There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States Matimbalani Offline

(09-12-2018, 12:48 PM)Herekitty Wrote: This looks to be the dominant darker skinned northern young Avoca male who was spotted by Safari Live on his own in Djuma a few months back. He has a menacing look about him and I think it was Brent Leo Smith who said that he was the tallest lion he'd seen at Djuma since Hairy Belly Matimba. To my eye he looks like he could be a relative of the Mbiri males.

The African king... A wonderful sighting close to the Buffelshoek Tented Camp, Manyeleti Game Reserve. Credits: image by Armand Grobler posted September 11, 2018.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Was he the one separated from the other two when they ran into B-Boys earlier this year? I think there is a dynamic there of two of the coalition being much closer probably because they are litter mates.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

Australia Herekitty Offline

@Matimbalani the other two bros certainly look very similar compared to the dark skinned male. I think they've been mating with two lionesses from the Talamati pride, while hey has been hanging around Nkuhuma Amber Eyes.

Meanwhile the southern Avocas seem to be doing fairly well around Kirkman's Camp after returning from Kruger. This despite the threat the Mantimahles present. They've also been seen in Sabi Sabi in the past few weeks and have fathered cubs with the Eyrefield Pride. Credit: images by Jonty Wild at Kirkman's Camp, posted September 12, 10 and August 31, 2018.

5 users Like Herekitty's post

Ranger Stuart Buy has reported that one of the Othawa cubs was killed by elephants at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve.
My last sighting of all 3 cubs. Credit: image by Stuart Buy, posted September 14, 2018

2 users Like Herekitty's post

Pop goes the... bambi, a baby nyala on a cold morning doesn’t go a long way with 11 hungry lions.
Styx Pride. Credit: video by Jamie Sangster at Arathusa, posted September 15, 2018

1 user Likes Herekitty's post

So very sad to hear this beautiful lion - the very first lion I saw on my first ever game drive on safari has been reported dead after being snared I despise these people who do such cruel things to animals he was a majestic lion. Charleston lion. Credit: video by Lucas Sadie at Lion Sands, posted September 15, 2018
3 users Like Herekitty's post

(09-16-2018, 03:41 AM)Herekitty Wrote: So very sad to hear this beautiful lion - the very first lion I saw on my first ever game drive on safari has been reported dead after being snared I despise these people who do such cruel things to animals he was a majestic lion. Charleston lion. Credit: video by Lucas Sadie at Lion Sands, posted September 15, 2018

Any confirmation from other sources?

There's no confirmation of his death, an alert was put out by concerned groups after he was spotted with a snare around his neck 3 or 4 days ago.

( This post was last modified: 09-27-2018, 01:00 AM by Herekitty )

Unknown male seen around Nkorho and Chitwa Chitwa recently. 
Credit: image by Kevin Schultz at Chitwa Chitwa, posted September 17
Today’s morning game drive and bam!! He gave me a great gift. What a beautiful animal. .

Credit: image by Pieter Dannhauser at Nkorho posted September 17, 2018

Avoca male lion backing away from a buffalo standoff Credit: image by Gary Mills at Djuma posted September 17, 2018

One of the Avoca males on evening patrol Credit: image by Gary Mills at Djuma, posted August 29, 2018

As promised in our last post... Here’s footage of the Styx pride competing for a bushbuck kill over the weekend. Credit: Video by ranger Lucky Makukula at Malamala, posted September 17, 2018

United States swtlei4u Offline

(09-16-2018, 04:13 AM)Matimbalani Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 03:41 AM)Herekitty Wrote: So very sad to hear this beautiful lion - the very first lion I saw on my first ever game drive on safari has been reported dead after being snared I despise these people who do such cruel things to animals he was a majestic lion. Charleston lion. Credit: video by Lucas Sadie at Lion Sands, posted September 15, 2018

i thought someone posted that it wasnt a snare but a purcupine quil?

(09-18-2018, 08:32 PM)swtlei4u Wrote:

Yes, that was in the Charleston Males thread.

( This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 08:07 AM by swtlei4u )

(09-18-2018, 09:30 PM)Matimbalani Wrote:

so it was a quill and he isn't dead? where is tokshawane when we need him! he the guy that can clear things up!

so it was a quill and he isn't dead? where's tshokwane he can probably clear this up?

(09-19-2018, 08:10 AM)swtlei4u Wrote:

so it was a quill and he isn't dead? where's tshokwane he can probably clear this up?

I have absolutely no idea. The object protruding from his back looks like a porcupine quill, but at the same time his mane looks a bit ruffled up with sections of his neck showing. That instagram post is from someone who as far as I could tell is not in SS and I have yet to read the news anywhere else.