There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tigers of Central India

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(05-11-2016, 12:00 AM)Pckts Wrote: Remember that Jai is said to have weighed 238kg empty then reduced to 220kg for possible scale error and adjustments.
I think 238kg empty for any big cat is very large and big cats can eat up to 20% of their body weight (estimated)  so if jai were to have a big meal before being captured, he could be pushing the 600lb mark or 272kg.

But even according to eye witnesses there is still plenty of room for error.
I have been lucky enough to see some big cats lately (captive only), I must say that estimating one to be larger or smaller than another without them being side by side is very difficult.
One cat may be taller or longer or larger head etc, and that makes you say... He's the biggest but too many factors come into play.

Even if jai was larger or smaller than others, he still would be with in range of Kingfisher, Bheem, BMW, Waghdoh or many other C. Indian tigers and trying to determine 10-40kg difference between already large cats is a tough call.

Agreed 100%
4 users Like Roflcopters's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

@Roflcopters, i had that idea too. But do not know why I did not make the thread.
5 users Like parvez's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-11-2016, 06:39 AM)parvez Wrote: @Pckts,  tippeswara sanctuary is not a tiger reserve, so i excluded it. It is just a wildlife sanctuary. Anyways thanks for info

True but hopefully that will change soon.

From @save the tiger 
"If all goes well, Maharashtra might get its seventh reserve at Tipeshwar

Once under the purview of project tiger, the forest receives a high conservation status. Looking at this aspect, there has been a demand for yet another tiger reserve in the state at Tipeshwar which, a few kilometres from the Pench Tiger Reserve.

A letter to this effect was sent to the state revenue and forest minister Sudhir Mungantiwar demanding that since the forest houses around nine tigers, it should be upgraded to a tiger reserve from a wildlife sanctuary — a status which it already holds. If declared, it would be the seventh tiger reserve in the state.

Mungantiwar he said he would definitely look into the upgradation. "It is good to see people taking up conservation. If this is genuinely going to help the wildlife, we will be more than happy to upgrade the status," he added.

Ecologists, activists and politicians have taken up the causes of tiger protection and forest conservation wholeheartedly. They list down the advantages of the reserve status and also how it could curb the issues that are leeching away theforest's health.

"Ecotourism at Tadoba or Pench is very developed, with proper stay facilities and guided tours available throughout the year. Same cannot be said about Tipeshwar. There are three to four villages on the premises which are tainted with animal attacks. If the area is bestowed with the reserve status, animals will be able to move more freely, thus avoiding the man-animal conflict," informed Raju Todsam,the MLA from Yavatmal who also wrote the letter to Mungantiwar.

The forest department cited several positive leads that come with the reserve status. Primarily, the funds allocated at the time of declaration are quite high. G B Lambade, range forest officer of Tipeshwar, said, "The capitals will take care of manpower crunch. We can appoint special tiger force to maintain security throughout the forest.

Considering that a tiger roams the jungle in search of its territory, we will be able to get a bigger buffer zone, which will aid us in conserving surrounding areas."

Ecologists, too, believe that the additional resources will help eliminate the manpower crisis. At the moment, Pandharkawda forest, which is close to Tipeshwar, has six assistant conservators of forest. The same cannot be said about Tipeshwar. "For Tipeshwar and Painganga together, there is only one assistant conservator of forest. For better management, more staff needs to be appointed," said Ramjan Veerani, a zoology professor from Shivramji Moghe Science Arts and Commerce College in Yavatmal.

Ecologists also felt that the status will enhance forest security and prevent it from being exploited by poachers and smugglers. Balaji Yerawar, an environment activist who works in that region, revealed that the unguarded boundaries have led to wood theft and poaching. "There are a lot of Sagwan tree thefts which occur in the forest. Besides, many deer species fall prey to poachers, who come from Hyderabad here and take it away by road. Since there are no guards at the forest entrance, invaders have free access to the forest," he said"
5 users Like Pckts's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

That is great news tfs
3 users Like parvez's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Ashwin Kadiyala
A Stroll In The Summer Rain !

Tipeshwar 2016

*This image is copyright of its original author

PC Digambar Chaple
" Black Rocks"

@ Tipeshwar May-2016.

" Beauty After Bath"

@ Tipeshwar- May-2016.

"Tipeshwar Sisters"

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2016, 05:07 AM by Pckts )

Shrikant Ranade‎ to Wild Sojourns Magazine

Huge Male Tiger at Chorbahuli, Pench Maharashtra.

This is a full frame image at 300 mm

Who is this?^^
Possibly Raiyakassa but definitely not BMW

Pratik Kanojia
Sula-the male tiger of Raiyakassa, though not the largest male in Pench. He is 9 years old (adult).

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

its a tiger from Pench Mh and its definitely not samraat or the khursapur male, looks like a new male.
3 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
Big Grin  ( This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 01:49 PM by Roflcopters )

"Kingfisher" the biggest male of Kanha.

One of the biggest male of Maharashtra from Pench side, the resident male of the Khursapar area. 

Khursapar male in stalking mode, look at the size of his head.

Same guy again

Samrat - the big male of Sillari area from Pench - Maharashtara, he was involved in a fight recently and got a scar on his nose from that fight.

Samrat from last year in May, 2015 (no scar)

Samrat, the king of Sillari with his recent scar on his nose. 

Samrat from feb/2016 

Samrat on the move - feb/2016

Samrat from May/2015, check out the size of this guy. 

Samrat - May/2015

Huge unknown male from Chorbahuli that Pckts recently posted (Pench, MH buffer)
10 users Like Roflcopters's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Samrat is an awesome tiger, tfs copters.
Pench has quite the array of large males.
2 users Like Pckts's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Samrat is awesome. Tfs @Roflcopters

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Kanha tigers,

I though he was samrat but he was from kanha, so he should be another male tiger,

Another guy,

8 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Pench tigers,

4 users Like parvez's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

@parvez do you know when that photo was taken of naak kata male from kahna? He's the one with the scar.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2016, 08:21 PM by parvez )

@Pckts  i think it is an old image taken in 2012, january, but i found the pictures good enough to post here. I think there is no problem with old pictures being posted here or else i will move it to another section

Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-16-2016, 10:21 AM)parvez Wrote: @Pckts  i think it is an old image taken in 2012, january, but i found the pictures good enough to post here. I think there is no problem with old pictures being posted here or else i will move it to another section

No problem, I was just curious since I haven't seen him in a while.
TFS
2 users Like Pckts's post