There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tiger Directory

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Great profile.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

What a masive female. She weighed as much as T12 the male. 

TFS the info on Nakaa Kataa, what a massive head he has. Must of been some wars between him and munna. 

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2014, 04:59 AM by Apollo )

(07-06-2014, 03:52 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: What a masive female. She weighed as much as T12 the male. 

Yeah she weighed in at 170Kg around 3 years.
This shows that Machali her mother could have weighed much more than 170Kg in her prime.
This huge size combined with aggression and a dominating attitude could be the reason that Machali fought off many males and females for her territory.
It is said that even some young males feared fighting Machali during her prime.
Satara, Athara and Unnis all looked very similar in size and could be more or less around that 170Kg weight range.

Look this documentary for size comparison

1 user Likes Apollo's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM by Roflcopters )

despite Naak Kaata's larger size, it's fair to say that Munna manhandled him to a point that he never wanted a piece of Munna again.. I think the only male that has ever given a tough time to Munna is the new Sarahi male that has taken large chunk of Munna's territory but Munna is still in the game with a big territory, maybe the biggest till this very day... 
*This image is copyright of its original author

this is Naak Kaata's wounds after the fight with Munna, a broken nose and a permanent scar. He may have been unlucky with the meadows but he still is one of the strongest males and second strongest after Munna.

5 users Like Roflcopters's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2014, 07:48 PM by Apollo )

(07-06-2014, 03:51 PM)'Roflcopters' Wrote: despite Naak Kaata's larger size, it's fair to say that Munna manhandled him to a point that he never wanted a piece of Munna again.. I think the only male that has ever given a tough time to Munna is the new Sarahi male that has taken large chunk of Munna's territory but Munna is still in the game with a big territory, maybe the biggest till this very day... 

this is Naak Kaata's wounds after the fight with Munna, a broken nose and a permanent scar. He may have been unlucky with the meadows but he still is one of the strongest males and second strongest after Munna.

Hi Rofl,

I started collecting data on Kanha Tigers for a long time now.
What I found was that most male tigers were killed territorial battles in Kanha when compared other central indian reserves.

I like to share that based on the info I collected the tiger what we call Banda is not actually Banda but a different male.
Banda was actually a very different tiger, much older and even bigger.
Im collecting some more info and once when I get them all ill post it here.

1 user Likes Apollo's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(07-06-2014, 07:47 PM)'Apollo' Wrote:
(07-06-2014, 03:51 PM)'Roflcopters' Wrote: despite Naak Kaata's larger size, it's fair to say that Munna manhandled him to a point that he never wanted a piece of Munna again.. I think the only male that has ever given a tough time to Munna is the new Sarahi male that has taken large chunk of Munna's territory but Munna is still in the game with a big territory, maybe the biggest till this very day... 

Hi Rofl,

I started collecting data on Kanha Tigers for a long time now.
What I found was that most male tigers were killed territorial battles in Kanha when compared other central indian reserves.

I like to share that based on the info I collected the tiger what we call Banda is not actually Banda but a different male.
Banda was actually a very different tiger, much older and even bigger.
Im collecting some more info and once when I get them all ill post it here.

That sounds really interesting and i wouldn't be surprised, as far as Banda goes. Kanha had two banda's from two different eras. One was a male from the Late 70's and the other one was a male sired by Konda and Link 7 female in the early 2000's, sadly I can't remember the exact date anymore.

Banda from Kisli Range (1979) 

Banda (2008)

I have a profile that i think might be of your interest, I can pm you the link so have a look and Goodluck with your research. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

3 users Like Roflcopters's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Thanks for the PM Rofl, it will be very useful for my work.

Regarding the Link7 female litter sired by Konda, can you tell me the exact year when the cubs were born.
It can help me to solve the puzzle.

Thanks

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2014, 02:30 AM by Apollo )

Hi @Roflcopters,

Based on the info I collected

The tiger in the above pic who we call Banda is not Banda.
This tiger is one of the Link 7 brothers, one male brother was collared and the other male brother was not collared.
This is the uncollared male.
These males were born to Link 7 female and Banda.
Yes the father of this tiger is the original Banda.
These two brothers were called Arjuna and Bhima.
The one with the collar is Arjuna.
The one without the collar is Bhima.
Since these tigers are very huge in size like their father Banda, they were also called as Junior Banda 1 and Junior Banda 2.

Konda was never a part of this family.
Konda came to power at Kisli range in 2004 and he never mated with Link 7 female.
Konda had 2 litters with indri female tigress.

2 users Like Apollo's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

awesome work Apollo, did you veryify the information properly and any word on the Indi female cubs. I wonder if Munna is one of them, that would be interesting.. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-07-2014, 11:10 PM)'Roflcopters' Wrote: awesome work Apollo, did you veryify the information properly and any word on the Indi female cubs. I wonder if Munna is one of them, that would be interesting.. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Rofl, 

The information I provided is what I collected with several people.
Some had 10 -15 years of experience with Kanha directly.

Regarding Konda and Indri female, they had 2 litter
1)  Jan 2003 --> 2 cubs (1 male and 1 female) --> I dont have any info on the male cub and the female cub is Indri female 2
2)  Jan 2005 --> 4 cubs ( 3 males and 1 female) --> All 4 cubs were collared in March 2007. One male was moved to Pench, One male is challenging Munna, One male is seen in Kisli range and i dont have any info on the female cub.

As far as Indri tigress, she was moved to Pench in 2009.
Konda was also seen mating with Bandri Chapar female (SiddhiWali tigress), but currently I dont have any info on thsoe matings.

Regarding Munna, he was born to Minkur female and old Mukki male in 2003.
Munna and Pattewala are brothers from the same litter (Munna is most dominant in the litter).
Both the bros moved from Mukki and occupied Kisli and Kanha meadows.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Katezari Male

Atul Dhamankar This is AMITABH- Katezari male tiger. See the image of him....

Harry Punwani I sure you are right Atul, they look the same.. except that he must had a big meal before you took this picture... here is one more of Amitabh !  

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(07-11-2014, 07:30 AM)'Apollo' Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 11:10 PM)'Roflcopters' Wrote: awesome work Apollo, did you veryify the information properly and any word on the Indi female cubs. I wonder if Munna is one of them, that would be interesting.. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Rofl, 

The information I provided is what I collected with several people.
Some had 10 -15 years of experience with Kanha directly.

Regarding Konda and Indri female, they had 2 litter
1)  Jan 2003 --> 2 cubs (1 male and 1 female) --> I dont have any info on the male cub and the female cub is Indri female 2
2)  Jan 2005 --> 4 cubs ( 3 males and 1 female) --> All 4 cubs were collared in March 2007. One male was moved to Pench, One male is challenging Munna, One male is seen in Kisli range and i dont have any info on the female cub.

As far as Indri tigress, she was moved to Pench in 2009.
Konda was also seen mating with Bandri Chapar female (SiddhiWali tigress), but currently I dont have any info on thsoe matings.

Regarding Munna, he was born to Minkur female and old Mukki male in 2003.
Munna and Pattewala are brothers from the same litter (Munna is most dominant in the litter).
Both the bros moved from Mukki and occupied Kisli and Kanha meadows.

Awesome findings, Apollo.

Pattewala's link to Munna is kind of shocking, considering the size between the two was great.. sort of like Mallu and Kallus from Bandhavgarh. 

Bigcat Enthusiast

What is the size difference between Pattewala and Munna?
Who was the larger tiger, munna?

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Name             : T2 = X Male = Big Daddy
Location        : Ranthambore National Park
Year of Birth : Unknown
Ancestry       : Son of Laddu, Brother of Bambu Ram
Status           : RIP
Sex                : Male
Species          : panthera tigris tigris

X male was estimated to be around 280Kg in his prime. He along with Bambu Ram fathered many of the cubs in Ranthambore. X male is a caring father, he spends alot of time with his females and cubs. He died of old age.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Was either Bambu Ram or X male father to Nick ear?
Nick ear was Machlis next mate after bambu ram, correct?
Or was he before?
1 user Likes Pckts's post