There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The white young male lion from the Birmingham pride seen recently again
Unbelievable to see how these cubs have grown in the past few months but awesome to catch up with the Birmingham pride again. With over 100 mm of rain in the past week, tracking and viewing has been nothing short of a struggle
*This image is copyright of its original author

Image by: Roan Du Plessis.
Ngala
October 2020

5 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-07-2020, 11:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The white young male lion from the Birmingham pride seen recently again
Unbelievable to see how these cubs have grown in the past few months but awesome to catch up with the Birmingham pride again. With over 100 mm of rain in the past week, tracking and viewing has been nothing short of a struggle

Ngala
October 2020

One of the Ross males is his father, right? Do they know which one, by chance? I have been watching Painted Wolf's YT, hoping for an update on the injured Birmingham male, but haven't heard anything lately. As you and @Tr1x24  have posted, his limp seems to be getting a lot better, which is great as it gives me hope for his future.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-08-2020, 12:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 11:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The white young male lion from the Birmingham pride seen recently again

Ngala
October 2020

One of the Ross males is his father, right? Do they know which one, by chance? I have been watching Painted Wolf's YT, hoping for an update on the injured Birmingham male, but haven't heard anything lately. As you and @Tr1x24  have posted, his limp seems to be getting a lot better, which is great as it gives me hope for his future.

He is very similar to the cranky of the Ross males,most likely he is the father,However,Both Ross have sired the cubs on the Birmingham pride. 
Yes the young Birmingham male is walking extremely well,his limp don't seems to affect him as once did,However,Is a terrible injury for a male lion especially when he will be nomadic
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

@BA0701 Here is a video of the young Birmingham male 
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(10-08-2020, 12:17 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Ngala
October 2020

He is very similar to the cranky of the Ross males,most likely he is the father,However,Both Ross have sired the cubs on the Birmingham pride. 
Yes the young Birmingham male is walking extremely well,his limp don't seems to affect him as once did,However,Is a terrible injury for a male lion especially when he will be nomadic

For as long as he has held out, taking a few beatings in the process, from being kicked out of the pride, if he is able to hang on for just a bit longer perhaps he can take a couple of his sub-adult brothers with him, which would certainly be helpful for all of them.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-08-2020, 12:21 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 12:17 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Ngala
October 2020

For as long as he has held out, taking a few beatings in the process, from being kicked out of the pride, if he is able to hang on for just a bit longer perhaps he can take a couple of his sub-adult brothers with him, which would certainly be helpful for all of them.
Totally agree.
Who knows,Perhaps we will see another strong coalition leadering by a older brother
Will be fascinating that he can left his natal pride once for all but with his brothers that it will much better for him and the injured leg I'm 100% sure of it... Also a young male from the Birmingham breakaway pride is been seen on Ngala recently,I hope he can once join with his half-bros/cousins...
Note: I didn't post the photo here?
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A beautiful portrait of this young male from the Birmingham breakaway pride at Ngala Tented Camp
Photo credits: Owen Dell
Ngala
October 2020

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(10-08-2020, 12:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: A beautiful portrait of this young male from the Birmingham breakaway pride at Ngala Tented Camp
Ngala
October 2020

Looks close to the same age as the injured male, perhaps a tad younger.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-08-2020, 01:01 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 12:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: A beautiful portrait of this young male from the Birmingham breakaway pride at Ngala Tented Camp
Ngala
October 2020

Looks close to the same age as the injured male, perhaps a tad younger.

Look like accurate,Or even they could be brother from the same litter as far I remember, the Birmingham pride break away  on the second part of 2018 trying to avoid to the 2 Ross males who were on the process of a take-over over the pride.
Anyway. I just doing my assumption which more or less look like pretty accurate too

Super Moderator

(10-08-2020, 12:19 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: @BA0701 Here is a video of the young Birmingham male 

Thank you Tino, he is looking really good here, such a massive head on him.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-08-2020, 01:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 12:19 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: @BA0701 Here is a video of the young Birmingham male 

Anytime my friend.
He will be a big specimen. The size of the head in these individual shows how big he is or could be on a future it depends on the age of each of the animal.

Ximpoko (a male lion who once was dominant male in Timbavati, until was killed by poachers) the paws of him were big like a dishes dinner!

Super Moderator

(10-08-2020, 01:44 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 01:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Anytime my friend.
He will be a big specimen. The size of the head in these individual shows how big he is or could be on a future it depends on the age of each of the animal.

Ximpoko (a male lion who once was dominant male in Timbavati, until was killed by poachers) the paws of him were big like a dishes dinner!
Haha, I had to look up Ximpoko, and indeed his feet were huge, he was an absolute tank.

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 02:56 AM by BA0701 )

Since we have been discussing Tmbavati, has there been any word on Giraffe Male and the few females that went to Sandrigham with him?

**EDIT**
Nevermind, the search button is your friend (as I always tell my wife), but I see that @Potato had posted about a week ago that he has not been seen in some months, so I would imagine it is because he went to Sandrigham. That property is private, and as @Tr1x24 found in his web sleuthing, that property has a history of poaching issues. I sure hope that Giraffe Male doesn't fall victim to that there.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 03:09 AM by Timbavati )

(10-08-2020, 02:52 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Since we have been discussing Tmbavati, has there been any word on Giraffe Male and the few females that went to Sandrigham with him?

**EDIT**
Nevermind, the search button is your friend (as I always tell my wife), but I see that @Potato had posted about a week ago that he has not been seen in some months, so I would imagine it is because he went to Sandrigham. That property is private, and as @Tr1x24 found in his web sleuthing, that property has a history of poaching issues. I sure hope that Giraffe Male doesn't fall victim to that there.

Well.
Sound worrying,However,According Rudi Hulshof on Ngala a month ago (If I remember) appeared a unknown pride of lions,He didn't put in contact with Ngala rangers to know if indeed was the Giraffe and BD pride.
So,would be really great if he did put in contact,Anyway he didn't it.
Afterall at this stage being positive  is very hard,especially when he wasn't seen for months

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 03:33 AM by BA0701 )

(10-08-2020, 03:03 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 02:52 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Since we have been discussing Tmbavati, has there been any word on Giraffe Male and the few females that went to Sandrigham with him?

**EDIT**

Well.
Sound worrying,However,According Rudi Hulshof on Ngala a month ago (If I remember) appeared a unknown pride of lions,He didn't put in contact with Ngala rangers to know if indeed was the Giraffe and BD pride.
So,would be really great if he did put in contact,Anyway he didn't it.
Afterall at this stage being positive  is very hard,especially when he wasn't seen for months

Couldn't agree more my friend. To borrow a phrase from @Tr1x24 , "I sure hope he doesn't end up on some *jerk's wall." That property has seen several associated with it arrested for poaching, which is precisely why it became so worrisome when they went over there. That property, Sandrigham, sounds incredibly shady. I assume the fence had a hole, allowing them through, but then they can't fix it, if that is the case, for fear of locking them out for good. Precarious situation, for sure.