There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

United Kingdom Scar Mbiri Offline
Banned

(09-25-2021, 08:22 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 07:31 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: https://youtu.be/85ukMnl6Nlw

The guide here james is talking about ginger and hairy belly being bigger than the bboys. I also have a clip where he says that they are about 20% heavier than the 2 bboys,its just an estimate but lets say the 2 bboys he was talking about were Nhenha and mfumo,wich could be 240kgs. That makes hb and ginger about 276 to 290kgs. I know still just an estimate but I would believe an estimate from a guide more than i will from a normal person on the internet

240kgs is VERY generous for Nhenha and Mfumo, maybe 210kgs, probably more like 200kgs. HB could be 240kgs, probably more like 230kgs.
I didnt want to share this but i gues i will have to,to clarify. The biggest of the mapogos were 230kgs. I also have that convo but would prefer not to share it. And if the bboys are much bigger than mapogos guess that puts them at 220-260kg range. And the matimbas were 15-20% bigger than bboys. Now do the math. I know its not like official weight but its roughly accurate. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Scar Mbiri's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-25-2021, 08:32 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: I didnt want to share this but i gues i will have to,to clarify. The biggest of the mapogos were 230kgs. I also have that convo but would prefer not to share it. And if the bboys are much bigger than mapogos guess that puts them at 220-260kg range. And the matimbas were 15-20% bigger than bboys. Now do the math. I know its not like official weight but its roughly accurate. 

Guys, these are are speculations, nobody weighted or messure these lions side by side, its all personal opinion or impression, all guides/rangers have different opinions and impressions.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Banned

(09-25-2021, 08:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 07:31 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: The guide here james is talking about ginger and hairy belly being bigger than the bboys. I also have a clip where he says that they are about 20% heavier than the 2 bboys,its just an estimate but lets say the 2 bboys he was talking about were Nhenha and mfumo,wich could be 240kgs. That makes hb and ginger about 276 to 290kgs. I know still just an estimate but I would believe an estimate from a guide more than i will from a normal person on the internet

Date on that video?

If thats around 2015/2016, Bboys where still quite young there while Matimbas where in their prime years and Hairy Belly was a monster at that time, so its young males vs prime males. 

I mean yea, Matimbas where prob larger then Bboys, but in my opinion size between biggest males (for example Hairy Belly and Nhenha) is not that huge..

We can see that in Hairy Belly encounter with Nsuku, he looks bigger, yes, but Nsuku was smallest of Bboys, so for example Nhenha also looks huge compared to Nsuku and is prob close to Hairy Belly, althrough Hairy Belly is prob the biggest male in Sabi Sands in recent times.
For me personally hairy belly matimbas prime was in 2014 and before. Also there wasnt a good angle of nsuku and HB when they had a confrontation. 

Banned

(09-25-2021, 08:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 08:32 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: I didnt want to share this but i gues i will have to,to clarify. The biggest of the mapogos were 230kgs. I also have that convo but would prefer not to share it. And if the bboys are much bigger than mapogos guess that puts them at 220-260kg range. And the matimbas were 15-20% bigger than bboys. Now do the math. I know its not like official weight but its roughly accurate. 

Guys, these are are speculations, nobody weighted or messure these lions side by side, its all personal opinion or impression, all guides/rangers have different opinions and impressions.
Still if a guide with such confidence says they are much bigger than other lions. I will surely believe him. At the end of the day hes a guide and has spent lots of time with the animals unlike us who think we know everything by looking from our computers
1 user Likes Scar Mbiri's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(09-25-2021, 08:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Guys, these are are speculations, nobody weighted or messure these lions side by side, its all personal opinion or impression, all guides/rangers have different opinions and impressions.

I realize that, but come on let's not exaggerate things so much. I could link stuff from wildearth putting Bboys at 190kgs, speculation is speculation but then there are ridiculous claims.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Banned

(09-25-2021, 08:54 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 08:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Guys, these are are speculations, nobody weighted or messure these lions side by side, its all personal opinion or impression, all guides/rangers have different opinions and impressions.

I realize that, but come on let's not exaggerate things so much. I could link stuff from wildearth putting Bboys at 190kgs, speculation is speculation but then there are ridiculous claims.

Show those clips and no mapogos were more than 230kgs just to let yall know how heavy they were. I guess makhulu and dreads were 225-230. Nhenha being bigger than them in my opinion puts nhenha at the same weight if not more. I dont think these are ridiculous claims bur logical.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-25-2021, 08:32 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: I didnt want to share this but i gues i will have to,to clarify
I do not understand why don't you wanna share this :o Those are intresting stuff, pls share. Also could you share the link to that Rob the Ranger video with the comment you put screenshot of?
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-25-2021, 07:31 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: The guide here james is talking about ginger and hairy belly being bigger than the bboys. I also have a clip where he says that they are about 20% heavier than the 2 bboys,its just an estimate but lets say the 2 bboys he was talking about were Nhenha and mfumo,wich could be 240kgs. That makes hb and ginger about 276 to 290kgs. I know still just an estimate but I would believe an estimate from a guide more than i will from a normal person on the internet
Idk Why that is suprising to someone. Southern Matimbas were always described by guides as very big while Biminghams were not. 

(09-25-2021, 08:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: If thats around 2015/2016, Bboys where still quite young there while Matimbas where in their prime years and Hairy Belly was a monster at that time, so its young males vs prime males. 
Probably 2016/2017 as Birminghams took over just in later parts of 2015. Also I doesn't matter if they were in their prime or almost in their pride. Same for example if a men is 1,6m high when he is 16/17 years old, He will not suddenly grow to 1,9m tall by the age of 19/20.

(09-25-2021, 08:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: but in my opinion size between biggest males (for example Hairy Belly and Nhenha) is not that huge..
So there is your opinion vs opinion of multiple Djuma guides which worked with those lions for years and probably were watching them for hundreds of hours in life while you are just basing on your imagination. 

Also other intresting video from the same channel with another guide opinion:

3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-25-2021, 08:45 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: Still if a guide with such confidence says they are much bigger than other lions. I will surely believe him. At the end of the day hes a guide and has spent lots of time with the animals unlike us who think we know everything by looking from our computers

Tell me, by that logic, how much bigger should Matimbas be over Mapogos?? , If it goes Mapogos >Selatis>Majingilanes >bboys > Matimbas??

By that logic Mapogos should be the size of subadults.. 

You cant look like that, all those lions are quite similar in size, some bigger, some smaller, yes, but you cant see the difference  between similar males in size if they are not side by side, or weighted. 

You can see the difference between idk, some smaller males like Nsuku,Tinyo, Selati #3, Kinky Tail etc. compared to bigger males like Hairy Belly, Selati #1, Dreadlocks/Makhulu, Nhenha, Dark Mane Avoca, Big Boy Charleston etc.. 

But you cant see the difference between idk Hairy Belly and Big Boy Charleston if you dont see them side by side, because size difference is minimal.. 

So, i dont like these comparisons, because majority of males are quite similar in size..

Banned

Well rob told me not to really share because mapogo lovers or haters will twist info. And idk wich video he wrote the comment and i shared it because it was on FB already. All am saying is Bboys were larger than mapogos and the biggest of the mapogo is no larger than the biggest of the bboy. Actually smaller,i dont see why nhenha couldnt be 240kgs in his prime. Why are we coming with such low numbers especially for HB,like is everything good??. I know guate does his thing and yall think hes some expert on lions so you guys believe him. But i believe people who have seen these animals many many times more than some wannabe on the internet. Not arguing but am saying facts here

Banned

(09-25-2021, 09:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 08:45 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: Still if a guide with such confidence says they are much bigger than other lions. I will surely believe him. At the end of the day hes a guide and has spent lots of time with the animals unlike us who think we know everything by looking from our computers

Tell me, by that logic, how much bigger should Matimbas be over Mapogos?? , If it goes Mapogos >Selatis>Majingilanes >bboys > Matimbas??

By that logic Mapogos should be the size of subadults.. 

You cant look like that, all those lions are quite similar in size, some bigger, some smaller, yes, but you cant see the difference  between similar males in size if they are not side by side, or weighted. 

You can see the difference between idk, some smaller males like Nsuku,Tinyo, Selati #3, Kinky Tail etc. compared to bigger males like Hairy Belly, Selati #1, Dreadlocks/Makhulu, Nhenha, Dark Mane Avoca, Big Boy Charleston etc.. 

But you cant see the difference between idk Hairy Belly and Big Boy Charleston if you dont see them side by side, because size difference is minimal.. 

So, i dont like these comparisons, because majority of males are quite similar in size..

If you have seen wild male lions irl you will know what am talking about. Also there was this post on WF of 2 captive lions. One was 180 the other 250 he was called aslan i think. And there was barely any size difference. But wait till you see them irl you will think different. And yesapogos were pretty much avarage except for rasta,dreads and makhulu i dont see whats the problem here

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-25-2021, 08:57 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: Show those clips and no mapogos were more than 230kgs just to let yall know how heavy they were. I guess makhulu and dreads were 225-230. Nhenha being bigger than them in my opinion puts nhenha at the same weight if not more. I dont think these are ridiculous claims bur logical.
Also to a bit "counter" Rob's word I would like to point out:

1. Acording to Londolozi guide KNP males were definitelly bigger than Majingilanes. 
2. Acording to Sabi Sabi guide 2 last Mapogos were bigger than KNP males
3. Majingilanes even being significantly past their pride and even outnumbered were easly dominating Birminghams their confrontations. I find it hard to believe such think could occur if the Birminghams were same size or even bigger than Majingilanes.

BTW could someone confirm if Rob was even working with Birminghams and Matimbas at some point? I know he worked in western sector so obviously he had great viewings on Mapogos, Salatis and Majingis, but what about Birminghams and Matimbas?
1 user Likes Potato's post

Banned

(09-25-2021, 09:26 PM)Potato Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 08:57 PM)Scar Mbiri Wrote: Show those clips and no mapogos were more than 230kgs just to let yall know how heavy they were. I guess makhulu and dreads were 225-230. Nhenha being bigger than them in my opinion puts nhenha at the same weight if not more. I dont think these are ridiculous claims bur logical.
Also to a bit "counter" Rob's word I would like to point out:

1. Acording to Londolozi guide KNP males were definitelly bigger than Majingilanes. 
2. Acording to Sabi Sabi guide 2 last Mapogos were bigger than KNP males
3. Majingilanes even being significantly past their pride and even outnumbered were easly dominating Birminghams their confrontations. I find it hard to believe such think could occur if the Birminghams were same size or even bigger than Majingilanes.

BTW could someone confirm if Rob was even working with Birminghams and Matimbas at some point? I know he worked in western sector so obviously he had great viewings on Mapogos, Salatis and Majingis, but what about Birminghams and Matimbas?
Majins probably beat bboys because they were much more experianced. And no ive asked rob and he told me he never saw matimbas and i dont know if he saw bboys. Rob most definately discussed with other rangers about their sizes before. I mean i didnt expect rob to even know about black dam lion let alone his skull size.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-25-2021, 08:54 PM)sik94 Wrote: I realize that, but come on let's not exaggerate things so much. I could link stuff from wildearth putting Bboys at 190kgs, speculation is speculation but then there are ridiculous claims.
The problem is that there are no proper researches on weight of lions in KNP so no one know if the avarage size lion is 170kg or 210 or 230 and therefore there are such a spreads in weigh estimations.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2021, 09:36 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-25-2021, 09:11 PM)Potato Wrote: Probably 2016/2017 as Birminghams took over just in later parts of 2015. Also I doesn't matter if they were in their prime or almost in their pride. Same for example if a men is 1,6m high when he is 16/17 years old, He will not suddenly grow to 1,9m tall by the age of 19/20.

You cant compare lions in their prime (7-9 yrs old) and teenage lions (4-5 yrs), idk what you say about that, thats a fact, show me 1 lion who looks more impressive at the age of 5 then he looks at the age of 8, i will wait.. 

(09-25-2021, 09:11 PM)Potato Wrote: So there is your opinion vs opinion of multiple Djuma guides which worked with those lions for years and probably were watching them for hundreds of hours in life while you are just basing on your imagination. 

Also other intresting video from the same channel with another guide opinion:

I never claimed that Bboys are bigger or same in size of S Matimbas,they where not, im just saying that biggest of Bboys (Nhenha) is prob close to size of S. Matimbas, i mean even Junior Matimba was close to size to Ginger at only 3.5 yrs old, Junior Othawa was almost tall as Hairy Belly (yes he was old, but height is height) when he was not even 3 yrs old..

But these discussions are ridiculous, we have them every month, no point of it.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post