There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Chris Offline

Wow man if they were born a bit earlier that would have been perfect the Ottawa male but hopefully they stay around a bit.
1 user Likes Chris's post

Chris Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2018, 08:09 AM by Chris Edit Reason: Forgot )

And there’s no way the Ottawa females can trick the matimbas that those cubs are theirs when really they’re not? @Tshokwane

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

These othawa cubs are the last cubs the majingilanes sired? the sub adult was obviously earlier but he's majingilane too right? It's impossible to even speculate the father isn't it? could of been any one of the majingilanes.  The mhangeni sub adults are majingilane sired too right? this othawa sub adult is now on his own, his chances surely must be slim with HB and Ginger in the vicinity?
1 user Likes Leroy's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(06-14-2018, 03:27 PM)Leroy Wrote: These othawa cubs are the last cubs the majingilanes sired? the sub adult was obviously earlier but he's majingilane too right? It's impossible to even speculate the father isn't it? could of been any one of the majingilanes.  The mhangeni sub adults are majingilane sired too right?

Yes to all of it, except maybe about the father. To me he looks like either Golden mane or Hip scar, he definitely has HS eyes.

(06-14-2018, 03:27 PM)Leroy Wrote: this othawa sub adult is now on his own, his chances surely must be slim with HB and Ginger in the vicinity?

Yes, which is why I hope he gets expelled so he can find brothers to form a coalition.

(06-14-2018, 08:05 AM)Chris Wrote: And there’s no way the Ottawa females can trick the matimbas that those cubs are theirs when really they’re not?

They have never mated with the mother of the cubs, only with the other lioness. 
Chances there always are, nature's fairly unpredictable after all, but those are slim chances anyway, especially because of their age. They're too small to even be able to keep up should the mothers decide to move off to keep them alive, which is something lioneses sometimes do.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

United States sundarbans Offline

Dark Mane used to spend the most time with the Othawa pride so if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the sub adult is his.
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

Chris Offline

Here is a video on how the Ottawa cubs are doing

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Matthew Brenna - Inyati.

Mami Othawa always with such a warm, lovely face  Funny

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

(06-14-2018, 05:59 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 03:27 PM)Leroy Wrote: These othawa cubs are the last cubs the majingilanes sired? the sub adult was obviously earlier but he's majingilane too right? It's impossible to even speculate the father isn't it? could of been any one of the majingilanes.  The mhangeni sub adults are majingilane sired too right?

Yes to all of it, except maybe about the father. To me he looks like either Golden mane or Hip scar, he definitely has HS eyes.

(06-14-2018, 03:27 PM)Leroy Wrote: this othawa sub adult is now on his own, his chances surely must be slim with HB and Ginger in the vicinity?

Yes, which is why I hope he gets expelled so he can find brothers to form a coalition.

(06-14-2018, 08:05 AM)Chris Wrote: And there’s no way the Ottawa females can trick the matimbas that those cubs are theirs when really they’re not?

Chances there always are, nature's fairly unpredictable after all, but those are slim chances anyway, especially because of their age. They're too small to even be able to keep up should the mothers decide to move off to keep them alive, which is something lioneses sometimes do.

Thanks for clarifying, on closer inspection, he does have the same colour of eyes as HS.  I hope he pulls through, is there anyone that he could team up with? join the mhangenis?

Chris Offline

(06-17-2018, 08:35 AM)Leroy Wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, on closer inspection, he does have the same colour of eyes as HS.  I hope he pulls through, is there anyone that he could team up with? join the mhangenis?
The mhangenis males is the likely coalition he can join, he’s older than them and in my eyes it would kinda be like makulu and the mapogos, he was the oldest in the coalition and the dominant one and he led the coalition, the same can be for the Ottawa male if he join the mhangenis.

( This post was last modified: 06-17-2018, 03:36 PM by Leroy )

(06-17-2018, 10:04 AM)Chris Wrote:

The mhangenis males is the likely coalition he can join, he’s older than them and in my eyes it would kinda be like makulu and the mapogos, he was the oldest in the coalition and the dominant one and he led the coalition, the same can be for the Ottawa male if he join the mhangenis.

Yeah, very similar to makhulu when he joined the mapogos.  The problem would be finding the manghenis? how would you find them given the manghenis are young and probably not roaring? these manghenis surely won't stay together though eh? the manghenis are still sub adult and have a long way to go until being expelled, even still, 8 of them peeling off and forming coalitions is going to be very interesting.  You think the manghenis will survive? I hope othawa holds out.  He is apparently nomadic now isn't he?

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(06-17-2018, 03:29 PM)Leroy Wrote: He is apparently nomadic now isn't he?

As all the pictures and videos show, no. He's still with the pride.

Chris Offline

(06-17-2018, 03:29 PM)Leroy Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 10:04 AM)Chris Wrote:

Yeah, very similar to makhulu when he joined the mapogos.  The problem would be finding the manghenis? how would you find them given the manghenis are young and probably not roaring? these manghenis surely won't stay together though eh? the manghenis are still sub adult and have a long way to go until being expelled, even still, 8 of them peeling off and forming coalitions is going to be very interesting.  You think the manghenis will survive? I hope othawa holds out.  He is apparently nomadic now isn't he?

The mhangheni males are relatively close to the Ottawa male righ? @Tshokwane

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2018, 08:48 PM by Tshokwane )

(06-17-2018, 05:59 PM)Chris Wrote: The mhangheni males are relatively close to the Ottawa male righ?

Not really, at least last time they were in the south, in Sabi Sabi.

I just saw that they were relatively close now again, so I guess there's always a chance. I would say it depends on him more than on the kids, because for now he doesn't seem to have any plans of moving off, the females don't push him off(they realize whan an asset he is both in protection and when hunting) and him going off will depend on rival males chasing him off, like I've said other times.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Joffers Photography.

The three Tsalala males had just finished off a warthog kill before going to a nearby dam for a drink. They then tried their luck with some zebra but missed after a few attempts.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Credits: Savanna Lodge

Written on 14 June 2018.
It seems that the month of May was definitely a ‘baby’ month! Although there were a few cubs seen last month, it has definitely continued and even improved. We knew last month that the one Ottawa female had dropped her cubs, but they were too young to come out of the den. On the 10th May they finally made it out and have been providing fantastic viewing since then. 

They are super-relaxed and are already giving the mother a few headaches when she wants to sleep and they need a drink of milk! Their aunt is also not too keen on the new arrivals, and shows them a clean set of teeth if they get too close to her. 

There are also many tender moments that melt our hearts, but remind us that we should not mess with the mother at all! For a short video of the cubs, please click here.

On the lion side, the Majingilane males have all succumbed or disappeared and, as expected, it didn’t take long for the void to be filled. Without the roaring of dominant males, the Matimba males from the east quickly moved west in search of space and females. Although these two brothers are also getting on in life (they are approximately 13 years old) they have taken over the area with confidence. They are strolling around as if it has been theirs all along, and vocalising regularly, as if announcing their presence to the wild. 

They quickly found the Ottawa female with no cubs and wasted no time checking her reproductive status. The Flehmen grimace is used to waft the chemicals found in the urine across the vomaronasal organ, which in turn allows the male to ‘test’ her reproductive readiness. Sadly, as these males are pretty old already, it is very unlikely that they will be able to sire and successfully protect their cubs to independence. 

The remaining nine Mhangene sub-adult lions have continued to surprise us and hold on, despite the odds against them. Although a few of them are looking pretty good, the smaller and weaker ones are still in need of a good meal. They are truly nomadic, moving as far south as the Sabi River and back again. But the good news is that if they get through this, they will truly be a serious pride to contend with!

5 users Like vinodkumarn's post