There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States sundarbans Offline

I find the tone of the article is a bit too grim regarding how there so few lions are carrying the Tsalala name. Perhaps the name may not be applied to too many lions but two of the strongest prides present in the Sabi Sands are from the Tsalala lineage. I'd wager the Tsalala bloodline will live on for a long, long time.

There used to be another Tsalala female, born sometime between the Mhangenis and the young Tsalala males. What happened to her?

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

It's as natural as the demise of coalitions. 

Furthermore, it also shows how difficult it is for prides to sustain themselves without constatnt support from a stable coalition of males, not on hunting/feeding, but rather on pure survival terms, at least as a successful unit.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Yes, that observation about stability being required for survival is spot on. We can even see it with the Mhangeni pride of late. After the demise of the Majingilane, I think they have lost one female and might well lose another to the Kambulas.

United States swtlei4u Offline

(06-07-2018, 10:23 PM)sundarbans Wrote: I find the tone of the article is a bit too grim regarding how there so few lions are carrying the Tsalala name. Perhaps the name may not be applied to too many lions but two of the strongest prides present in the Sabi Sands are from the Tsalala lineage. I'd wager the Tsalala bloodline will live on for a long, long time.

There used to be another Tsalala female, born sometime between the Mhangenis and the young Tsalala males. What happened to her?

i think thats the young adult lioness that was with the tailed lioness from the 2011 litter and her own fathers the majingalane males kept trying to attack her! for some reason they didn't seem to think she was fathered by them! i am usually look forward to going on this forum but the death of the tsalala lioness was really hard pill to swallow! just like when i heard about the charleston lioness.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Kellyn Wolfram.

Othawa young male with his little brothers.

*This image is copyright of its original author

9 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States ShakaMapogo Offline
Scythian

(06-08-2018, 07:47 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Kellyn Wolfram.

Othawa young male with his little brothers.

Hope he can do the dominant male role and see them grow up. Love this guy, probably my favorite after his late fathers.

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Tshokwane hahaha the little cubs think the big othawa male is their fathers.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(06-09-2018, 02:12 AM)ShakaMapogo Wrote: Hope he can do the dominant male role and see them grow up.

I would hope that he doesn't, for his safety and also for his future as a reproductive male. 

I hope he's kicked out fairly quickly and forced to find brothers to start a coalition, otherwise everything will be more difficult to him, due to getting used to having an "easy" life, relatively speaking.
(06-09-2018, 03:19 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: hahaha the little cubs think the big othawa male is their fathers.

They are very drawn to him indeed, I wonder how long he allows them to pester him until he calls them off.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2018, 01:09 AM by Tshokwane )

Credits to Arie Smit - Nkorho Bush Lodge.

Sightings Update:

8 June 2018
Afternoon Drive:
-Went to go see the three young Tsalala Male Lions. They were moving through the bush very quickly.

8 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Morné Fouché - Elephant Plains.

The three handsome Tsalala males on a morning stroll. 
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States swtlei4u Offline

(06-10-2018, 01:11 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Morné Fouché - Elephant Plains.

The three handsome Tsalala males on a morning stroll. 
Just a little note! theres good reading on Londoliza blog about the tsalala pride legacy and to all to remember that the tsalala pride is not gone but a pride of 2 which the tsalala Lineage runs thru their veins!
1 user Likes swtlei4u's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Tash Berry Photography.

Othawa young male and the little monsters. They're all over him!

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Stuart Buy.

Othawa cubs and their older brother.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

What are the genders of the three Othawa cubs?

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(06-14-2018, 06:27 AM)sundarbans Wrote: What are the genders of the three Othawa cubs?

all 3 males..