There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-08-2020, 03:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 02:33 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 02:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Since we have been discussing Tmbavati, has there been any word on Giraffe Male and the few females that went to Sandrigham with him?

**EDIT**
Nevermind, the search button is your friend (as I always tell my wife), but I see that @Potato had posted about a week ago that he has not been seen in some months, so I would imagine it is because he went to Sandrigham. That property is private, and as @Tr1x24 found in his web sleuthing, that property has a history of poaching issues. I sure hope that Giraffe Male doesn't fall victim to that there.

Well.
Sound worrying,However,According Rudi Hulshof on Ngala a month ago (If I remember) appeared a unknown pride of lions,He didn't put in contact with Ngala rangers to know if indeed was the Giraffe and BD pride.
So,would be really great if he did put in contact,Anyway he didn't it.
Afterall at this stage being positive  is very hard,especially when he wasn't seen for months

Couldn't agree more my friend. To borrow a phrase from @Tr1x24 , "I sure hope he doesn't end up on some *jerk's wall." That property has seen several associated with it arrested for poaching, which is precisely why it became so worrisome when they went over there. That property, Sandrigham, sounds incredibly shady. I assume the fence had a hole, allowing them through, but then they can't fix it, if that is the case, for fear of locking them out for good. Precarious situation, for sure.

I'll really hope so.
Those dumbs just wants ruins the wildlife
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The young Birmingham male seen recently on Ngala Private Game Reserve
'So awesome seeing this guy on one of my first drives back.
Looking much better then when I last saw him, but he has been hiding these past few days so hoping to see him again soon.'
Photo: Shaun Marshall
Ngala
October 2020

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Such a treat being back on @andbeyondngala and driving guests around again. Although it’s been very rainy here the last couple days we have managed to have some fantastic sightings.
One sighting we had recently was of the Birmingham pride, first time in 3 months to this this beautiful young female again.
Photo: Shaun Marshall
Ngala
October 2020

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A really full belly on this male lion, one of 2, who had been feeding on a buffalo they had killed in the Timbavati Game Reserve only seen for a short while, this lion and his pride never really established themselves and were a nomadic pride for the period of time I got to spend with them. Known as the Mafikizolo males, with the Mafikizolo pride of lions
credit: Rudi Hulshof

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the Skorro males seen a month ago on the Northern part of Timbavati
credit: Wildlife Huibs

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The lions were a little trickier, and despite hearing distant roars of the Nharhu males throughout the week, it was only on the very last morning that we were able to locate the pride with the cub looking as good as ever.  They were resting – fat-bellied – on the very southern boundary of our concession in an area that they have seldom ventured before.  Their erratic and unusual movements have made keeping track of them very difficult over the past few weeks, so we hope that they start to settle into more predictable routines soon.  As always, when gaps are created, lions find ways of filling these, and the young lionesses of the Giraffe Pride ventured into parts of their territory (and deeper into our concession) than they have done for some time.  We caught up with the pride on a couple of occasions this week as they seem to be avoiding the attention of the pride’s new dominant males, the Monwana males.

3 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A young female from the giraffe pride watching nearby hyena
credit: Greg McCall-Peat

Gijima Offline

Young Birmingham looking good, still with his natal pride (credit Wild Earth 10/10/20):

Look at his scars:

Anyone have updates on the “mean” Ross Male? Looks like he hasn’t been seen for a while.
4 users Like Gijima's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Young Birmingham male seen recently looking healthy and well fed.
Image by: Roan Du Plessis 

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-15-2020, 09:37 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Young Birmingham male seen recently looking healthy and well fed.

Great pictures of this guy, he is looking better, more filled out in literally every new picture I see of him. So glad to see this, it was shaky regarding him, for awhile there.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-15-2020, 09:37 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Young Birmingham male seen recently looking healthy and well fed.

So similar in look to Dark Mane Avoca male.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 01:51 PM)Potato Wrote:

So similar in look to Dark Mane Avoca male.
Indeed.
He look so similar to DM Avoca and Brutus of the Giraffe coalition.
after all both are related each-other!

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

We were all awoken to the sound of a male lion roaring closer and closer to camp at around 4am this morning, but his roars disappeared out to the south-east, which is where the River Pride has seemingly set up a base of late. They started the week that side as the pride rested off a large meal and spent much of the remainder of the week leaving tracks in this area of the Timbavatiadjacent to the Kruger National Park.

Other news for the week was that the Giraffe Pride spent several days within our concession, and Scotch got to watch them catch a zebra and a kudu on two successive mornings, this followed on from a sighting of the pride on a wildebeest kill earlier in the week. As mentioned, the River Pride was out in the east, but with the ground being as wet as it was, getting sightings of them proved a challenge.  With no rain forecast for the coming week, we should be able to get more viewings of them over the coming days.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Birmingham pride this morning near Orpen Gate, Kruger Sightings :

3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-11-2020, 06:42 AM)Gijima Wrote: Young Birmingham looking good, still with his natal pride (credit Wild Earth 10/10/20):

Look at his scars:

Anyone have updates on the “mean” Ross Male? Looks like he hasn’t been seen for a while.

According to this video, the narrator claims that the young Birmingham Male is walking quite well. However, the main reason I bought it here, is that he claims they saw the tracks of the "Ross Males". So, it sounds like both of them are together. You have to listen closely, because the audio is broken up a little, obvious technical difficulties. Hope this helps my friend.

5 users Like BA0701's post