There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Australia Herekitty Offline

Some good news: the third Othawa cub has been found alive and well. Seems he wasn't crushed by the elephants, merely separated from the rest.
Miracles do happen. Johan and Walter found the Othawa pride and were speechless when they noticed that the missing cub had been found.
Credit: image by Stuart Buy at Leopard Hills, posted September 19, 2018

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Herekitty's post

This instagram picture of the young northern Avoca male was tagged with the location of Sabi Sands Game Reserve, which if true means they are getting very confident pushing south. Or the more likely scenario is that the photographer took it in the north and tagged it incorrectly. In any case, these boys are clearly coming into their prime. Credit: image by Vernon Cresswell, posted September 20, 2018.

5 users Like Herekitty's post

A sequence of the fuller-maned Avoca male sitting on a granite boulder in the Sand River. Credit: images by Josh van der Ploeg at Kirkman's Camp, posted September 19, 2018

4 users Like Herekitty's post

Poland Djumafan Offline

First of all, I want to say Hello to everyone!

I'm glad that I found your forum because I'm big fan of Sabi Sand big cats. I especially focus on Djuma, Nkorho area. I'm safarilive viewer since 2016, I watch this show mostly every day. My favourite lion pride are Nkuhumas of course :) 

And I have some interesting update about them for you. 

22 september, Djuma - Nkuhuma pride, 10 individuals. Very interesting is that one subadult male joined this pride in last time! Lioness tolerate him. We believe that he comes from Talamati pride, because he looks like one of their older subadult males. I think he ran off from the Northern Avoca males to the South, into Djuma. 

Newcomer

6 users Like Djumafan's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Hello @Djumafan
Welcome to the forum, we love to have another bigcat lover here and hope together we will share lot of valuable information about Lions.
2 users Like sanjay's post

Poland Djumafan Offline

Thank you @sanjay!

In last week we had a lot of lions activity at Nkorho. Torchwood pride spent a lot of time there... and two mysterious male. Nkorho rangers said that they are skittish.. I wonder who that may be? This guys spent some time with two Torchwood lioness and once with one lioness from Nkuhuma Pride. I have some screenshots of this boys to show you:

7 users Like Djumafan's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

This young talamati male is son of selati males, isn't?
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

Michael Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 07:54 PM by Michael )

(09-24-2018, 05:03 PM)T Rabbit Wrote: This young talamati male is son of selati males, isn't?
Yes I believe so.

How cool would it be if the Nkuhuma male the Talamati and the Othawa male would somehow find each other and form a coalition ?

Anyways this is great the Nkuhuma male might not have to leave the pride alone
5 users Like Michael's post

Poland Djumafan Offline

24 september, Nkuhumas for last minutes of sunset safari, they were in northerrn part of Djuma - that young male who I believe comes from Talamati Pride is still with the Nkuhuma Pride.

Nkuhuma young male

Both young males on the same pic

6 users Like Djumafan's post

United States Peteporker Offline

Southern Avoca mating with Eyrefield lioness. Looks like she lost her cubs.

photo by Eckson Sithole

3 users Like Peteporker's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(09-27-2018, 01:23 AM)Herekitty Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 01:12 PM)Herekitty Wrote:

Credit: image by Pieter Dannhauser at Nkorho posted September 17, 2018

I wrongly said this guy was a northern Avoca male, while according to Simbabmbili lodge he is an unknown male, so it's interesting to read that he might be a Talamati subadult who has joined the Nkuhumas. Not sure if this has been confirmed. Credit: image by Mike Cowden at Simbambili, posted September 26, 2018.

Talamati senior. Credit: image by Josh van der Ploeg at Kirkman's Kamp, posted September 26, 2018

Good to see that the Selati's finally have a surviving off-spring. Any updates on the whereabouts of the last Selati?

( This post was last modified: 09-27-2018, 02:11 AM by Herekitty )

I thought I recently read something about the whereabouts of the remaining Selati male, but I can't seem to find it.

The new young male seen around the Nkuhuma pride is settling in well dispite the fact that some of the pride females still wont accept his presence. Credit: Nkorho Bush Lodge, posted September 22, 2018

I read elsewhere that the young male was getting snarled at by one of the Nkuhuma females, but the young Nkuhuma male had befriended him.
5 users Like Herekitty's post

( This post was last modified: 09-29-2018, 03:27 AM by Herekitty )

The Nkuhumas have been displaying some compassion for young male interlopers lately. Excerpts from Safari Live show the Nkuhumas tolerating two mange ridden sub-adult Mhangeni males.

6 users Like Herekitty's post

Poland Djumafan Offline

They are Mhangeni boys, sons of Majingilane. They are looking soo poor right now, and looks like one them just died in last weeks.. You can read story of this boys here  https://www.facebook.com/mhangeniboys/
3 users Like Djumafan's post

Michael Offline

(09-28-2018, 01:56 PM)Herekitty Wrote: The Nkuhumas have been displaying some compassion for young male interlopers lately. Excerpts from Safari Live show the Nkuhumas tolerating two mange ridden sub-adult (perhaps Styx?) males.

The Styx are looking way better than these two, they are riddled with mange, plus why would two of the Styx leave their pride.

They are probably two of the mhangeni sub-adults.

Interesting lion dynamics happening at the moment, a future coalition of male lions from three different prides I don't know how rare that is but it would be cool to see.
2 users Like Michael's post