There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-13-2020, 09:21 PM)Potato Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 01:52 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Does anyone have any information on the night Pretty Boy received his injuries from the Magingilanes? I had read that he chased the four of them, which ended in a fight, until Makhulu and Mr. T arrived and assisted him. Is there any video or witnesses to this event? Thank you to anyone who might provide some clarity to this!!

**Correction**
It was the Selati who were chased by, and got into a fight with Pretty Boy, not the Magingilanes

1. In 2010 PB apeared with injures to his spine and there was speculations that he may had encounter with Majingilanes althrought fight was never seen and how he got that injures are only speculations.

2. He was also mauled by Salatis in 2012.
Yes, thank you very much for that my friend!!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(06-13-2020, 03:17 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 03:08 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: They killed 100 lions
Including cubs,Lionesses and male lions. So I don't think is "Exaggerated" is the fact.
Willem Botha has claimed that numerous times.

Do you know how many lions that is to kill in a year??

For example, if that was today they would need to kill all Kambula (22), Nkuhuma(19), Talamati(15), Torchwood(14), Othawa(8), Mhangeni(7) prides and that would be only 85 lions, with all other lions theres around 100 lions today in Sabi Sands.. 

And numbers of lions where similar then, if not smaller.. 

By that logic there would be no prides and lions in Sabi Sands today, if they killed 100 lions..

Cmon, just do the math..

I don't need to do any calculate.

The fact is they have killed 100 lions. (and the same guides have said in 1 year) This no isn't a speculation. Anyway the history of the Mapogo was written a long time ago. You don't think is absurd try to cover with mud that ?

Cheers

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

*This image is copyright of its original author

Manyeleti Ranger.
As well is talking about "Sava" That currently are the Matimba males.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

With permission from Willem Botha.  On June 10th, 2010, two days after the death of Kinky Tail, Willem Botha shared in a discussion on a personal profile facebook page some of his experiences with the Mapogo Males.  Willem was the Assistant Warden and Head of Anti Poaching in Sabi Sands during the time these events occurred,

"That is the circle of life. I have first encountered the Mapogo’s one night, I think it was in 2004, whilst tracking pangolin with Jonathan Swart for research purposes. We were on foot busy tracking a collared pangolin when all of a sudden they were there,  between us and our vehicle.

Since then I spent many pleasurable hours with the Mapogo’s and many not so pleasurable. In 2005, they drove the Sand River Pride out of the reserve where 9 of the 11 lionesses and sub adults were shot on instruction of the then minister of environmental aviars of Limpopo province after killing approximately 36 cattle.

I witnessed them killing an female one night. After they killed the female, one  of the Mapogo males mated with the dead female and then they ate her.

From the time I first saw them until I left the Sabi Sand’s, the Mapogos killed between 90 and 110 other lions in the park. I also had to shoot approximately 15 lions that were so badly mauled by the Mapogos that their spines were severed and had to be  put out of their misery.

In January 2009, the Mapogos once again targeted the remaining two females of the Sand River Pride and their cubs and they were once again driven out of the reserve. Floods and washed away fences made it worse and easier for the Sand River Pride to exit the reserve and flee to safety. Both the females and four of the cubs were shot on instruction of Mpumalanga Parks Board. The one sub adult male returned... just to be killed about 3 months later.

The tides have turned and the hunters have now become the hunted. Bless the Mapogos. They were a ferocious pride which gave plenty people wonderful viewing opportunities but the time for them to move on has come. Unfortunately that is the way of the wild but most unfortunate of all is the fact that too many people in the Sands  saw them as their pets and now the emotions are running high. Accept the way of nature and enjoy the new pride."

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-14-2020, 03:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: "That is the circle of life. I have first encountered the Mapogo’s one night, I think it was in 2004,

(06-14-2020, 03:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: From the time I first saw them until I left the Sabi Sand’s, the Mapogos killed between 90 and 110 other lions in the park

So he first saw them in 2004 and this report was in 2010, so thats a span of 6 years. 

Thru the span of 6 years its possible that they killed 100 lions, but not in 1 year..

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(06-14-2020, 04:42 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 03:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: "That is the circle of life. I have first encountered the Mapogo’s one night, I think it was in 2004,

(06-14-2020, 03:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: From the time I first saw them until I left the Sabi Sand’s, the Mapogos killed between 90 and 110 other lions in the park

So he first saw them in 2004 and this report was in 2010, so thats a span of 6 years. 

Thru the span of 6 years its possible that they killed 100 lions, but not in 1 year..
I understand your point of they didn't killed 100 lions in 1 year.

But, Yes they have killed 100 lions
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

even so, 100 lions it's a big number for a coalition. At least that never has happened before in the "Sabi Sands"
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Mapogos vs Buffalos 
______
The Chase
Exeter Report Dated 14 January 2007

3 users Like fursan syed's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Mapogo Lions Report - Concealing the Kill

Report of Exeter River Lodge 

Dated 26 January 2007

2 users Like fursan syed's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-22-2020, 03:40 AM by BA0701 )

While I certainly do not want to aid in the spreading of rumors, speculation, or all out untruths, but I found some really interesting information on Facebook, regarding the events of July 2010, the month Rasta disappeared. I have no doubt many of you may be familiar with this particular post, which is one reason I bringing it up, since so many are more knowledgeable than I on this matter.

It seems that the person who wrote this post has at least done some rudimentary detective work, and has put together many different confirmed sighting videos, pictures, and log entries that clearly show that all 5 Mapogos were alive, uninjured, and well for at least 2 weeks after the supposed night at Elephant Plains. I had not, personally, heard the information in this post previously, but one of the biggest things that struck me was the pictures and video of Pretty Boys injury to his back. Before I even read how the writer described the injuries, the first thing I thought of when I looked at the large gaping hole in his back is how it did not appear to my eye as though it was caused by another lion, in fact it looks like an injury that could be caused by a spear. I do not know enough to declare Khimbini Hlongwane involved in any way, as the writer of the article hints at, and that is furthest from my intention, but the evidence presented does raise questions as to what really happened during that month. I am hoping that perhaps, as the folks in these groups have been doing since I joined, someone more familiar with these events may shine some light on this, just as @Tr1x24 did when answering my questions just a few posts earlier.

My goal is, as it has always been since joining this group. which is to learn more about not just the Mapogos, the group of lions that really peaked my interest in wanting to learn more about lion behavior, but to learn more about this beautiful animal in general.

The image of PBs injury:

*This image is copyright of its original author

The post where I found all of this information:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-mapogos-lions-of-sabi-sand/the-myth-rasta-the-missing-mapogo/1705143389787135/

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-22-2020, 01:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote: While I certainly do not want to aid in the spreading of rumors, speculation, or all out untruths, but I found some really interesting information on Facebook, regarding the events of July 2010, the month Rasta disappeared. I have no doubt many of you may be familiar with this particular post, which is one reason I bringing it up, since so many are more knowledgeable than I on this matter.

As we already discuss this before, Rasta's death is mystery and will stay that..

Everybody can speculate and think what exactly happened, but i think there isnt enough evidence to 100% claim what exactly happened..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(06-22-2020, 04:49 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 01:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote: While I certainly do not want to aid in the spreading of rumors, speculation, or all out untruths, but I found some really interesting information on Facebook, regarding the events of July 2010, the month Rasta disappeared. I have no doubt many of you may be familiar with this particular post, which is one reason I bringing it up, since so many are more knowledgeable than I on this matter.

As we already discuss this before, Rasta's death is mystery and will stay that..

Everybody can speculate and think what exactly happened, but i think there isnt enough evidence to 100% claim what exactly happened..
Entirely correct on all counts. I am not speculating to what happened to Rasta, as that is all it will ever be, I am only questioning the injuries to PB, as that image doesn't appear to be from a fight with another lion, at least to my untrained eye. I have no opinion to the rest of the comments made by the author of that post, but this was the first time I had seen these images of PB's injury, which I why I inquired. We know that Dreadlock's death was at the hands of a poacher, possibly Rasta, but could PB's injury have been caused by men as well?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-22-2020, 04:58 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Entirely correct on all counts. I am not speculating to what happened to Rasta, as that is all it will ever be, I am only questioning the injuries to PB, as that image doesn't appear to be from a fight with another lion, at least to my untrained eye. I have no opinion to the rest of the comments made by the author of that post, but this was the first time I had seen these images of PB's injury, which I why I inquired. We know that Dreadlock's death was at the hands of a poacher, possibly Rasta, but could PB's injury have been caused by men as well?

That injury on PB's back can easly be by the bite of another male.. I dont think that poachers would use spears to hunt lions, yet rifles..

In area around Masai Mara local tribes hunt lions with spears, but in Kruger i dont think thats the case..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(06-22-2020, 01:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 04:58 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Entirely correct on all counts. I am not speculating to what happened to Rasta, as that is all it will ever be, I am only questioning the injuries to PB, as that image doesn't appear to be from a fight with another lion, at least to my untrained eye. I have no opinion to the rest of the comments made by the author of that post, but this was the first time I had seen these images of PB's injury, which I why I inquired. We know that Dreadlock's death was at the hands of a poacher, possibly Rasta, but could PB's injury have been caused by men as well?

That injury on PB's back can easly be by the bite of another male.. I dont think that poachers would use spears to hunt lions, yet rifles..

In area around Masai Mara local tribes hunt lions with spears, but in Kruger i dont think thats the case..

That also looks to me as a bite plus some infection and inflammation. 

As per "Occam's Razor," I tend to prefer the easier explanation of lions doing what lions do, i.e. killing each other for territory and mating rights.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Super Moderator

(06-22-2020, 01:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Ok, I had only recently watched a video on tribes that hunted lions with spears, must be the group you are referring to in the Mara. I certainly wouldn't hunt a lion with a spear, but that's just me. Not that I'd hunt one at all, but if so a rifle would certainly be my weapon of choice. Thanks!