There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Legendary Hairy Belly around 10 yrs apart :

Photo Credits : Drizzle Jordaan and Jen

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

7 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 10:59 PM by Tr1x24 )

A lot of attention over the years was on S. Matimbas in Sabi Sands , but N. Matimbas where massive beasts, imagen if they stayed together..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Some of the best manes in the business
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(05-06-2021, 10:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: imagen if they stayed together
Then they probably would not have been as succesfull in terms of amount of raised offspring.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-07-2021, 12:16 AM)Potato Wrote: Then they probably would not have been as succesfull in terms of amount of raised offspring.

Thats true, they controlled too vast of an territory and prides to stick together.. 

In 2012/2013 before split, at their peak they controlled area from around Tintswalo Lodge to almost MalaMala, which is insane.. So obiviously they needed to split to sustain that.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(05-07-2021, 12:39 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 12:16 AM)Potato Wrote: Then they probably would not have been as succesfull in terms of amount of raised offspring.

Thats true, they controlled too vast of an territory and prides to stick together.. 

In 2012/2013 before split, at their peak they controlled area from around Tintswalo Lodge to almost MalaMala, which is insane.. So obiviously they needed to split to sustain that.

They had even bigger arena as just before they split they tookover Northern Manyeleti with Koppies pride. Also it is believed they had some pride in Kruger, Nduna spent his time with.
2 users Like Potato's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Yeah. Big coalitions are often just big disasters. 
They only really favour the top one or two males in the group. So the rest of the male lions are just foot soldiers that have to fight over scraps. As a result there is a lot of aggression within the group which then gets vented on the poor lionesses or cubs which are already struggling to feed themselves. 
With those numbers, the coalition can just take over every pride they want. So instead of getting a set small territory. They just hop prides, killing the males and the cubs while leaving the previous pride to rot. 

It may seem that they are succesfull. But most of the members are probably pretty miserable in it. 

So I am not that mournful when a big coalition falls apart. Or consider their size of territory or amount of prides taken over a measure off success. I think smaller coalitions of around 3 are far more optimal. They are big enough to defend themselves. But small enough for every member to get the spoils and keep aggression low.

The Matimbas were just smart enough to realize this too.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-07-2021, 01:53 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Yeah. Big coalitions are often just big disasters. 
They only really favour the top one or two males in the group. So the rest of the male lions are just foot soldiers that have to fight over scraps. As a result there is a lot of aggression within the group which then gets vented on the poor lionesses or cubs which are already struggling to feed themselves. 
With those numbers, the coalition can just take over every pride they want. So instead of getting a set small territory. They just hop prides, killing the males and the cubs while leaving the previous pride to rot. 

It may seem that they are succesfull. But most of the members are probably pretty miserable in it. 

So I am not that mournful when a big coalition falls apart. Or consider their size of territory or amount of prides taken over a measure off success. I think smaller coalitions of around 3 are far more optimal. They are big enough to defend themselves. But small enough for every member to get the spoils and keep aggression low.

The Matimbas were just smart enough to realize this too.

Well, almost all coalitions of 5+ males split after taking over their first territory and prides anyways.. 

You rarely see an established/already dominant coalition of 5+ males together conquering their next territory.. 

I think Jocks where the only ones recently, who went in conquest of their 2nd territory around Lower Sabie as 5 male coalition, and maybe Mpondos on Jock area, althrough im not sure if 5th Mpondo was with them,i think he was still back with Renosterkoppies pride. 

But i agree, 3-4 males is the most optimal.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(05-07-2021, 12:06 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Some of the best manes in the business

Near Crater Lion level manes on those boys, not often you see such manes outside of the crater.
3 users Like BA0701's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

3 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Dozie still ruled Nkuhumas in 2010? I thought he was removed by mapogos in 2007
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(05-08-2021, 07:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Dozie still ruled Nkuhumas in 2010? I thought he was removed by mapogos in 2007

Blondie was. Dozie with some Nkuchuma lionesses and cubs moved away from Mapogos towards north to Manyeleti.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(05-08-2021, 07:58 PM)Potato Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 07:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Dozie still ruled Nkuhumas in 2010? I thought he was removed by mapogos in 2007

Blondie was. Dozie with some Nkuchuma lionesses and cubs moved away from Mapogos towards north to Manyeleti.

And this became the talamati pride?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(05-08-2021, 08:00 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 07:58 PM)Potato Wrote:

And this became the talamati pride?

Yes