There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 09:21 PM by Potato )

https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/05/25/tsalala-and-cub-update/?fbclid=IwAR0uZQ9KyygEvGQDZaUkMyJa_Xod5JoqtHZxhm-trhViyEIaS10xTwixxn0

Update on Tsalala pride

Many of you will have seen on our social media pages that the Tsalala female was caught by the Ntsevu pride last week and mauled.
It was certainly one of the most dramatic sightings we’ve been witness to this year, and we were incredibly relieved to see the Tsalala female walk away at the end of it with what seemed like only minor injuries.
Despite how it may appear in the video, the Birmingham males didn’t seem to want to actually attack her themselves. One of them was only interested in mating with one of the Ntsevu females, and the other who seemed to be involved at the centre of the whole thing, looked like he was almost acting as a peacemaker, reluctant to engage with the Tsalala female, and even swatting out at some of the Ntsevu lionesses.

*This image is copyright of its original author

In the immediate aftermath of the fight, the Tsalala female walked upstream in the Sand River, distancing herself from the Ntsevu pride.
We suspected the cub was somewhere back close to where the altercation took place, but was most likely lying low, reluctant to move with the pride so close.

That afternoon we returned to the area, but there was no sign of either Tsalala lion, most likely because the Ntsevu pride were still up on the northern bank a couple of hundred metres away.
The next morning the pride had moved off and we could hear the Birmingham males roaring way down south, but still no sign of the Tsalalas. We checked north and south of the river, but not even a track.

Thankfully, the next day we received reports that the cub had been seen downstream from Londolozi in the Manyelethi riverbed, and although it wasn’t with its mother, her tracks had been seen nearby. The cub appeared in good health.

Then, finally, reports came in last night that both mother and cub were found together, both looking perfectly healthy, lying in the Sand River.
We have yet to see them united ourselves, but anticipate doing so soon.
11 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Great news
Thanks
4 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Argentina Txxx! Offline

The Birmingham males are approaching what are considered senior years for a male lion, but the pair are still very much in control of the central Sabi Sand reserve.
They recently sent the Othawa male running for his life from a young buffalo kill he had made, and thus far don’t seem to have been bothered by the slow advance of the Northern Avoca males.
Still spending the majority of their time with the Ntsevu pride, they have protected the pride well enough that their offspring are almost independent, and the adult lionesses should be coming back into oestrus soon...

Picture Credits Author: Londolozi Game Reserve (James Tyrell)
Date: 25/5/2020

6 users Like Txxx!'s post

Argentina Txxx! Offline

One of the Beautiful and proud Othawa pride members, The Well Princess "Sassy"

Picture Credits Author: Dulini Private Game Reserve (Alexander JR)
Date: 24/5/2020
4 users Like Txxx!'s post

New Zealand Selati Offline

(05-26-2020, 07:13 AM)Txxx! Wrote: The Birmingham males are approaching what are considered senior years for a male lion, but the pair are still very much in control of the central Sabi Sand reserve.
They recently sent the Othawa male running for his life from a young buffalo kill he had made, and thus far don’t seem to have been bothered by the slow advance of the Northern Avoca males.
Still spending the majority of their time with the Ntsevu pride, they have protected the pride well enough that their offspring are almost independent, and the adult lionesses should be coming back into oestrus soon...

Birminghams definitely showing they still have it recently, what with chasing the 4 N'waswitshaka Males and now the Othawa Male. Was expecting some interaction between the 2 due to the Othawa Male mating with the Kambula lioness recently. I think Northern Avoca expansion into Northern MalaMala and Londolozi is more due to the Nkuhuma Pride filling the void left there by the Styx Pride becoming nomadic. Don't think its the Northern Avocas actively trying to take over Birmingham territory.
2 users Like Selati's post

Argentina Txxx! Offline

(05-26-2020, 01:33 PM)Selati Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 07:13 AM)Txxx! Wrote: The Birmingham males are approaching what are considered senior years for a male lion, but the pair are still very much in control of the central Sabi Sand reserve.

Birminghams definitely showing they still have it recently, what with chasing the 4 N'waswitshaka Males and now the Othawa Male. Was expecting some interaction between the 2 due to the Othawa Male mating with the Kambula lioness recently. I think Northern Avoca expansion into Northern MalaMala and Londolozi is more due to the Nkuhuma Pride filling the void left there by the Styx Pride becoming nomadic. Don't think its the Northern Avocas actively trying to take over Birmingham territory.

Interesting times ahead in Sabi Sand. The Othawa male yet is 5 Years old and inexperienced . too for the N'waswishaka Boys have between 4 and 4.5 yet, in a couple of years they should be a force to be reckoned with.

2 - About Avoca,  Blondie still is Limping, and seems to be a Chronic limp. Mohawk is in good shape despite the TB. And Dark Mane in the South of Manyeleti... So in the case of can happend a fight between two Coalitions my point are for the Gowrie. Are in better shaoe than the N. Avoca at the moment.
2 users Like Txxx!'s post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2020, 02:34 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-26-2020, 01:33 PM)Selati Wrote: Birminghams definitely showing they still have it recently, what with chasing the 4 N'waswitshaka Males and now the Othawa Male. Was expecting some interaction between the 2 due to the Othawa Male mating with the Kambula lioness recently. I think Northern Avoca expansion into Northern MalaMala and Londolozi is more due to the Nkuhuma Pride filling the void left there by the Styx Pride becoming nomadic. Don't think its the Northern Avocas actively trying to take over Birmingham territory.

They already chased Othawa male few times before, hes playing with fire, Tinyo and Nhenha are not a joke.

Yea, N. Avocas only follow Nkuhumas south in empty territory, Avocas never step a foot on Bboys territory (if they would, Bboys will definetly intervene) , and with Blondie chronic limp, they dont have the power to face Bboys. 

Tinyo and Nhenha are in top condition and currently theres no males that can threat them in Sabi Sands,we'll see in future with 4 N'ws if they decide to push north.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(05-26-2020, 01:53 PM)Txxx! Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 01:33 PM)Selati Wrote:

Interesting times ahead in Sabi Sand. The Othawa male yet is 5 Years old and inexperienced . too for the N'waswishaka Boys have between 4 and 4.5 yet, in a couple of years they should be a force to be reckoned with.

2 - About Avoca,  Blondie still is Limping, and seems to be a Chronic limp. Mohawk is in good shape despite the TB. And Dark Mane in the South of Manyeleti... So in the case of can happend a fight between two Coalitions my point are for the Gowrie. Are in better shaoe than the N. Avoca at the moment.

Mohawk Avoca has TB? I didn't know that.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-26-2020, 06:57 PM)Matimbalani Wrote: Mohawk Avoca has TB? I didn't know that.

Wtf, from where he get that info??

Blondemane Offline

(05-26-2020, 02:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 01:33 PM)Selati Wrote: Birminghams definitely showing they still have it recently, what with chasing the 4 N'waswitshaka Males and now the Othawa Male. Was expecting some interaction between the 2 due to the Othawa Male mating with the Kambula lioness recently. I think Northern Avoca expansion into Northern MalaMala and Londolozi is more due to the Nkuhuma Pride filling the void left there by the Styx Pride becoming nomadic. Don't think its the Northern Avocas actively trying to take over Birmingham territory.

They already chased Othawa male few times before, hes playing with fire, Tinyo and Nhenha are not a joke.

Yea, N. Avocas only follow Nkuhumas south in empty territory, Avocas never step a foot on Bboys territory (if they would, Bboys will definetly intervene) , and with Blondie chronic limp, they dont have the power to face Bboys. 

Tinyo and Nhenha are in top condition and currently theres no males that can threat them in Sabi Sands,we'll see in future with 4 N'ws if they decide to push north.
avocas roam into mala mala, londolozi, on other hand BBoys never cross to avocas territory, recent and when they were 4 in coalition, i think Mfumo tried that and things gone wrong for him.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-27-2020, 04:03 AM)Blondemane Wrote: avocas roam into mala mala, londolozi, on other hand BBoys never cross to avocas territory, recent and when they were 4 in coalition, i think Mfumo tried that and things gone wrong for him.

Avocas are in the part of north Londolozi and MalaMala which is not a Bboys territory, thats old Styx pride territory, which was empty after they get nomadic in 2018,i  think its enough times said that... 

Theres no evidence whatsoever that Mfumo got killed by N. Avocas, it's highly unlikely..

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-27-2020, 04:03 AM)Blondemane Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 02:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

avocas roam into mala mala, londolozi, on other hand BBoys never cross to avocas territory, recent and when they were 4 in coalition, i think Mfumo tried that and things gone wrong for him.

The Birmingham and Mfumo never have been seen interested in take again the Northern Parts of the Reserve, If they have wanted that, They for sure had do 100%, In that moment the Birmingham males had a lot of advantage. Size, Number, and most importantly the experience

Also if there had been any fight between Avoca / Birmimgham, I'm sure they could have witnessed it.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Argentina Txxx! Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-27-2020, 10:01 AM by Txxx! )

(05-10-2020, 10:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Fourways pride with 2 males:

Majingilane daughter, sister of Fourways males :

2 males:

Its still a mystery if 1 of this lions is Torchwood male or not, i find that this second lion is in this video :

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...4685890740

Its clearly the same Lion, and in the video says its Torchwood male. 

But its not this hairy belly Torchwood male who was seen with Fourways pride before, he prob left with 2 Fourways young males into Kruger, or was ousted by this 2 males:

So either people confused this Hairy Belly Torchwood male with this male on the video, or are this 2 missing brothers of this Hairy Helly Torchwood male, or some unknown males, its still a mistery..

Remember correctly
. I have seen Images of this lion in 2019. Interesting how it has come to MalaMala. By the way.

Mohawk has a lump under his elbows. I guess that's TB, that's how they said it in Wildearth. (Sorry for delay in replying, That was due I am only allowed to comment or make 5 posts, IDK Why.)
1 user Likes Txxx!'s post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-27-2020, 09:50 AM)Txxx! Wrote:

2 males:

Its still a mystery if 1 of this lions is Torchwood male or not, i find that this second lion is in this video :

But its not this hairy belly Torchwood male who was seen with Fourways pride before, he prob left with 2 Fourways young males into Kruger, or was ousted by this 2 males:

So either people confused this Hairy Belly Torchwood male with this male on the video, or are this 2 missing brothers of this Hairy Helly Torchwood male, or some unknown males, its still a mistery..

Remember correctly
. I have seen Images of this lion in 2019. Interesting how it has come to MalaMala. By the way.

Mohawk has a lump under his elbows. I guess that's TB, that's how they said it in Wildearth. (Sorry for delay in replying, That was due I am only allowed to comment or make 5 posts, IDK Why.)

mmm OK.
You have any Image of them ?
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Argentina Txxx! Offline

(05-27-2020, 11:29 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 09:50 AM)Txxx! Wrote:

2 males:

Remember correctly

mmm OK.
You have any Image of them ?

Yes of course. Let me finish to edit them and i will post here!