There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Gijima Offline

(08-10-2021, 08:02 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 07:55 PM)Gijima Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 06:37 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 02:18 AM)Gijima Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

This must be one of the last photos of  Hairy Belly taken in Singita.

Credit: Jeffers Adventures
This is an old sighting from 2018/19 when they've arrived in the Western sector of Sabi Sands

2019?? He looks really emaciated in this photo. I knew Ginger was in bad shape when they arrived in the Western sector but I though HB was still in decent condition.

Both Matimba males were looking tough and  bruised when they've arrived in the Western sector of Sabi Sands again. Although Ginger looked a bit bruised than HB. At one point HB also looked in bad shape. This is an sighting of Ginger Matimba posted on October 2018. Caption written by Joffers Photograhy: The Matimba males having been spending a lot of time with the othowa pride and have been following their every movement. They have been vocalising announcing their presence daily. They seem to be going strong and doing well holding their territory. Here this male was testing to see the status of one of the othowa females.
Photo credits: Joffers Photography

They had a really tough time in the Manyeleti. Makes me respect them more now seeing both of them looked like they were on death's door and then pulled through to have one more litter!
3 users Like Gijima's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Four of the Matimba males on a stroll
Slitnose - White-faced - Hairy Belly and Shaka. 
Photo credits: SimonDP Photography 

13 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-14-2021, 07:38 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Four of the Matimba males on a stroll
Slitnose - White-faced - Hairy Belly and Shaka. 
Photo credits: SimonDP Photography 

When was it taken? 2012?
2 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A beautiful capture of Shaka 1/6 Matimba males. Judging for the big similarities. He could be litter mate of Ginger Matimba
 Photo credits: Brian Edmund Aylmer

9 users Like Timbavati's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

True Warrior.

Ginger Matimba.
The wildlife in which only the strong can survive, he is not not a survivor in the time of the strong males, but a fierce warrior!

Today is the second anniversary since our beloved Ginger of the great Matimba coalition passed away and left a void in the lion kingdom.
Ginger was born one of six brothers. These brothers first appeared in the Manyeleti in 2010 and within the year they dominated the area. This was complete domination until 2012 where they would lose their eldest brother and leader of their coalition. A year would pass and the five brothers would maintain their territory. Their territory expansion would not slow down though and in 2013 the remaining brothers would split into a three and two coalition. This is where Ginger and his brother Hairy Belly would become the Southern Matimba another new life. They would maintain the prides they had with their brothers and expand and take new prides. Anything was possible as long as these two had each others backs and that is what happened. They fought all sorts of coalitions. Sometimes they would be successful even when numbers would not favour them.

They faced hardships losing their prides to bigger and younger coalitions, being caught alone and mauled. They have lost it all before, such had happened with so many coalitions in the past and you never see them again.

But the Matimbas would be different they would rise and become kings again. Through it all they would support one and other. Their loyalty and decisive actions during dangerous times has made these two lions the most or one of the most successful duo to walk the Kruger park . Ginger sadly passed two years ago at a age of 13/14 + years and still being able to take a pride at this age shows you their strength . They have sired so many offspring with most of the prides at Sabi Sands during their reign, that their legacy is guaranteed to live on.

Sabi Sands, South Africa.
Photographer Credit:
To follow & for prints: @donheynekephoto

8 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Throwback to SlitNose having an interaction with Mbiri pride and 2 subadult males, 1 of those subadults is still alive and he is known as Nsemani male (Older Mbiri) , that was more then 8 years ago :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Australia Herekitty Offline

The magnificent Nduna Matimba at Manyeleti in 2011/12. According to Imbali Safari Lodge he was last seen in the Mluwati Concession around July 2013. Image by Drizzle Jordaan, Sept. 2018.

12 users Like Herekitty's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-09-2021, 01:37 PM)Herekitty Wrote: The magnificent Nduna Matimba at Manyeleti in 2011/12. According to Imbali Safari Lodge he was last seen in the Mluwati Concession around July 2013. Image by Drizzle Jordaan, Sept. 2018.

Yea, Ndunha didn't disappeare in 2012 as people think..

He was often seen alone in Mluwati Concession, prob even had a pride or females to mate there, he was there known as Stompie Joe..

Picture of Imbali Lodge from October 2012 :

He was prob spliting more and more from his partners and sightings of him where less and less in Manyeleti/Sabi Sands..

Last time seen in July 2013 by Imbali Lodge, now its a mystery what happened to him, prob either killed by rival males there or there is a possibility that he split indefinetly and moved deeper into Kruger.
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Photo of young Matimbas, Hairy Belly in front :

Photo Credits : Drizzle Jordaan

11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Hairy Belly in 2013 :

Photo Credits : Robin Hester

10 users Like Tr1x24's post

leaobr Offline

(09-17-2021, 02:54 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Hairy Belly in 2013 :

Photo Credits : Robin Hester

Amazing! How old was he in this photo?
2 users Like leaobr's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-17-2021, 04:12 PM)leaobr Wrote: Amazing! How old was he in this photo?

Around 6-7.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Scar Mbiri Offline
Banned

https://youtu.be/85ukMnl6Nlw

The guide here james is talking about ginger and hairy belly being bigger than the bboys. I also have a clip where he says that they are about 20% heavier than the 2 bboys,its just an estimate but lets say the 2 bboys he was talking about were Nhenha and mfumo,wich could be 240kgs. That makes hb and ginger about 276 to 290kgs. I know still just an estimate but I would believe an estimate from a guide more than i will from a normal person on the internet
1 user Likes Scar Mbiri's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(09-25-2021, 08:01 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: https://youtu.be/85ukMnl6Nlw

The guide here james is talking about ginger and hairy belly being bigger than the bboys. I also have a clip where he says that they are about 20% heavier than the 2 bboys,its just an estimate but lets say the 2 bboys he was talking about were Nhenha and mfumo,wich could be 240kgs. That makes hb and ginger about 276 to 290kgs. I know still just an estimate but I would believe an estimate from a guide more than i will from a normal person on the internet

240kgs is VERY generous for Nhenha and Mfumo, maybe 210kgs, probably more like 200kgs. HB could be 240kgs, probably more like 230kgs.
3 users Like sik94's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-25-2021, 08:01 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: The guide here james is talking about ginger and hairy belly being bigger than the bboys. I also have a clip where he says that they are about 20% heavier than the 2 bboys,its just an estimate but lets say the 2 bboys he was talking about were Nhenha and mfumo,wich could be 240kgs. That makes hb and ginger about 276 to 290kgs. I know still just an estimate but I would believe an estimate from a guide more than i will from a normal person on the internet

Date on that video?

If thats around 2015/2016, Bboys where still quite young there while Matimbas where in their prime years and Hairy Belly was a monster at that time, so its young males vs prime males. 

I mean yea, Matimbas where prob larger then Bboys, but in my opinion size between biggest males (for example Hairy Belly and Nhenha) is not that huge..

We can see that in Hairy Belly encounter with Nsuku, he looks bigger, yes, but Nsuku was smallest of Bboys, so for example Nhenha also looks huge compared to Nsuku and is prob close to Hairy Belly, althrough Hairy Belly is prob the biggest male in Sabi Sands in recent times.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post