There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tigers of Central India

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

@Pckts Even tadoba camera trap pictures show massive tigers, but kanha may be bigger on average sizes. Biggest tiger can be seen from either sides imo. Thanks for opinion.
3 users Like parvez's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2016, 04:01 AM by Roflcopters )

this is a tough call and just to simplify things, if there is Kingfisher male and BMW from MP side than there are Jai and Wagdoh from MH side.

I asked Varun thakkar how Kingfisher compared with Jai and i was told that Jai was bigger, infact Jai was bigger than all the Mp and Mh tigers that he had seen. 

Now my personal opinion? 

Past

I would say Panna when the local population still existed, small population but all the males from there were giants. Madla, Brokentooth and the biggest of all "Hairyfoot". M62 the tiger followed by Wildlife Institute of India in their last days in Panna was even bigger than Hairyfoot i think. again this would be a MP group. 

Present

Both Mp and Mh sides are strong, Umred is the next home of giants though. I call dibs on Mahrashtra.
5 users Like Roflcopters's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

No argument on my side, Jai is a huge tiger. He was captured empty with a weight of 238kg adjusted (for any possible scale error) to a minimum of 220kg  so he could easily weigh around 250kg mark if he had a bit to eat and we all know 250kg for any big cat is absolutely massive!

Dr. Habib did say that body measurements were taken but unfortunately he wasn't forthcoming with them, but I'd love to know his dimensions to compare him with other giants of the past.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil strana Offline

And how about Bandhavgarh tigers  ?? Looking at pictures alone, I have the feeling that both Bheem and Jobhi are as big as any from Kanha or Tadoba.
In fact, I believe that tigers from MP and MH are at the same size. The few pictures from Melghat and Satpura also show it.
In my view, more interesting would be to compare Central tigers with South tigers. Prey base in South India is very good ( if I am not wrong there are more Gaurs there, for example ) and competition is also very intense. Is Raja a 250kg tiger ( at least when he was in his prime ) ? Of course it is impossible to reach a conclusive result by pictures alone, but in my opinion Nagarahole/Bandipur have the most impressive tigers in South or Central India.
It would be nice to see what people who knows both tigers think about it .
6 users Like strana's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2016, 07:54 AM by Pckts )

I always thought bandhavgarh tigers were some of the most muscular tigers around. 
But after so many people saying wagdoh was larger than bamera I sort of just brushed them off. But imo Bheem is a massive tiger who can compete with any tiger I have seen.
Bandipur is different since the only tiger I'm fairly familiar with is raja and he certainly is as large as other tigers and I know of a couple of people who say he is a large tiger, no two ways about it.
And they have seen numerous tigers before. 
But outside of kaziranga and northern Indian tigers, I still think kahna seems to have the largest males.
This is obviously my opionion only and it's based off video and images, no eye witnesses unfortunately. 
One day I hope that will change.
4 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2016, 10:30 AM by sanjay )

I think currently most qualified person among us is @Vijay Rajan and he can suggest better about tigers of which area are larger.
for me, tigers form central India and South India are little larger than north India.
5 users Like sanjay's post

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

@Roflcopters, yes of course, Umred tigers are huge. I too thought that way after seeing the pictures. But i personally think kanha males are bigger than any of those from MP or maharashtra with exception of pench. Pench tigers can get as big as kanha tigers or even bigger potentially IMO. Thanks for the opinion.
4 users Like parvez's post

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-11-2016, 06:07 AM by parvez )

I want to know tigers from which reserves are included when we say "Central Indian tigers." Anyone please reply me, some include sariska tigers too. But others say sariska does not include it is in the north. A lot of confusion. As far as my knowledge is concerned, the following reserves are included.
1.Kanha,
2.Pench,
3.Tadoba,
4.Bandhavgarh,
5.Umred,
6.Satpura,
7.Melghat,
8.Bor,
9.Sanjay dubri,
10.Panna,
11.Nagzira,
12.Udanti sitanadi,
13.Indravathi,
14.Satkosia,
15.Achanakmar,
16.Sahyadri.
I got only 10 or 11 of them. After googling the stuff i got all these. 11 of them are major ones, 5 are minor ones. I do not know if tigers from west bengal and rajasthan are central indian tigers or not. Some also include nagarjunasagar tigers too. So, please anyone clarify this.
3 users Like parvez's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I know sariska has tigers translocated from ranthambhore and Ranth. Is considered N. India 

In regards to the discussion, I know kanwaar said that he saw Munna, red eye and t28 (he said he was the largest he saw in  Ranth.) and he said kaziranga and Corbett had the largest cats he has ever seen he also said they have more of an orange coat. He said Himalayan tigers are even larger. 

So I think it's way to hard to tell, each location has its big boys.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

@parvez
Don't forget Tipeshwar MH
" Swimmer "

@ Tipeshwar. May-2016.

*This image is copyright of its original author

" Eye to Eye contact"

@ tipeshwar-apr 2016.

" STAR Aggression"

" STAR Male"
@ Tipeshwar.-2016.

Entrance to the Reserve

They just had bad fires there but the reserve still remains beautiful
4 users Like Pckts's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2016, 11:03 PM by Apollo )

Ive been saying this for a long time.
Jai is the biggest tiger in central India. Thanks to  @Roflcopters  for confirming it again. Almost all my sources confirmed this.
Jai is a massive tiger even bigger than Waghdoh (Jai is also taller and longer than Waghdoh).
Ive never took part in the Jai's weight discussion before because 220kg for Jai is just laughable. Im pretty sure there was a scale error.

Since we know the weight of T24, I like to use him for comparison here.
T24 (Ustaad) weighed in at 240kg at 3.5 years and Jai would dwarf Ustaad by a good margin (everyone seen Jai and T24 said that Jai is way bigger).
Look at this image of Jai with his female T4 below, if Jai is 220kg then T4 should be 100kgs (look how he dwarfs is female in comparison).
Have you ever seen T24 dwarfing a female like this in size....... well definitely not
Remember that weights for wild tigers usually fluctuates depending on the seasons and prey availability.
Honestly anything less than 600lbs for Jai is a joke.

Tadoba

In Tadoba its the Big daddy Waghdoh who is the biggest male.
Next would be Shivaji followed by Katezari and Saturn.

Kanha 

In the previous era Konda and Banda were considered to be biggest males by many.
Currently Kingfisher male from Mukki is the biggest in the tourism zone followed by link7(chotta munna).

Bandhavgarh

Males from charger lineage are generally dense and muscular but short in bodylength.
In the B2 era, it was Bokha who is the biggest male in tourism zone. I would put Bokha right up with Madla interms of size.
If you see some of the old videos of Bokha now, you'll amazed by his shere size.

During Bamera era, Kay Tiwari confirmed that Jobhi was the biggest male but this was before the entry of Bheem.
Once when Bheem came he outsized and outclassed every other male in tourism zone and currently he is the biggest in the tourism area.
It is said that Bheem is as big as Jai in size.
5 users Like Apollo's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Remember that Jai is said to have weighed 238kg empty then reduced to 220kg for possible scale error and adjustments.
I think 238kg empty for any big cat is very large and big cats can eat up to 20% of their body weight (estimated)  so if jai were to have a big meal before being captured, he could be pushing the 600lb mark or 272kg.

But even according to eye witnesses there is still plenty of room for error.
I have been lucky enough to see some big cats lately (captive only), I must say that estimating one to be larger or smaller than another without them being side by side is very difficult.
One cat may be taller or longer or larger head etc, and that makes you say... He's the biggest but too many factors come into play.

Even if jai was larger or smaller than others, he still would be with in range of Kingfisher, Bheem, BMW, Waghdoh or many other C. Indian tigers and trying to determine 10-40kg difference between already large cats is a tough call.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Umred

Jai

Older image of the cubs (unknown which ones)

Look at Jaichand... He's going to be a big fella

PC Ajinkya Sanap

Jai from 2014

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

@Pckts,  tippeswara sanctuary is not a tiger reserve, so i excluded it. It is just a wildlife sanctuary. Anyways thanks for info
4 users Like parvez's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Do we have a topic like this for the Southern tigers?
4 users Like Roflcopters's post