There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States IñigoMontoya Offline

https://www.facebook.com/mhangeniboys/?h...fQ&fref=nf

Curious. Avoca males are very tolerant.

United States Peteporker Offline

(08-16-2018, 07:38 AM)leocrest Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 07:19 AM)jordi6927 Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 04:21 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Peteporker this mala mala article means that mfumo is not with torchwood pride. 

As much as I hate to say this ... and Im really hoping he is out there with some new pride ... but as time goes on and with no visual of Mfumo, then hope turns into a sad reality.  Has he ever done this before??
Yes, he’s wandered off before. He’s the only Birmingham to be gone for long stretches. He’ll be back around.
i recall seeing a safari update early this year or late last year that a few of the Birmingham males (don't know which ones) being located really far north. I want to say it was like Imbali Lodge or something like that. In any case, I hope is a live and ventured there again as he hasn't been seen for a long time now and we can rule out him being with the Torchwood.

Australia Herekitty Offline

Kambula lioness and cub, presumably Birmingham sired. Credits: Londolozi, image by Don Heyneke, posted August 16, 2018
Life is full of beautiful moments, some just stand out!

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Herekitty's post

Avoca male looking decidedly like another Mohawk wearing lion we know. Image by Zaheer Ali, posted August 20, 2018

3 users Like Herekitty's post

Londolozi:  Tsalala Males Return and Kill Zebra

It was a rainy cold day, unusual for winter, and Alfie Mathebula was driving in a particularly thick section of the reserve, trying to find a leopard.

Tracker Terrence Mahlaba spotted some vultures sitting in a dead Knobthorn tree, and although grey, wet weather often sees vultures spending the day tree-bound as conditions aren’t conducive towards flying, Terrence and Alfie thought that there were a few too many for this to be the case. Also, there were a number of different species together, which is usually indicative of a carcass.

Investigating further, the pair were thrilled to come across three young male lions, which were duly identified as the Tsalala males, feeding on the remains of a zebra carcass.
It’s been a while since this coalition was seen on Londolozi, but with the Birmingham males operating mainly in the eastern parts of the reserve and the Matimba males staying firmly in the western sector, there seems to be a safe neutral ground for an itinerant coalition in Londolozi’s western half.

As can be seen by the scraggly nature of this individual’s mane, he still has some growing to do.

Ranger Guy Brunskill headed down to the scene of the kill the next day and reported the following: “When we got there the males were extremely full-bellied, just lying around. We could tell how hungry they must have been as they had literally fed on every last scrap of meat on the carcass; the facial skin and anything else they could scrape off the bone. One male came to lie near our Land Rover, and he was so full that when he tried to roll over, he couldn’t!”

[i]Nomadic males like this have to take full advantage of every feeding opportunity they can get, which means consuming every last scrap of edible meat from a carcass.[/i]

[i]Despite being part of what is essentially a team, each individual will jealously guard the bit of meat he is feeding on. One of the males keeps a close eye on his brother while gnawing on the zebra’s jaw.[/i]
[i]
[/i]

[i][i]The final male didn’t seem too interested however, and had most likely already eaten his fill.[/i][/i]

[i][i]
[/i]
[/i]

[i][i]The next morning the males were gone, having completely devoured the zebra, but an absolutely superb tracking effort by Innocent Ngwenya, Euce Madonsela and new Londolozi tracker Tshepo Dzemba found them on a waterbuck kill far to the west.[/i][/i]
[i][i]
The trackers had followed on foot for approximately 8 kilometers(!), staying doggedly on the trail through the heat of the day long after all the vehicles had returned for breakfast. It was well after noon before the radio call came through to the camp that they had been successful.

As mentioned above, with far bigger coalitions operating to their east and west, it is hoped that these young males remain in the comparative safety of this central zone in the reserve. With only their sister continuing her lonely wanderings through the northern parts of Londolozi, and the pride they originated from effectively gone, there is very little genetic pressure for them to move elsewhere, so it is more than likely that rival coalitions will be the determining factor in their movements from here on out.
[/i]
[/i]
6 users Like Peteporker's post

Southern Avocas. Credit: Sabi Sands Game Reserve, video by ginacolella, posted August 21, 2018
5 users Like Herekitty's post

jordi6927 Offline

(08-22-2018, 05:02 AM)Herekitty Wrote: Southern Avocas. Credit: Sabi Sands Game Reserve, video by ginacolella, posted August 21, 2018

They are really impressive lions ... its great that they have a pride of their own now ... hopefully they can hold on to it and protect their cubs.
1 user Likes jordi6927's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Apparently they are no longer 9 or 8 sub adults Mhangeni, they are already only 6.

4 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Chris Offline

(08-26-2018, 09:49 PM)Cunaguaro Wrote: Apparently they are no longer 9 or 8 sub adults Mhangeni, they are already only 6.

Is their proof of that?

Nkuhuma Pride. Credit: Eagle Eye Safaris, posted 27 August, 2018.

Roaring lions woke Karen up at 2am and again at 3am, so we started the day by looking for them. We found the Nkuhuma Pride stalking male Nyalas. One young bull was no match for the speed and cunning of the older lionesses.
Eleven lions on a Nyala makes for a quick meal.

7 users Like Herekitty's post

( This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 09:23 PM by Cunaguaro )

(08-27-2018, 10:15 PM)Chris Wrote: Is their proof of that?

Yes, the official blog of Sabi Sabi.

https://www.sabisabi.com/blog/17226/a-week-in-the-bush-vol-220/

https://www.sabisabi.com/blog/17287/a-week-in-the-bush-vol-221/
2 users Like Cunaguaro's post

(08-28-2018, 09:14 PM)Cunaguaro Wrote:

The August 22, 2018 week in the bush blog said that they viewed only 5 members. I hope they only split up temporarily, but it is definitely not looking good for these subs.
1 user Likes Peteporker's post

United States swtlei4u Offline

(08-28-2018, 10:29 PM)Peteporker Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 09:14 PM)Cunaguaro Wrote:

The August 22, 2018 week in the bush blog said that they viewed only 5 members. I hope they only split up temporarily, but it is definitely not looking good for these subs.
Their was a post that said 1 female was shadowing the 2 ximungwe lioness and 1 lioness went back to her mom on the magheni pride and their was 2 that the othawa chased out and the rest was roaming around. whats sad is when their older sibling left the magheni pride to start their nomadic start their was a feast of buffulose and that the kambula were taking not 1 but multiple bovines! and now their seemed to have been a famine when these youngsters started their nomadic days but history hasnt been kind to large prides of nomads so its probably a good thing they split up to survive.
1 user Likes swtlei4u's post

(08-28-2018, 10:29 PM)Peteporker Wrote: The August 22, 2018 week in the bush blog said that they viewed only 5 members. I hope they only split up temporarily, but it is definitely not looking good for these subs.

That's right, in the facebook group they mentioned that one of them had been injured when hunting a buffalo female and that he separated for a day or two. They believed that he had died from the injuries but then he appeared again with the other five.

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

The nomadic mhangenis are in really bad situation. Starving and full of mange. They are too young and weak to live by their own. Many of them could die yet.

2 users Like T Rabbit's post