Have the females that went with him been seen since then?

This is very concerning for everyone.

He is one of the last sons of the old Ross males. also the last surviving of the once Giraffe coalition (younger brother) he didn't form part of the coalition but he has born in the Giraffe pride as the other brothers
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Gijima Offline

After reading about all the male lions missing in the Mara this year, nothing would surprise me. It’s just strange that two males went missing in the same area right after the lockdown ended. Not doubting that Black Dam male died of natural causes, but still frustrating. I read this incredibly sketchy advertisement for a lion hunt sold in that area in 2018:

“The outfitter offering this hunt has been a PH for decades and has an outstanding reputation.  He has quota available in some of the best concessions of South Africa and Zimbabwe.  He only sells dangerous game hunts!
The hunt will take place on a 2,750 acre concession with an 11 km border with a South African National Park that is poorly fenced. The lions are able to come out of the park to feed on the resident plains game and livestock  and return to the park afterwards at will.
You will stay at a luxury lodge in the Hoedspruit area of Limpopo Province. There you will experience the hospitality that South Africa is famous for.”

They are literally bragging about the poor fence in that area and how to take advantage of it. 
2 users Like Gijima's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-19-2020, 07:55 AM)Gijima Wrote: After reading about all the male lions missing in the Mara this year, nothing would surprise me. It’s just strange that two males went missing in the same area right after the lockdown ended. Not doubting that Black Dam male died of natural causes, but still frustrating. I read this incredibly sketchy advertisement for a lion hunt sold in that area in 2018:

“The outfitter offering this hunt has been a PH for decades and has an outstanding reputation.  He has quota available in some of the best concessions of South Africa and Zimbabwe.  He only sells dangerous game hunts!
The hunt will take place on a 2,750 acre concession with an 11 km border with a South African National Park that is poorly fenced. The lions are able to come out of the park to feed on the resident plains game and livestock  and return to the park afterwards at will.
You will stay at a luxury lodge in the Hoedspruit area of Limpopo Province. There you will experience the hospitality that South Africa is famous for.”

They are literally bragging about the poor fence in that area and how to take advantage of it. 

I totally agree with you here [Gijima]
Nonetheless. at this stage nobody will knows what has happened with the Giraffe male. He could be alive and well,However we can't know nothing about him. 
He went on a private property with the Blackdam pride and he wasn't seen since them. I read that the lionesses were hidding cubs there... so perhaps and most likely isn't the first time that he has went there

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-19-2020, 07:55 AM)Gijima Wrote: After reading about all the male lions missing in the Mara this year, nothing would surprise me. It’s just strange that two males went missing in the same area right after the lockdown ended. Not doubting that Black Dam male died of natural causes, but still frustrating. I read this incredibly sketchy advertisement for a lion hunt sold in that area in 2018:

@Gijima Giraffe Male was last seen crossing onto a private reserve called Sandrigham, and as @Tr1x24 found, in post 1,764 on page 118 of this thread, he found an article that some people from that reserve are known for poaching, including having been arrested for it. That is the main reason for the concern for him as of late, as he hasn't been seen since crossing over there.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lions-of-timbavati?pid=125628&highlight=Sandrigham#pid125628
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Theres no evidence that he fight all 3 Nharu males at once, he would prob not survive that.."

Yes, but he had also injurys to his hid quaters which indicates that he fought at least two opponents at once. Could have be that it was 2vs1, not 3vs1. Nharhus were nomads by that time tho so I think it is more likely that all 3 were together as nomadic life kind of forces males into sticking together. 

"You're wrong my friend.

The first encounter Mbiri vs Nharhu males was in September 2019 and the Nharhu male have pushed out the Mbiri and took-over their territory. words confirmed by Chad Cocking via Direct Message."

And how does that stands in opposite to what I have said?

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-19-2020, 06:59 PM)Potato Wrote: "Theres no evidence that he fight all 3 Nharu males at once, he would prob not survive that.."

Yes, but he had also injurys to his hid quaters which indicates that he fought at least two opponents at once. Could have be that it was 2vs1, not 3vs1. Nharhus were nomads by that time tho so I think it is more likely that all 3 were together as nomadic life kind of forces males into sticking together. 

"You're wrong my friend.

The first encounter Mbiri vs Nharhu males was in September 2019 and the Nharhu male have pushed out the Mbiri and took-over their territory. words confirmed by Chad Cocking via Direct Message."

The Nharhu coalition went into Timbavati in September 2019 and became dominant at that time.
The Mbiri male  was injured in Jan 2019 at that time the Nharhu males were still in Klaserie with their natal pride. So months doesn't match

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The white Birmingham pride sub-adult male with the young Birmingham male in the background!
The seasonal color shift has been so quick as a fair amount of rain fell about a week ago. Quite a nice time for photography as everything is getting greener.
These two were keeping an eye on hyenas that were investigating the area for any sign of a carcass. - Ngala Private Game Reserve
Image by: Roan Du Plessis

*This image is copyright of its original author

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Lion Portrait
Throwback with the RockFig male in the Timbavati Game Reserve.
One of the last son of the old Ross males.
Image credits: Xavier Surinyach

1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Birmingham pride resting at the Kruger National Park
Image by: Chris Corbet

Gijima Offline

@"TinoArmando" @BA0701 Thanks for the clarification... the private properties in that area all seem very shady. Hopefully he turns up soon.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-19-2020, 07:38 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 06:59 PM)Potato Wrote: "Theres no evidence that he fight all 3 Nharu males at once, he would prob not survive that.."

"You're wrong my friend.

The Nharhu coalition went into Timbavati in September 2019 and became dominant at that time.
The Mbiri male  was injured in Jan 2019 at that time the Nharhu males were still in Klaserie with their natal pride. So months doesn't match

Shaka was injured two times in that spot above his right eye. One as you mentioned in Jan 2019 and then later on by the Nharhus couple of months later. This photo is is from Shaka's fight against Nharhus.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-19-2020, 08:44 PM)Gijima Wrote: @"TinoArmando" @BA0701 Thanks for the clarification... the private properties in that area all seem very shady. Hopefully he turns up soon.

each private property is shady. Even in Sabi Sands (If I remember well.) One of the Othawa females (during Mapogo era) and Dreadlock Mapogo a few years later  went into Robson property and was killed by a snare

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-19-2020, 09:10 PM)Potato Wrote:

"You're wrong my friend.

Shaka was injured two times in that spot above his right eye. One as you mentioned in Jan 2019 and then later on by the Nharhus couple of months later. This photo is is from Shaka's fight against Nharhus.
There doesn't exist any proofs that the Nharhu were in Timbavati much earlier than September 2019.
The Mbiri were involved on fight with the River Pride males. but definitely weren't the Nharhu males.
Besides until today the Nharhu males never were involved physically on a fight with Mbiri males.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Chad Cocking: Hi Tino; thanks for the message. The Nharu males arrived in The Timbavati last year in September and have been the dominant males of the river pride since then. They chased off the two mbiri males, and are presently the biggest coalition of three males.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-19-2020, 09:16 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 09:10 PM)Potato Wrote:

"You're wrong my friend.

There doesn't exist any proofs that the Nharhu were in Timbavati much earlier than September 2019.
The Mbiri were involved on fight with the River Pride males. but definitely weren't the Nharhu males.
Besides until today the Nharhu males never were involved physically on a fight with Mbiri males.

http://www.homeinspirations.co.za/index.php/282-gods-creation-in-the-wild/40775-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-game-ranger-by-luke-street-11
http://www.homeinspirations.co.za/index.php/282-gods-creation-in-the-wild/40777-a-day-in-the-life-of-game-ranger-chad-cocking-2