There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Morné Fouché - Elephant Plains.

The young Ottawa male letting the Nkuhuma pride know he is here, with an impressive roar.

Click on it to play.

Credits to A. Hennessy - Elephant Plains.

Click on it to play.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Chris Offline

(07-21-2018, 06:36 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Morné Fouché - Elephant Plains.

The young Ottawa male letting the Nkuhuma pride know he is here, with an impressive roar.

Click on it to play.

Credits to A. Hennessy - Elephant Plains.

Click on it to play.

He is taking a risk of being detected by the Birmingham’s, but man he is growing fast, I think there is the likelihood of him joining the 9 mangheni makes, is that still a possibility?
1 user Likes Chris's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Better watch out for the 3 avocas.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-22-2018, 01:23 AM)Chris Wrote: I think there is the likelihood of him joining the 9 mangheni makes, is that still a possibility?

The posibility is always there, but naturally decreases as time goes by, because the younger males will strenghten their bond and would look at him as a rival, if too much time passes.

(07-22-2018, 01:27 AM)sik94 Wrote: Better watch out for the 3 avocas.

Very true, which is why I want him to join up with other young males, his half brothers preferably.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Chris Offline

(07-22-2018, 03:44 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 01:23 AM)Chris Wrote: I think there is the likelihood of him joining the 9 mangheni makes, is that still a possibility?

The posibility is always there, but naturally decreases as time goes by, because the younger males will strenghten their bond and would look at him as a rival, if too much time passes.

Very true, which is why I want him to join up with other young males, his half brothers preferably.

So is the Ottawa male close the the magheni males?

PolicemanBob Offline

Wait, I thought there were two Avoca males? I thought one died/wandered off from the other two. And did the Avoca males move north, because I thought they were located near where the Charleston males were, not Londolozi.
1 user Likes PolicemanBob's post

jordi6927 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2018, 10:45 AM by jordi6927 )

(07-22-2018, 06:43 AM)Chris Wrote:

So is the Ottawa male close the the magheni males?

Last I read about the Mhangeni 9 they were in Londolozi  .... who knows where they are now as they move around pretty fast  .... http://blog.londolozi.com/2018/07/20/the...tures-344/

United States IñigoMontoya Offline

(07-22-2018, 06:55 AM)PolicemanBob Wrote:

Wait, I thought there were two Avoca males? I thought one died/wandered off from the other two. And did the Avoca males move north, because I thought they were located near where the Charleston males were, not Londolozi.

I think there are 5 Avocas in two coalitions. South Avocas (2 memebers) chased in last time by Charleston males and north Avocas (3 members) actually in Timbavati
4 users Like IñigoMontoya's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-22-2018, 06:55 AM)PolicemanBob Wrote: Wait, I thought there were two Avoca males? I thought one died/wandered off from the other two. And did the Avoca males move north, because I thought they were located near where the Charleston males were, not Londolozi.

Like Iñigo says, they are five brothers actually.

The older 2 left the pride earlier and are the ones on the south, while the other 3 are the ones in the north.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to James Tyrrell  - Londolozi.

What Happens When Two Lion Prides Decide to Share?:

The last time I saw 20 lions together was the Mhangeni pride with 12 cubs and all four Majingilane on a buffalo kill back in 2016.

To round a corner and come across twenty lions, except with no cubs and no big males, was quite a shock. Understatement.

To be honest I didn’t know there were twenty at first. I was bumbling round the north of Londolozi, looking for something to photograph, when suddenly there in front of me was a pride feeding on a downed buffalo bull. A group of maybe eight or ten lions were feeding on the carcass, and scattered in the grass around were a few more prostrate bodies, their bellies bloated with buffalo meat.

In the initial excitement of the discovery, I was too excited to pay much attention to the exact breakdown of numbers. My initial assumption was that this was the Nkahuma pride, who had been on Londolozi for the past few days, and although I hadn’t seen them myself I knew them to be to be about ten- or eleven-strong.

One of the Nkahuma sub-adults lies replete in the road, not interested in any more buffalo meat for the time being.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Repositioning the Land Rover to a better photographic spot, I saw more heads dotted around, and at first count I made it 14 lions. Something was definitely up! No pride on Londolozi currently numbers that many.

Looking at the feeding group again, it was clear that there was an above-normal level of aggression around the buffalo carcass. With so many lions with full bellies, and so much meat already having been consumed, what would normally happen would be the odd snarl between individuals feeding next to each other but not too much more, especially since no big males were involved. What was happening instead was a constant sinister growling; the low throaty rumble that only comes from a lion when it is properly angry. That behaviour and the fact that there were way more lions than there by rights should have been (I had by now counted 16), suddenly made it obvious that there were two prides here.

Ranger Andrea Sithole joined the sighting shortly afterwards, and approaching from the opposite side, counted a further four lions in the long grass, bringing the total to 20!

With them all being scattered around in thickets and covered in blood and dirt, I’ll be honest that I didn’t have a clue who was who. The great majority seemed to be sub-adults, and going on a combination of numbers and make-up, Andrea concluded that it was the Nkahuma pride (consisting of 5 adults and 6 sub-adults) feeding alongside the Mhangeni sub-adults (8 young males and 1 female).

A Nkahuma lioness growls across the carcass at a young Mhangeni male.

This is by no means the first time that this has happened on Londolozi, nor will it likely be the last, but I imagine that it would come down almost entirely to circumstance: risk vs reward.

In this instance, three factors combined that made both prides reason (probably the wrong word, but it makes the most sense) that to feed side by side with some kind of amicability was better than a violent confrontation.

Firstly, there were no cubs involved. Lionesses are fiercely defensive of their offspring, but in the Nkahuma pride, all the young lions were roughly the same age as those in the Mhangeni group. With neither side needing to defend small offspring, aggression levels would likely be lowered.

Secondly, there were no adult lionesses in the Mhangeni group. Had big Mhangeni females been present, the outcome would likely have been very different, as they would have had far less tolerance towards the Nkahuma lionesses than their younger and therefore less intimidating offspring.

Lastly, neither pride is territorial in the area, so this encounter may well have been a lion version of “I-won’t-tell-if-you-won’t”.
The Nkahuma pride may well be moving into the northern reaches of Londolozi, expanding into the void left vacant by the Tsalala pride (although the single Tsalala lioness is still roaming north of the Sand River), but as it stands, we have yet to see them exhibit any sort of territorial behaviour. The Mhangeni sub-adults are just that; not yet adults. They are therefore still too small to attempt to claim a territory. Plus they are almost exclusively male, which most likely means they will be pushed out of the area for good in a year or two.

From what we could tell, it seemed as though most of the lions on the south side of the carcass were from the Nkahuma pride (pictured), while those on the north were Mhangeni sub-adults, although amongst the younger lions it was very difficult to tell which group each was from.

Come nightfall, one of the big Nkahuma lionesses moved off into the shadows, and within minutes her soft grunting contact call was heard. On cue, the rest of her pride got up in response to the call and melted into the darkness, leaving the Mhangeni sub-adults still feeding or lying with full bellies. With so little meat left, as one can imagine after 20 lions had been tucking in for 12 hours, there was no point in sticking around, and the next day the Nkahumas had moved north and out of Londolozi once more.

We still aren’t sure which group killed the buffalo to begin with, but given the firepower of 5 adult lionesses, the smart money would probably be on the Nkahuma pride.

Although the hope is that we start seeing more and more of them on northern Londolozi, that probably won’t mean anything good for the young Tsalala lioness. All is not lost for her however; there’s no guarantee she won’t be able to reproduce and start a pride of her own, and going on the unpredictability of lion dynamics in the Sabi Sand Reserve in years past, who’s to say she won’t even join another pride? It’s happened before, with the Tsalala young male joining the Sparta pride and a young Sparta male joining the last group of Mhangeni sub-adults (the females of which eventually became the Ntsevu pride). With the nine Mhangeni sub-adults currently wandering the reserve, some extra experience would be a welcome addition to their would-be pride.

She’s still young, she’s still healthy and anything could happen. That’s what makes it so exciting.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Peteporker Offline

https://www.facebook.com/malamalagamereserve

MALAMALA TODAY: July 21st&22nd. We ended the week strong with 5 sightings of lions, 2 packs of Cape hunting dogs and 8 different leopards! Lions: 4 of the 5 sightings comprised of members of the Kambula pride and Gowrie male coalition. There is a strong possibility that a 3rd lioness has now given birth and we’re hoping that this spells a new chapter for this young pride that is yet to successfully raise a litter. The Styx pride were viewed midway along the Mlowathi River.
1 user Likes Peteporker's post

Chris Offline

All that im waiting for is the othawa make to join his half brothers just like his legendary grandfather Makulu.

PolicemanBob Offline

(07-24-2018, 12:59 AM)Chris Wrote: All that im waiting for is the othawa make to join his half brothers just like his legendary grandfather Makulu.

But will the Mangheni accept him? The Othawa male should join soon, before the Mangheni come of age

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-24-2018, 01:03 AM)PolicemanBob Wrote: But will the Mangheni accept him?

At this point, with them so young, yes I think so. 

They're still very young, just kids and he's also at that point, a bit older, but a big teen still.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 01:54 AM by Tshokwane )

Credits to Rob the Ranger.

Archive footage of the Othawa lion pride with a buffalo. 

At this point (2010) the two young sons of the Mapogo lion coalition were still a part of the pride. The half ear lioness passed away after getting horned by this buffalo during the takedown. 

Previously only a very brief section of the footage had been released!