There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-20-2020, 10:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 09:59 PM)Potato Wrote: I am not sure how acurate those informations are but acording to Tintswalo rangers Avoca males are mating with Torchwood females. On the video it self there are Talamati pride and Dark Mane Avoca.

Hmm, if its accurate, it must happened recently..

Yep, guide say "they raised cubs with Talamati and Nkuchuma pride and now seems to be mating with Torchwood pride females"
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2020, 11:24 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-20-2020, 10:57 PM)Potato Wrote: Yep, guide say "they raised cubs with Talamati and Nkuchuma pride and now seems to be mating with Torchwood pride females"

Lets wait and see, for now theres no reports or sightings of 2 Avocas with Torchwoods, besides this rangers words..

Also 2 Avocas are now seen mating with younger Nkuhuma lionesses. 

Torchwood pride is mostly seen in Nkorho lately, but no Avocas in this area. 

Torchwood young male in Norho yesterday with sisters:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Avocas where seen with Ximhungwe lionesses few times, so maybe he mistaken those 2..

I find it very unlikely that they are mating with Torchwoods.. Rangers from Chitwa and Nkorho would certaintly spotted that..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Update on Tsalala pride

2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-21-2020, 11:07 PM)Potato Wrote: Update on Tsalala pride

Thats great, but no update on Tsalala female.. Its seems that cub was alone.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Lone male lion on a kill in Sabi Sabi, at first i thought it was lone Sand River male, but its not, its neither 2 of Plains Camp youngsters, it seems to be the Nkuhuma young male:

Its strange to see him that far south, wonder ih Styx pride is near by, or they split, which would be shame, but this boy is very independant cat, he knows how to survive alone.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

I think he is Nkuhuma male, he has small scar under right eye. 

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2020, 09:37 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-22-2020, 08:42 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: I think he is Nkuhuma male, he has small scar under right eye. 

Yea, its him. 

His mane is starting to grow finally.

Is it just me or the more he gets older he looks less like Mfumo and more like beautiful Nsuku:

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Othawa pride

1 user Likes Potato's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(05-22-2020, 08:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Its strange to see him that far south, wonder ih Styx pride is near by, or they split, which would be shame, but this boy is very independant cat, he knows how to survive alone.

While he definitely needs a partner, he doesn't seem to care much for any and wanders all over the place. I do fear that eventually he will have a run in with some no-nonsense males (like the Charlestons) and get a bad mauling.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-22-2020, 10:31 PM)Matimbalani Wrote: While he definitely needs a partner, he doesn't seem to care much for any and wanders all over the place. I do fear that eventually he will have a run in with some no-nonsense males (like the Charlestons) and get a bad mauling.

Well yes, you have to be very lucky lion to succeed alone. This time is his best chance to find a partner, because theres few young males with nomadic prides wandering around such as Styx young male or 2 Plains Camp brothers or alone Sand River male.

But as you said, he is very indenpendet lion, even last year when we hope that he will form a coalition with Mhangheni Big Boy, he was starting to separate away from him more and more. So thats the question, if he didnt want a coalition with Big Boy with who he lived in a pride for almost a year and had a good bond, why would he form with some unknown male?? Just as people some lions like to be alone, even if that will be his downfall eventualy.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 01:40 AM by Tr1x24 )

Ximhungwe lioness with a cub in southwest Manyeleti:

Cub is around 4-5 months, so this is either N. Avocas or Hairy Belly's offspring, as this males where seen with her in late 2019.

Unfortunately no sign of her sister, which was seen in very bad condition 1 month ago in north Sabi Sands:

It very likely she didn't make it.. 

So that leaves Ximhungwe pride to only 1 lioness, joining Tsalala, Southern and Sparta females as only lioness still alive of its pride...
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-22-2020, 09:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 08:42 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: I think he is Nkuhuma male, he has small scar under right eye. 

Yea, its him. 

His mane is starting to grow finally.

Is it just me or the more he gets older he looks less like Mfumo and more like beautiful Nsuku:

He always have had those Nsuku eyes. I always seen Nsuku in him.
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Kambula pride vs Tsalala female

8 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Nkuhumas catching a warthog: