There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Chris Offline

(05-28-2018, 09:21 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Franscois Rosslee - Lion Sands.

The Avoca male lions seen with full bellies on an early morning patrol on their territory.

*This image is copyright of its original author

How are their fathers doing?

United States IñigoMontoya Offline

what is the lump on his back?.

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Tsalala/Marthly males with sister and Tailless lioness
Posted 05/22/2018.,Singita Sabi Sands
Photo credit to African Moments Tailor-Made Travel & Events

5 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Chris Offline

(05-30-2018, 01:52 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote: Tsalala/Marthly males with sister and Tailless lioness
Posted 05/22/2018.,Singita Sabi Sands
Photo credit to African Moments Tailor-Made Travel & Events

Looks like the b boys lost interest in the tsalala pride because those kambula girls are deep in their hearts. So the tsalala boys are good for now.

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(05-29-2018, 10:52 PM)Chris Wrote: How are their fathers doing?

What there is about them is in the Lions of Timbvavati thread.

(05-30-2018, 01:12 AM)IñigoMontoya Wrote: what is the lump on his back?.

No idea, maybe some abscess. It isn't uncommon on them, maybe some blow or bump that is a bit infected below the skin, or something like that.

But I don't know.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to James Tyrrell - Londolozi.

Tailless Lioness Badly Injured:

Fate has not been kind to the Tsalala pride.

One only has to follow the trials and tribulations of these remarkable lions over the last few years to see that things have not always been easy for them.

I suppose life is never easy for any lions, but when you consider the apparent ease with which the Mhangeni pride has raised cubs, and how the Ntsevu females were seemingly gifted a territory and then a powerful coalition of four males, the Tsalala pride just seems to have drawn the short straw every time.

With what we thought could prove to be a nail in the coffin of the pride, the old Tailed female died earlier this year. Discussing the fate of what remained of the Tsalala lions, and given the fact that she was the Tailless female’s sister, the general consensus was that it was unlikely that the Tailless female would see this year through.

And now, in a situation heaped with ironies, it seems that that potentially doom-laden prophecy may be fulfilled.

The Tailless female was found this morning at Marthly Pools, the unofficial home of the Tsalala pride. Bleeding from multiple wounds on her flanks and hindquarters, she was walking agonisingly slowly, and seemed to be struggling to climb even the gentlest of slopes onto some large rocks.

As we watched, she slowly walked into a thick reed bed and lay down next to a dense spikethorn thicket.

Exactly where she lay was the site at which her mother’s body – the original Tailless female – was discovered, after a suspected run-in with the Mhangeni pride, her granddaughters.
In an incredible twist of fate, we believe that the current Tailless female’s injuries were sustained under the teeth and claws of the Ntsevu lionesses; her granddaughters! It’s almost a carbon copy of the situation of 2013.

Tracks nearby told of where the rest of the Tsalala pride had walked, but they had been found a good couple of kilometres away. “Pride” is probably a misnomer, as the grouping were the three Tsalala males and their sister, essentially the entire Tailed female’s litter from late 2013.

The males by all rights should be nomadic, yet have returned to their native Londolozi. The lioness is of reproductive age, but as yet has not showed any signs of falling pregnant. On her shoulders, it can be said, rest squarely the future of the Tsalala pride name.

The Tsalala males are probably too young to challenge for territory, Their futures will most likely be determined by the surrounding coalitions.

If one looks at the condition of the Tailed lioness from earlier this year when we wrote of her demise, the Tailless female is in much better shape. However, the extent of her injuries will seriously impede her in keeping up with the pride, and she will be unlikely to be able to hunt for herself. The rate at which a lion can recover from injury decreases rapidly in its final years, and recovery itself is almost a direct result of the amount of nutrition received, which the body needs in order to heal itself. With her lifeline of food suddenly in jeopardy, Freddy Ngobeni’s statement from this morning, “This is the end of Tsalala”, may sadly turn out to be true.

We will monitor her situation going forward.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Stuart Buy - Leopard Hills.

The young Othawa male seems to have broken away from the pride. He will start becoming more and more independent as he gets older looking for a territory to hold with his own females. He is currently keeping his head low and staying away from the two Matimba males who have moved into the area.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States leocrest Offline

(05-30-2018, 08:05 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Stuart Buy - Leopard Hills.

The young Othawa male seems to have broken away from the pride. He will start becoming more and more independent as he gets older looking for a territory to hold with his own females. He is currently keeping his head low and staying away from the two Matimba males who have moved into the area.

as stated here before, it would be wonderful for all if the tsalala males and the othawa male joined forces. it's really the only way i see them surviving.
2 users Like leocrest's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

No way to kambulas injuried the tailless female if she was with the 3 tsalala boys. Only bboys could did it against her.
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(05-30-2018, 11:28 PM)T Rabbit Wrote: No way to kambulas injuried the tailless female if she was with the 3 tsalala boys.

That is if she still was with the lads. They tend to get separated, and there was no mention of them or the other girl still being with the lioness when they saw her, so maybe they had already gone separate ways, or at least they separated for that day and she was acaught alone.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Frederik Aucamp - Sabi Sabi.

Mangheni young males.

This lion pride was found in an open area, on the move and trailing the scent of a herd of African Cape Buffalo found in the same area earlier that day. You could see the eagerness in their eyes. We hope they will be successful in their hunt…

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mohawk4 Offline

I dont know if its the right topic but i want to write for my favourite lions....
I m new in the forum and in the Lions world but i saw many videos and i read a lot of pages....
I believe that The young styx male(2008) and Freddy from KPN coalition were real life fighters and i want to give them my respect with my post

p,s i m not a fan of 4 5 6 males coalitions.....
1 user Likes Mohawk4's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(06-03-2018, 01:08 AM)Mohawk4 Wrote: I believe that The young styx male(2008) and Freddy from KPN coalition were real life fighters and i want to give them my respect with my post

Sure, that's what we're all trying to do.

I think that hidden between this pages there are a couple of posts about the Kruger male, and I also think that @Fredymrt wrote a post about the Styx male, but I'm not sure.

But feel free to write about them.

Welcome tot he forum.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to James Tyrrell - Londolozi.

The End of an Era: Tailless Lioness Dies:

The Tailless female has succumbed to her wounds.

Her body was discovered at Marthly Pools, on the banks of the Manyelethi River, within metres of where her mother was also discovered when she died in 2013 at almost exactly the same age.

Don Heyneke messaged me yesterday to tell me that her body had been found; pretty much at the same place where she was seen injured just over a week ago. It seems likely that she hardly moved at all from that spot, and at some point she would have simply drifted into unconsciousness for the last time.

A photo taken in the Manyelethi River a few weeks ago, very close to where she ultimately took her last breath.

When I heard of her death, I didn’t really know how to feel.

This was something the Londolozi rangers and trackers always knew was likely to happen this year, yet being confronted by the reality left me with a kind of numbness. It wasn’t so much a sense of grief, but rather incomprehension.

The realisation that I will be returning from leave to a Londolozi without either of the Tsalala sisters roaming it was something I couldn’t quite wrap my head around for awhile. Two lionesses who have helped shape my understanding of lions, their population dynamics and their place in an African wilderness are no more, and especially in the context of human wildlife-viewing, the world is poorer for their loss.

The old lioness surveys her domain from the Londolozi airstrip. Photograph by Callum Gowar

Since 2002 the soft footfalls of the two senior Tsalala females trod the game paths and dirt tracks of Londolozi and its surrounding reserves; their offspring delighted visitors from all over the world, and their daily struggles were front and centre in the ever changing saga that is the Lions of Londolozi.

And now just like that, the Tsalala pride is practically gone. One single lioness, a daughter of the Tailed female’s litter of 2013, stands as the only bastion of hope for this pride. Even the word “pride” is a misnomer now, as only one female doesn’t qualify for that title. Her three brothers that have recently returned and been accompanying her are unlikely to remain in the area, but the Tsalala lions have surprised us before, so I won’t be making any predictions just yet.

The Tailless lioness only a year ago. Still as strong and healthy as ever. Lions seem to deteriorate from injury at an exponentially faster rate when they start getting old. Photograph by Callum Gowar

Whatever the fate of the pride’s name, if one examines the history of the Tailless lioness and her sister, both can rest content, with around 20 of their offspring and descendants currently healthy and roaming the Sabi Sand Reserve, with even more than that possibly still alive and well in the Greater Kruger Park.

As a reproductive entity, an organism needs to reproduce itself and have that offspring reproductively viable in order to consider itself a genetic success, and the Tsalala lionesses have done that many times over.

The four cubs pictured here in 2013, accompanying their mother the tailed female, are all still alive. Three males and one female. They are all that still bear the Tsalala name.

I don’t want to turn this into a biology lesson, but while we may mourn the death of the Tailless female, and grieve the passing of a truly iconic period in the annals of the Lions of Londolozi, we can be immensely grateful to this incredible lioness and her sister. Whilst simply doing what they as lionesses were programmed to do, they furthered their species’ interests and secured their own legacy in spectacular fashion.

Tracked on foot many times over the course of her life, the first warning one would often get from the Tailless female of her proximity was a low growl emanating from a thick glass clump like this.

Modern technology is incredible. Never before have trackers, guides and lodges been able to document and share information in the way that they do now with email, Watsapp, or any one of twenty other different means. Pride movements, wild dog ranges, leopard cub updates; all are logged and communicated. Should a dramatic incident take place, it’s seldom long before the airwaves are buzzing with the news.

Yet never before in my 8 years in the bush have I seen such a collective sadness as when the news of the Tailless female’s death broke yesterday. Messages were flying through the bush, and rangers from multiple lodges I know were communicating with each other what happened, their condolences, and general good wishes in the wake of the passing of this lioness.

I find it wonderful that yesterday evening in Londolozi and the Sabi Sand Reserve as a whole, with the temperatures in the single digits, the night sky emblazoned with stars and the distant roars of the Birmingham males filtering through the chill, rangers and trackers and various staff all gathered together to have a quiet drink in celebration of the life a truly remarkable lion.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States swtlei4u Offline

(06-07-2018, 08:10 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to James Tyrrell - Londolozi.

The End of an Era: Tailless Lioness Dies:

The Tailless female has succumbed to her wounds.

Her body was discovered at Marthly Pools, on the banks of the Manyelethi River, within metres of where her mother was also discovered when she died in 2013 at almost exactly the same age.

Don Heyneke messaged me yesterday to tell me that her body had been found; pretty much at the same place where she was seen injured just over a week ago. It seems likely that she hardly moved at all from that spot, and at some point she would have simply drifted into unconsciousness for the last time.

A photo taken in the Manyelethi River a few weeks ago, very close to where she ultimately took her last breath.

When I heard of her death, I didn’t really know how to feel.

This was something the Londolozi rangers and trackers always knew was likely to happen this year, yet being confronted by the reality left me with a kind of numbness. It wasn’t so much a sense of grief, but rather incomprehension.

The realisation that I will be returning from leave to a Londolozi without either of the Tsalala sisters roaming it was something I couldn’t quite wrap my head around for awhile. Two lionesses who have helped shape my understanding of lions, their population dynamics and their place in an African wilderness are no more, and especially in the context of human wildlife-viewing, the world is poorer for their loss.

The old lioness surveys her domain from the Londolozi airstrip. Photograph by Callum Gowar

Since 2002 the soft footfalls of the two senior Tsalala females trod the game paths and dirt tracks of Londolozi and its surrounding reserves; their offspring delighted visitors from all over the world, and their daily struggles were front and centre in the ever changing saga that is the Lions of Londolozi.

And now just like that, the Tsalala pride is practically gone. One single lioness, a daughter of the Tailed female’s litter of 2013, stands as the only bastion of hope for this pride. Even the word “pride” is a misnomer now, as only one female doesn’t qualify for that title. Her three brothers that have recently returned and been accompanying her are unlikely to remain in the area, but the Tsalala lions have surprised us before, so I won’t be making any predictions just yet.

The Tailless lioness only a year ago. Still as strong and healthy as ever. Lions seem to deteriorate from injury at an exponentially faster rate when they start getting old. Photograph by Callum Gowar

Whatever the fate of the pride’s name, if one examines the history of the Tailless lioness and her sister, both can rest content, with around 20 of their offspring and descendants currently healthy and roaming the Sabi Sand Reserve, with even more than that possibly still alive and well in the Greater Kruger Park.

As a reproductive entity, an organism needs to reproduce itself and have that offspring reproductively viable in order to consider itself a genetic success, and the Tsalala lionesses have done that many times over.

The four cubs pictured here in 2013, accompanying their mother the tailed female, are all still alive. Three males and one female. They are all that still bear the Tsalala name.

I don’t want to turn this into a biology lesson, but while we may mourn the death of the Tailless female, and grieve the passing of a truly iconic period in the annals of the Lions of Londolozi, we can be immensely grateful to this incredible lioness and her sister. Whilst simply doing what they as lionesses were programmed to do, they furthered their species’ interests and secured their own legacy in spectacular fashion.

Tracked on foot many times over the course of her life, the first warning one would often get from the Tailless female of her proximity was a low growl emanating from a thick glass clump like this.

Modern technology is incredible. Never before have trackers, guides and lodges been able to document and share information in the way that they do now with email, Watsapp, or any one of twenty other different means. Pride movements, wild dog ranges, leopard cub updates; all are logged and communicated. Should a dramatic incident take place, it’s seldom long before the airwaves are buzzing with the news.

Yet never before in my 8 years in the bush have I seen such a collective sadness as when the news of the Tailless female’s death broke yesterday. Messages were flying through the bush, and rangers from multiple lodges I know were communicating with each other what happened, their condolences, and general good wishes in the wake of the passing of this lioness.

I find it wonderful that yesterday evening in Londolozi and the Sabi Sand Reserve as a whole, with the temperatures in the single digits, the night sky emblazoned with stars and the distant roars of the Birmingham males filtering through the chill, rangers and trackers and various staff all gathered together to have a quiet drink in celebration of the life a truly remarkable lion.

the demise of the tsalala pride can be blamed by the matimba's if they never arrived the young tailed lioness 2011 litter would still be around with young tsalala lioness 2013 litter but the subadult magheni lioness has joined the ximungwe females, the pride that BB the original tailess lioness originated from. it seems all the lion prides in sabi sands seemed to have have
suffered lately, the selati's, the Sparta's, the ximungwe, othawa's now the tsalala and also the Charleston's.