There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Online
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

The Mapoza male was with the darker young lioness and later the other lighter female approached. This sequence played out, cautious approach, the female greetings and then acceptance. August 2020
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Mbiri males at Orpen

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

9 members of the Black dam pride of lions feeding on the remains of a Nyala they hunted and caught in the early morning hours, was only trumped by a herd of buffalo crashing the scene and chasing the well fed lion
credit: Rudi Hulshof

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Young Black Dam male

3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

So, this week Chad and I have decided to do a bit of collaboration. He was lucky enough to be exploring a very different area of our concession to myself and with that venture came a rare sighting of the Giraffe Pride. This is a very vibrant pride of ten lions, including the two Monwana males who seem to have taken over this pride in a fairly peaceful manner after the Black Dam male was killed about a month ago during a buffalo hunt. The pride does have one young male in their midst so it will be interesting to see what happens as he grows older. Generally speaking, male lions have very little time for younger males, especially when they are not their own. This is of course a very tricky time for a young lion as he will presumedly get pushed out of the pride and forced to live a very nomadic lifestyle while he searches for a territory of his own. This involves trying to feed himself and fending off every other territorial male he may encounter.

4 users Like Potato's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(10-03-2020, 03:25 AM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

So, this week Chad and I have decided to do a bit of collaboration. He was lucky enough to be exploring a very different area of our concession to myself and with that venture came a rare sighting of the Giraffe Pride. This is a very vibrant pride of ten lions, including the two Monwana males who seem to have taken over this pride in a fairly peaceful manner after the Black Dam male was killed about a month ago during a buffalo hunt. The pride does have one young male in their midst so it will be interesting to see what happens as he grows older. Generally speaking, male lions have very little time for younger males, especially when they are not their own. This is of course a very tricky time for a young lion as he will presumedly get pushed out of the pride and forced to live a very nomadic lifestyle while he searches for a territory of his own. This involves trying to feed himself and fending off every other territorial male he may encounter.

Handsome boys like their father. I hope they are tolerant towards their brother and don't do something rash.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-03-2020, 03:43 AM)Matimbalani Wrote:

Handsome boys like their father. I hope they are tolerant towards their brother and don't do something rash.

They look even too similar to their father. Lions of Thornybush clearly had pore gene pools up until they got their fence with Timbavati down. It is nice to see that male lions from Thornybush take over territory out side of Thornybush and Thornybush has new blood coming in through dominant males from different arenas.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So Tanda Tula said that BDM was killed after buffalo hunt, and not by Monwanas..

I still dont believe that Monwanas killed him, theres 0 evidence of that, besides rangers words that they "supposedly" seen tracks of Monwanas in that area..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-03-2020, 11:06 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

So Tanda Tula said that BDM was killed after buffalo hunt, and not by Monwanas..

I still dont believe that Monwanas killed him, theres 0 evidence of that, besides rangers words that they "supposedly" seen tracks of Monwanas in that area..

In some of the previous blogs they also said that BD male was killled by Monwanas so there is a lot of confusing misinformations regarding BD male death. I have no idea in what version to believe in the end.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(10-03-2020, 01:21 PM)Potato Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 11:06 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

In some of the previous blogs they also said that BD male was killled by Monwanas so there is a lot of confusing misinformations regarding BD male death. I have no idea in what version to believe in the end.

Yeah.
Chad said that the BDM was killed by the Monwana males and according Luke the BDM was killed by the Buffalo
So,until now the things not are clear
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

There have been some, but, very few lions were as photogenic as this male that used to roam around the reserve here @royalmalewane in South Africa. This guy was called the Timbavati male lion who died of natural causes in the drought of 2016.
Image and text by: Rudi Hulshof
Thornybush - Greater Kruger

Timbavati Online
Moderators

One of the 3 brothers who was previously part of the Western Pride. they are becoming n mighty team. They are now often seen in the northern part of Umbabat in the vicinity of the old Kruger cutline. They recently allowed a female with a one year old male teenager to join them when they killed a buffalo . It would appear that the female and cup are the two who recently broke away from the Western Pride. All in the family
Image by: Andre Podbielski
October 2020
6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The two Monwana males seen recently with the Giraffe pride at Shindzela Tented Camp.
Photo credits: Ziggi Hugo
Timbavati - Greater Kruger
October 2020

Timbavati Online
Moderators

One of the Avoca females sired by the old Avoca/Giraffe coalition 
Image credit: Ziggi Hugo