There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tigers of Central India

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 01:07 AM by Rage2277 )

(04-23-2021, 12:53 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: @Pckts, the largest males from all these reserves are in the same weight bracket and there is very little to choose between them. You really couldn’t seperate Mukhtar/Tarzan from Bheem to Karai Ghati. Where people perceive Kanha has more such males is simply a matter of population. Kanha has 140 tigers, Pench on the other hand has 85. Of course more such males will come from Kanha than Pench. Also, Pench does have Gaur, just not as many as Tadoba or Satpura.

pench might have some kanha influence aswell in recent times i've seen some that look like tigers from the kisli/mukki lines
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

I was searching for photos of Bheem from Bandhavgarh and noticed the results were all dated. How is Bheem doing?

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 01:26 AM by Ashutosh )

@tigerluver, Bheem is in Magdhi part of his previous massive territory. Chota Bheem pushed him out from Khitauli and he moved inwards towards Magdhi core and in the process lost his Dhamokar buffer as well. This happened in September-October last year. He is well. Seen time to time. 

I don’t know if Dhamokar female’s litter fathered by Bheem is still alive. The Darraha female is raising his litter, though. He is 12, but still looks decent.

Here he is:

4 users Like Ashutosh's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

@Rage2277, to be fair, before humans fragmented this whole landscape, the tigers would have moved around easily within any Central Indian landscape.

Consider this: Panna had 0 tigers in 2009. By 2018, the population there had already contributed to 6 different tigers moving to 6 different habitats all in different directions and it is still ongoing. As Karanth said, India’s challenge isn’t saving the tiger anymore. It’s saving it’s gene pool by connecting different landscapes.

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

well said @Ashutosh

traveling happens a lot often than most people have knowledge of and it’s sad because we’re slowly losing battle for corridors and connectivity from park to park. still, we have found tigers that ended up finding alternatives to reach from destination A to B. I have always been amazed to say the least, risk factors are huge. how they go above and beyond avoiding all conflict and obstacles in the way itself is a legendary feat on its own. I wish we had actual documentaries that shed light on some of this.
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 11:49 PM by Ashutosh )

Kanha

T46 aka Baisanghat male

Dev Talai male

Tadoba

Rudra

Tala, Rudra’s brother with Maya and 4 cubs

Dadiyal’s son Bheema yet to leave his mother even though she has a new litter

Bandhavgarh

Bajrang

D1

This female called Bhetri (also spelled Bhitri) was found dead 3 days ago.

2 users Like Ashutosh's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

[insta]https://www.instagram.com/p/COEsBo1AgUr/[/nsta]
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Sandeep Sooryaprakash

Bajrang, TATR

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Chota Bheem
5 users Like Pckts's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2021, 11:37 PM by Ashutosh )

Bamerason aka MrX was injured heavily in a clash with an unknown male. He was shifted to the treatment centre inside Bandhavgarh and there were murmurs that he wouldn’t be released. I am glad forest department decided to let him out:

On a side note, the treatment centre looks like a verandah of someone. Why is there a plug point behind him?

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 01:22 AM by Pckts )

(05-05-2021, 11:33 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Bamerason aka MrX was injured heavily in a clash with an unknown male. He was shifted to the treatment centre inside Bandhavgarh and there were murmurs that he wouldn’t be released. I am glad forest department decided to let him out:

On a side note, the treatment centre looks like a verandah of someone. Why is there a plug point behind him?

I saw that, it certainly doesn't look like he's been "released" in that image.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-06-2021, 01:21 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:33 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Bamerason aka MrX was injured heavily in a clash with an unknown male. He was shifted to the treatment centre inside Bandhavgarh and there were murmurs that he wouldn’t be released. I am glad forest department decided to let him out:

I saw that, it certainly doesn't look like he's been "released" in that image.

Apparently this photo was taken from the Samode Lodge, so he's back in the Bandhavgarh. 

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Vishwas Ugale

Dadiyal.

Shirkheda, TATR.
March 2021.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Lycaon's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 04:55 PM by Ashutosh )

@Pckts, Bamerason is out but the more important question is who has taken over his territory in Magdhi? Samode Lodge is in the buffer zone right next to Dhamokar buffer, so, he is clearly not back to his old territory. Do you know who has taken over his old territory and most probably injured him in the process?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-07-2021, 04:53 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: @Pckts, Bamerason is out but the more important question is who has taken over his territory in Magdhi? Samode Lodge is in the buffer zone right next to Dhamokar buffer, so, he is clearly not back to his old territory. Do you know who has taken over his old territory and most probably injured him in the process?

I don’t unfortunately, they did state that he had made a kill and feasted under the shade at the lodge. So at least he’s able to still hunt successfully after the injury and subsequent capture.