There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Throwback Thursday.

Being the king means not only being the strongest, but also being smart knowing how and when to attack and when to retreat, being smart and studying your opponent before you take any action! It is rare to see a strong king with both strength and intelligence, but with Hairy Belly Matimba, who combined strength and intelligence until the last day of his life when he decided to withdraw and chose to die after achieving achievements in every place where he set his foot in all of Manyeleti and Sabi Sands. He had been a dominant male for ten years alongside his brother Ginger who never let each other down. In this picture, scars tell success stories that did not stop until they died of old age and not by other males!

Kruger National Park, South Africa.
- Photographer Credit -
To follow & for print :- @trevormccallpeat
9 users Like Cunaguaro's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 10:28 AM by 1999gc8 )

(06-04-2021, 03:10 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: Throwback Thursday.

Being the king means not only being the strongest, but also being smart knowing how and when to attack and when to retreat, being smart and studying your opponent before you take any action! It is rare to see a strong king with both strength and intelligence, but with Hairy Belly Matimba, who combined strength and intelligence until the last day of his life when he decided to withdraw and chose to die after achieving achievements in every place where he set his foot in all of Manyeleti and Sabi Sands. He had been a dominant male for ten years alongside his brother Ginger who never let each other down. In this picture, scars tell success stories that did not stop until they died of old age and not by other males!

- Photographer Credit -
Jesus those scars on his forehead are massive. Hairy Belly must have had some serious battles over the years to get those.
1 user Likes 1999gc8's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(06-04-2021, 10:27 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 03:10 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: Throwback Thursday.

- Photographer Credit -
Jesus those scars on his forehead are massive. Hairy Belly must have had some serious battles over the years to get those.

The battles which he never loose...!!! The legend with scars
1 user Likes Raj8143's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Those scars must have been added in photoshop. I do not think it is possible at all for the lion to inflict such kind of injures.
1 user Likes Potato's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-04-2021, 11:24 PM)Potato Wrote: Those scars must have been added in photoshop. I do not think it is possible at all for the lion to inflict such kind of injures.

While if you zoom in close, you can see individual hairs overlapping the scars, if that's photoshop it's likely the finest exhibition of photoshop skills I have ever seen. In fact, through my very amatuer level of photoshop understanding, I do not believe such detail is even possible, those scars are below the hairline, which is something I have never seen.

However, something that severe would have left lasting scars, which would have been visible for years, and I don't recall HB ever possessing such scars. Very perplexing image this one is.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(06-04-2021, 11:24 PM)Potato Wrote: Those scars must have been added in photoshop. I do not think it is possible at all for the lion to inflict such kind of injures.

I now believe this photo is genuine. If you look at the image of the video @lionuk posted in post #1677, taken near the end of HB's life, you can clearly see three scars in the middle of his forehead, and one near his left eye, which align with the scars in this image.

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 11:59 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-04-2021, 11:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I now believe this photo is genuine. If you look at the image of the video @lionuk posted in post #1677, taken near the end of HB's life, you can clearly see three scars in the middle of his forehead, and one near his left eye, which align with the scars in this image.

As Photoshop user, those scars are definitely original and not photoshoped..its too much detail, even for pro..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2021, 12:11 AM by BA0701 )

(06-04-2021, 11:55 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 11:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I now believe this photo is genuine. If you look at the image of the video @lionuk posted in post #1677, taken near the end of HB's life, you can clearly see three scars in the middle of his forehead, and one near his left eye, which align with the scars in this image.

As Photoshop user, those scars are definitely original and not photoshoped..its too much detail, even for pro..
Yeah, that's what I thought. If that was PS, then those are some serious, Disney Pixar level of skills. Thank you for verifying that my friend!
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

that looks from a dug in claw that got pulled across his face, those are the craziest scars I have seen on a lion.
2 users Like sik94's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-05-2021, 12:36 AM)sik94 Wrote:

that looks from a dug in claw that got pulled across his face, those are the craziest scars I have seen on a lion.

They look very wide for a made by lion's claws. Also they are across entire HB's face, it couldn't be made by a single paw strike. I do not believe it could have been caused by other lion.  I wonder how and when could have he get them :o

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2021, 12:59 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-05-2021, 12:47 AM)Potato Wrote: They look very wide for a made by lion's claws. Also they are across entire HB's face, it couldn't be made by a single paw strike. I do not believe it could have been caused by other lion.  I wonder how and when could have he get them

Why are we even having discussion over this, its clearly visiable that this is natural claw mark, 4 uperr claw marks and 1 lower right mark.. Middle one is sustained from another blow.. 

Details are too precise to be photoshoped..

If somebody photoshoped this, let me know, im giving him thousand dollars..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(06-05-2021, 12:58 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 12:47 AM)Potato Wrote: They look very wide for a made by lion's claws. Also they are across entire HB's face, it couldn't be made by a single paw strike. I do not believe it could have been caused by other lion.  I wonder how and when could have he get them

Why are we even having discussion over this, its clearly visiable that this is natural claw mark, 4 uperr claw marks and 1 lower right mark.. Middle one is sustained from another blow.. 

Details are too precise to be photoshoped..

If somebody photoshoped this, let me know, im giving him thousand dollars..

He wore these scars very well. I have seen animals with less perceivable damage, that left them with much more prominant scars. You really have to look hard to see these through the years, his magnificent mane must have carried over to the hair around his face :), allowing them to be well covered.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-05-2021, 01:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote: He wore these scars very well. I have seen animals with less perceivable damage, that left them with much more prominant scars. You really have to look hard to see these through the years, his magnificent mane must have carried over to the hair around his face :), allowing them to be well covered.

Lion scars heal really well, Nkuhuma male had big injury on his jaw few months ago, and only after 1 month it healed so well that it is not visiable whatsoever..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

(06-05-2021, 12:47 AM)Potato Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 12:36 AM)sik94 Wrote:

They look very wide for a made by lion's claws. Also they are across entire HB's face, it couldn't be made by a single paw strike. I do not believe it could have been caused by other lion.  I wonder how and when could have he get them :o
A lion's claw is bigger when fully outstretched, that's totally possible with a single paw strike if another lion gets a good grip on his face.
2 users Like sik94's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2021, 10:13 PM by Cunaguaro )

(06-05-2021, 01:15 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 01:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote: He wore these scars very well. I have seen animals with less perceivable damage, that left them with much more prominant scars. You really have to look hard to see these through the years, his magnificent mane must have carried over to the hair around his face :), allowing them to be well covered.

Lion scars heal really well, Nkuhuma male had big injury on his jaw few months ago, and only after 1 month it healed so well that it is not visiable whatsoever..

Just remember Mfumo's wound that practically had a hole in his face and then he was totally healed. A few months later he seemed to have never had anything on his face. Only his distinctive wound remained below the right eye.
2 users Like Cunaguaro's post